Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New telly time
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Looks like the TV has just given up, power light comes on but you get 3 seconds of flickering image then nothing. It’s maybe 9 year old, would have been happy for it to live forever but it hasn’t so what’s what in the world of new ones these days?

Not bothered for a snazzy smart TV as it’ll inevitably not have one of the apps we use or it’ll all be discontinued next week so will end up with a dongle in the back anyway. 32″ max as we don’t have room for anything bigger. Minimum 2 HDMI sockets and AV for the Wii. We don’t have an aerial so Freeview etc is useless. Can’t remember the last time I watched a film uninterrupted meaning posh image quality and sound is wasted.

Actually as long as the boy can play the Wii and whenever I walk in the room the wife is distracted by sound and movement then basically all bases are covered… Any suggestions?

Cougar

You want a TV and don’t have an aerial?

twonks

As your requirements list are basically zero, I’d just buy the cheapest 32″ TV I could find 😀

Or to be more useful, probably get the cheapest Hisense TV that gave you 2 hdmi ports – probably all of them.

£200 will suffice.

TheFlyingOx

I’d add that whilst the picture is good, cheap Hisense TVs have ads built in. We got one recently and every time you change source it plays a 30 second ad. Normally for LG TVs, which I’m not sure is the best business practise…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At least get a tv with wifi in it so you can cast stuff from a phone/computer

thepodge
    Free Member

Why would I need an aerial? Haven’t had one for over a decade, moved from sky about 8 years ago straight to streaming everything.

The idea of a TV with built in adverts makes me cry for the future of humanity.

Don’t currently have built in wifi and can still cast.

I don’t suppose I’m really paying for any of the features but it seems odd to be buying something with features I’ll never use.

grum
    Free Member

You want a TV and don’t have an aerial?

People still use aerials? How quaint.

thepodge
    Free Member

That Roku one looks ok, everything seems to have silly little feet these days, I’ll have to work out how they’ll fit on the corner shelf.

Daffy

Why not see if the TV can be fixed? If it’s a named brand with a model number, parts are usually available and there’s only about 4-6 modular things that can go wrong with a modern TV.

I was able to repair our 11y old 55” Samsung recently for £80 using new backlight (actually edgelight) strips from China.

Better than binning it.

thepodge
    Free Member

I didn’t realise they were fixable, thought most things were single use these days, I’ll have a look into that, thanks.

twonks

I didn’t know TVs showing ads was a thing! I too would avoid them.

Ours all just turn on though hdmi links as they are all essentially just monitors, with AV amps looking after all the switching. The only time we touch a TV remote is when one up us sits on a remote and presses a random button.

I think there has to be some sort of smart software built into the TV to enable you to cast to it. They likely all come with it nowadays so for what you want maybe just choose the one the fits where it needs to, or maybe a 32″ Pc monitor that deffo won’t have adverts built in.

nbt

We use an aerial, everything is on series record then we can fast forward through ads

thepodge
    Free Member

I did wonder about a monitor but other than paying more and getting less I wasn’t sure why I’d do it.

twonks

It was a bit of a flippant remark tbh, as it could be the only way to remove adverts, smart crap and ‘just’ be a display device.

If you played a high end console or PC through it, then for sure a PC monitor would be the better option but for what you want it’s doubtful, as you say.

gauss1777
    Free Member

As your requirements list are basically zero

… I’d ask a few people I know if they have an old tv they don’t need. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone had a perfectly functioning tv sitting in their attic. Reduce, reuse, recycle and all that.

StuE
    Free Member

Loads for sale on eBay, I paid not very much for our current Panasonic 4 years or so ago and would probably do the same when it stops working

Cougar

tillydog
    Free Member

I was looking for a new 32″ TV last week – I’m very happy with the Samsung one we have elsewhere in the house, so was looking for similar. I came across this one which looked interesting, however I wanted one with an aerial input.

Apparently can be used as a workstation too.

May suit you?

Currys Samsung TV

Ended up buying LG in the end as the cheaper Samsung ones with aerial inputs didn’t have bluetooth (which I also wanted for connecting headphones).

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s one on the short list, thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New telly time’ is closed to new replies.