Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Stumpjumper (and evo) any good?
  • manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Pretty interested in the new one but there aren’t many reviews online so I thought may ask you guys.

How does it perform on the rough fast stuff? Is it a good enduro race bike for the uk?

I currently have a Stumpy evo 2015 29 with 160 forks and it works a treat but the new one looks spot on. My stumpy just feels a bit small and gets out of shape when you push it on dh tracks.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Theres a new review on wideopenmag.

Not ridden the evo but my lt 29 stumpy is brilliant. Get yourself out on a test ride if you can.

oikeith

There’s a thread for the evo stumpy over on MTBR, seems to suggest a press embargo till the year end of reviews of the evo. Looks like hell of a bike, shame they dont do frame only!

andybrad

Ive got the 29lt expert.

apart from snapping the first one (long story, warranty replacement quickly) it is a good bike. its definatley more a trail bike than an enduro and better for it imo. its quite a lively bike and if im honest its just fun. I wont have it on anything scary till the weather dries out here but its not a smash through stuff kind of bike.

the only issues i have with it is the GX drivetrain is a little noisy and theres no quick release on the wheels. this is annoying as it means i have to check the axles every time with an allen key. its quick (if your not as fat as me) and fun.

i compared it to the spectral, rocket and liteville. the best bang for your book is the comp imo.

hope that helps, any questions just ask.

btw i tried the evo and it was like the rocket in that i found the bb to be very very low for me meaning a lot of “body english” to get it down my normal stuff and so i was knackered quickly. If your not a fat unfit bloke like me then you might find it better?

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

ooh…

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-specialized-stumpjumper-evo-29.html

Looks spot on.

I enjoy fast aggressive riding and all that ‘body english stuff’ but love its fun lively nature. I have got a bit annoyed by sitting so high on my bike and something lower would be great.

I think the best thing is to just demo them.

nickc

Demoing one soon, but tbh, I think I’m going to buy an Enduro

Dilwyn
    Free Member

I’ve got a 29er comp carbon and love it. It’s the perfect trail bike. It would be fantastic with a 160mm fork.

Demoed a stumpy evo from Pearce the other day. Jumped straight on it. Super composed at speed. Felt like it could be pushed really hard. Unfortunately I wasn’t up to that in the pouring rain the day I took it out.

vincienup
    Free Member

I was looking at them briefly after the Whyte option fell apart for me before concluding I was probably rebounding, and walking away for now.

Based on what I saw, I think the Evo is probably not a bike for all-day riding but the current Stumpy 29 (not ST) is a huge leap from the previous model and probably worth having a play with.  I’m not wild about the use of NX at £3600 though, which ultimately would probably keep me away from the bike as the frame only option is too expensive at £3500 for an SWorks and I don’t want to buy bundled Shimano components I need to sell at a loss and replace at that sort of price.  I can understand NX still being there on the alloy bike at £2600 but by £3600 you really should be seeing GX I think.

I’ll probably still look at them in Spring but the Whyte S150 is still on the list along with the Rallon and Primer.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I don’t mind about gears too much mainly the breaks they spec.

My current stumpy has a 160 fork on it and is a blast so I would want to maybe get an XL stumpy comp and put 160 on that. Been reading about the evo one and it looks prime. Better start demoing and saving.

vincienup
    Free Member

I normally give brakes a pass and assume I’ll want to change them, but by the time the entire group on a bike nearly £4K has been specced as entry level and you’re asked to pay an extra £100 over SLX for the privilege, I’m thinking it’s going to get expensive sorting out. NX belongs on bikes at least £2000 cheaper.

andybrad

I would agree tbh

fwatson1990
    Free Member

I was reading the review for the new EVO stumpy yesterday on pinkbike, sounds a corker. Ive only ever had one proper bike, my 2016 stumpy elite which ive upgraded over the last two years and i love it but i totally understand this: “My stumpy just feels a bit small and gets out of shape when you push it on dh tracks.”

I tried to improve it for the downhills best i could and fitted a new Monarch plus RC3 with offset bushing and upp’d the 150 fork to a 160 debonair.

stumpy

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve finally got round to putting some more pictures and first thoughts on my Evo online if anyone’s interested in seeing how mine’s set up: https://mtbtrailtales.com/2018/11/20/specialized-stumpjumper-evo/

Carbis

I have a medium sized 2014 Stumpjumper 29er evo which is very similar to your 2015 bike and despite the sales pitch of longer, lower etc, the latest Stumpjumper 29er felt significantly shorter to ride (size for size) than my current bike.

Having ridden the new Stumpjumper 29er on the Specialized demo weekend in the lakes I found it was less capable than my current bike on the climbs and less confidence inspiring on the descents.  This could be an element of familiarity, but I have ridden other bikes recently that have felt more instantly “right” for me.

It is still worth a test ride on one, as the reviews seem to be good and a couple of other riders have told me it takes a few rides to adjust to, but I didn’t feel I’d be gaining anything over the bike I already have.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I have a mate that had our stumpy generation and said it was the fastest bike he has ridden compared to the current crop of 29ers.

I’ll demo some others but if my bike is the best then i’ll upgrade some parts, the shock is pants.

That evo is mint.

BigM
    Free Member

Came from an Enduro down to the next 29 stumpy comp, put a pair of 160mm 36’s on. It’s fast playful and great fun to ride. Did a week in the Alps shortly after getting it and was impressed with how it coped with the terrain. Definitely quicker than my 2014 Enduro down a hill and pedals really well up a hill.

Poopscoop

That Evo looks great from the drive side….. but a bit of a munter from the nds.

Not that it’s all about it’s looks of course!

oikeith

AndyRM where in the SW do you ride?

I’m in the Exeter area and super tempted by the Evo but not sure how it would be for days on Dartmoor or Exmoor etc where the ups are quite hefty, although sure it would excel on the downs!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Stumpjumper (and evo) any good?’ is closed to new replies.