Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New-to-me GT Avalanche – building questions
  • mrsoane
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to get hold of a near-perfect GT Avalanche 2 frame that is 99% complete, just in need of a disc wheel and headset…

GT AVALANCHE 2 by supervee_2000, on Flickr

…and the headset is the one item I’m not quite sure on. Which type can I fit? I know it’s a relatively daft question but I’ve only owned Cannondales with their Headshock fork so this is the first ‘normal’ bike I’ve had to build.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well mine was an integrated, but they get called different things, best to measure the cups of the headtube to prevent buying the wrong one.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

from looking at the picture it would appear that the headset cups are installed and will need either, replacing or new bearings. (i would get a new headset.

Im fairly certain its a 1″1/8th internal headset.

unklehomered
    Free Member

internal

That’s the word I was looking for, one of those yes,

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

integrated is when the cups cant be removed (most modern road bikes) internal is when the cups can be removed.

im sure some one will come along and tell me im wrong but thats just STW

mrsoane
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I thought it doesn’t look like a conventional headset, both upper and lower cups are flush with the headstock. Hmm…

mrsoane
    Free Member

Ok, off the Evans website, it should have a FSA no.10 zerostack. Now the zerostack I think I understand, that’s why it is flush but what is a number 10 headset?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Semi-integrated is the term I think.

mrsoane
    Free Member

OK it looking like I need to order a replacement so giving Chain Reaction a call tomorrow. Anyone installed one or is it a bike shop visit?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Here’s what works in 07’s, 08’s and possibly 09’s.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-headset-for-gt-avalanche-integrated-i-think

If in any more doubt take a photo of whats in there now (or just the headtube) and let us know.

Otherwise, try this:
    http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

It lists most GTs and you can get the dimensions to then go buy something other than CC if you want to save a few bob.

#Edit – forgot to say its an easyish diy job. Screwdriver and hammer to remove. The usual press fit for the new one. Note that if its still on its original (really low quality) HS once you tap it – balls are likey to fly everywhere. ime.

Great bike btw. Enjoy!. I still have mine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New-to-me GT Avalanche – building questions’ is closed to new replies.