• This topic has 30 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Gribs.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New tent time, 2 man
  • Mounty_73

I have used a small tent for the last 10 years or so, now I want something with a bit more space and comfort. I just need to be able to sit up inside and have room to move about etc.

I have a Lunar Solo for the lightweight set up, but now I am just about to start looking for a 2 man tent, budget £100 to £200 and it will be for (mostly car camping.

I quite like the MSR Elixir 2 tent, any others worth looking at?

Cheers.

cultsdave
    Free Member

For car camping anything will do? What else will you use it for and go from there would be my advise.
    I have the lightweight version of the Nordisk Halland, which is out with your budget but the normal version is almost there. Plenty space for 2 and a reasonable porch. Goes up inner and fly together so its quick and matters less in the rain.

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/camping-c13/tents-c93/2-person-tents-c150/nordisk-halland-2-pu-p41163/s240566?cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOyJBhA4EiwAEcJdcaOGPTd06cV40P5TYOqwrQAOLBxMW1nmnEtbT61EIlOoEwh_RCZIZhoCRjsQAvD_BwE

Mounty_73

Sorry I forgot to add with some wild camping/back packing, so nothing that requires a donkey or a mule to carry it 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

We’ve the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. With the footprint it weighs 1500g so split between the two of us it’s 750g each. I’m 1m80 tall and there’s plenty of room to sit up without my head brushing the ceiling. Comes nowhere near your £200 limit though. Also it’s an inner first pitch but in practice that hasn’t been a problem. It’s very similar, but slightly taller than the MSR 2 man Hubba.

The Jaran 2 is Alpkit’s version of it. https://alpkit.com/products/jaran-2 which is in your budget.

It’s worth seeing one in the flesh as things like headroom aren’t apparent from diagrams. A friend has the MSR 1 man Hubba and it’s too short for me to sit up in. Also check things like your sleeping mat(s) can fit inside.

Kryton57

I recently upgraded to one of these for away bike events”

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-2-seconds-xl-fresh-black-2-person/_/R-p-172536?mc=8492483&c=WHITE

Seems a lot of bang for your buck and the added straps and buckles make the cutting away procedure half the effort it used to be.

jimdubleyou

Whatever NatureHike model takes your fancy.

I’ve got a Cloud Up 2 which is perfectly adequate but for easy 2person use I’d go Mongar now.

They are similar patterns to the MSR and Big Agnes models, but not so spendy/good.

Few people on here have stuff from them and it’s generally ok stuff.

Yak

I use an alpkit viso 3. Decent space for 2 and spot on budget.

dyna-ti

On budget here too, the Alpkit Aeronaut inflatable.
    https://alpkit.com/products/aeronaut-2

I like the look of the 1 man*(*is this sexist) and the idea of inflatable tents in general, but all the other examples I’ve seen are very expensive. This is the first one at a decent price

aP
    Free Member

The (recently new) Decathlon 2 Seconds Easy tent should meet your needs.

grum
    Free Member

Naturehike +1 or MSR/Big Agnes if you want the spendier versions.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would all depend on what else you’ll be using it for other than car camping tbh.

Pieface

I’d suggest something with a porch on both sides that you sleep across – its easier for getting in and out and if 2 people actually sleep in it you won’t disturb each other.

The MSR Elixir 2 fits the bill, otherwise Decathlon do variations on the same layout at different weight / price points.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/self-standing-3-seasons-trekking-2-person-tent-trek-900-grey/_/R-p-301558?mc=8501684

anagallis_arvensis

I have a lanshan tipi tent, its huge, tall and light.

duncancallum

Vango banshee200?

duncancallum

Though if your car camping look at the beta or Arch

stox
    Free Member

I have an MSR Elixir 1 that I got for cycle touring. I’ve only used it a couple of times so far but I think it’s fantastic.

Plenty of room for a 1 man tent so I doubt you’d have any complaints with the Elixr 2 for size.

Gribs

I’ll recommend what I have even though it’s hugely over budget. A Terra Nova Voyager. Mine is nearly 25 years old and still works brilliantly. It’s stood up to proper winter use including snow and gale force winds, is reasonably light, easy and quick to pitch. The design of the door makes it much nicer to use than the side opening style as you can unzip it from the top and just step out.

The Wild country trisar 2 offers a similar design at a much more sensible price.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I bought an MSR Elixir2 this summer. I’ve use it 4 times and am well pleased. It will be my introduction to bikepacking. There are lighter and cheaper tents out there but many are not really big enough for a 6footer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The Wild country trisar 2 offers a similar design at a much more sensible price.

Just incase anyone was thinking of this.

The 25 year old tent gribs has and ANYTHING you can buy now from teranova/wild country share little other than name

Venture capitalists have murdered what once was a legendary company

Avoid buying anything from them if you value good quality control/robust design and or spares /warrenty back up .

djflexure

Just got the Elixir 3 ( as a 2 man) and it’s lovely. Go Outdoors had them on offer last week

I paid under £200 with various discounts

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff, I’m an MSR fanboy, brilliant tents, get some pics up!

Aidy
    Free Member

Sorry I forgot to add with some wild camping/back packing, so nothing that requires a donkey or a mule to carry it 😉

Get a different tent for car camping – it’ll save wear and tear on a lightweight one.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Get a different tent for car camping – it’ll save wear and tear on a lightweight one.

+1. Would recommend this approach if you go car camping often. I found a lightly used Vango Storm 200+ for £20

It’s cavernous for one, ample for two with two exits, two porches (one of which is double-sized), and is nigh-on bombproof. Leaves my lightweight/bikepacking tent in the dust for comfort. Same goes for a Quechua 4 man that brings another (folding table and chairs) dimension to car camping. It cost £89 new over a decade ago and is still going strong. Similar would go around, say, £30 used?

My lightweight/bikepacking/hiking tent gets an outing so rarely that a car-tent was a no-brainer. I use it overnight as a b and b alternative when visiting family across country/to extend the journey. Generally prefer camping to B n B.

Best £20 I ever spent, all said and done.

Most decent used tents of a good size will do for car-camping, but you may get lucky in local classififeds or Marketplace out of season and bag something DofE grade

matt_outandabout

For car and canoe camping I bought a Vango Galaxy. It is brilliant – standing height in front porch, warm smaller bedroom for us. Not too big, proper alloy poles, built the same as their mountain tents really, good venting etc.

Downsides – the front porch has one flappy panel that I plan to add a peg point to. It is 6kg.

It was £140(!) in a sale just as lockdown started last year.

(Not my pictures)

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ 👍🏼 That looks like a lot of usable space for such a small footprint. Clever.

Couple of collapsible poles of the right height (plus two guy-ropes) and the front flap becomes a sunshade? (Then add a tarp wall on the sunny side 😎 )

marksnook
    Free Member

I have a van go Cairngorm that is billed as a 2 man, probably right for two but great for me and the dog. Think i only paid £75 for it! It packs up to about the same size as my alpkit tarp and bivvi bag but weighs a touch more

Got a similar vango one to above for car camping, but the porch isn’t as high, again probably cheap but you would want to carry it far! Perfect for a weekend somewhere though

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a van go Cairngorm that is billed as a 2 man,

I have one of them. It’s a great little tent. Pitches quick as you like and very stable/robust.

I wouldn’t like to share it even with my SO never mind a mate. Its a largish 1 man at best. – and we shared a vaude Taurus for 4 months.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah I should have emphasised it’s not a 2 man! It’s a doable with the Labrador but not a person. Think they make a 3 man though

duncancallum

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/2898

Is my car camping one. Its mint quick to go up and can sit in it

matt_outandabout

Couple of collapsible poles of the right height (plus two guy-ropes) and the front flap becomes a sunshade? (Then add a tarp wall on the sunny side 😎 )

I may already have a Vango tarp that has poles just the right size for that exactly…

We’ve only used it twice, I’ve not felt need for an extra space yet with only two of us. But then my other tent is Alpkit Delta… #snug

Gribs

The 25 year old tent gribs has and ANYTHING you can buy now from teranova/wild country share little other than name

Venture capitalists have murdered what once was a legendary company

That’s a shame. They perhaps had the same problem Karrimor and various other decent outdoor companies had. You only need to buy stuff from them once as it was so well built.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New tent time, 2 man’ is closed to new replies.