Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Telly
  • TheFlyingOx

The old LG has given up the ghost after a decent 7 year innings. It’s the main telly in the living room but wall space isn’t huge so 43″ tops. Not looking for any super-fancy 8K tech but not one of those junk no-names with built-in ads either. I’ve seen a Samsung QLED for ~£550 that seems reasonable but before I go ahead is there anything else worth considering?

Harry_the_Spider

Got a 65″ Samsung QLED last year. Very pleased with it. Had to adjust the picture to a different preset though as the default mode was a bit “cartoony”.

zilog6128

Depends what’s most important! If it’s picture quality, then OLED is the way forwards, but I haven’t seen any smaller than 48″. Saw an LG one for under £700 a few weeks back, I’d expected more bargains of that sort around BF time.

I’m sure the Samsung will be fine but don’t let the “Q” fool you, it’s not anything special! Get on HUKD and check out the deals, there are loads about at the moment. If you’re not too fussed then just get whatever is the right size at the right price, from a reputable manufacturer & retailer! The HUKD threads are quite handy as there’s often a lot of nerdy chat in the comments regarding the pros and cons of whichever telly is on offer.

Had to adjust the picture to a different preset though as the default mode was a bit “cartoony”.

any telly will need setting up properly due to different light conditions, etc, loads of vids on YouTube. Even better if you can find a guide specifically for your telly as a lot of them come with processing options on by default which you don’t necessarily want, which was probably the case with yours.

a11y

Bought a Samsung UE43AU8000 a couple of months ago – very happy (especially as it was largely paid for with RBS Reward vouchers via Argos – https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9336483). Sound is tinny but we have it hooked up to an AV received and speakers. Picture is excellent and the Smart functions fairly intuitive and slick.

jimw
    Free Member

Perhaps another LG?
    We bought a LG-43UP81006LR a few months ago and we are very pleased with it. As above the sound is nothing special but run it through a Denon DM-41 and separate speakers much of the time

Drac

As mentioned LG or Samsung, my preference is Samsung as I find the LG interface slow. Also as said Hot U.K. Deals will give you some bargain ideas.

jsync

42″ OLED TVs should be out at the beginning of next year.

grum
    Free Member

Happy QLED user here, I saw OLED in the shop too and didn’t see much difference but they probs are a bit better (and also more expensive).

All TVs seem to come with weird motion smoothing settings that make everything look like a low budget re-enactment on a history documentary. God knows why. Easy to switch off though.

timmys

QLED is Samsung made up BS to cash in on OLED, it’s an LED with a random Q in front. If you’re a person who keeps a telly for 7 years then I would advise to try and stretch to an OLED. LG is the sensible choice, and as noted, I think they make the smallest at 48″.

As a long time Samsung fanboi, I was in Currys the other day and the LG OLED’s blew the QLED’s away.

Sony had the best picture though, if you can believe the nonsense store settings – probably better to go to Richer sounds and view properly

Fat-boy-fat

Sony OLED user here. Fantastic piccie quality, android TV so super easy for apps and casting. Sound OK but hooked up to a sound bar plus surround sound speakers and a sub woofer. Very highly recommended.

TheFlyingOx

Whilst I like the sound of it I might struggle for an OLED at 43″. It really is that or smaller, TV is mounted inbetween the light switch and the mantlepiece.

We were happy with the LG although I agree the menu was pretty slow. I’ll have a wander round the nearest Curry’s I think and see what’s best. Closest Richer Sounds is about 1½ hrs away.

grum
    Free Member

QLED is Samsung made up BS to cash in on OLED, it’s an LED with a random Q in front

Here we go!

duncancallum

Look at richer sounds

seosamh77
    Free Member

If I was going for 4k I’d go substantially bigger than at 42″. To get the same pixel density as a 1080p tele, ye are look at an 84″ tele. So something in the high 50s or low 60s sounds about right for a 4k.

8k for home use is just marketing at this point. doubt it’ll ever be a thing tbh. unless ye like sample videos a lot. 😆

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got a 43″ Toshiba from Richer Sounds recently for £299. It had good reviews and we needed to spend money on other things too so just went with it as it was the cheapest 43″. Pretty pleased with it.

FuzzyWuzzy

Whilst I’m an LG OLED fan myself as has been said you won’t find a 43″ version. The 2021 Samsung Neo QLEDs look interesting and in theory the backlighting should be more consistent (one of the main issues with standard LED displays) but I’ve not looked at any reviews – they’re also OLED money.

Not sure when Samsung start discounting their current year range but for LG it’s around now so might be some 2021 range discounts out there. That said not much changes year to year, especially on mid-range models (you’ll probably just be getting a slightly faster processor vs a 2020 model) so I wouldn’t get hung-up on looking specifically at 2021 models (unless you do look at Neo QLED which I think is new for 2021)

Superficial
    Free Member

Do Samsung still have unblockable ads in the menus/On Screen Display? If so, absolute dealbreaker.

Drac

Do Samsung still have unblockable ads in the menus/On Screen Display? If so, absolute dealbreaker.

Ads? Can’t say I’ve noticed any.

TheFlyingOx

Yeah, that’s EXACTLY the kind of bollocks I want to avoid. Got cheapo Hisense for the bedroom and it plays an ad every time you press a button

a11y

Nope, nothing on each of the two Samsung tellys we have in the house.

zilog6128

One of the benefits of getting a box such as Apple TV, etc is you can potentially get away with a cheaper telly with poor software & as you’re essentially just using the telly as a monitor. Plus apps etc not getting updated or stopping working won’t be an issue.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Telly’ is closed to new replies.