Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New stem – Hope or Renthal?
  • NormalMan

I’m thinking of getting a new stem for my Solaris.

I was looking at the Hope AM/FM one as I have a fair amount of Hope stuff on the bike (wheelset, chainring, pedals, headset and seat QR).

However, I also have Renthal bars and like the style of the Apex stem.

Any owner experiences / views / positive comments / horror stories of either of these?

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re after a 35mm, I think I’m about to sell my Hope AM/FR – have reverted to 50mm after trying shorter for about a year! I like that you do the top bolts up all the way and then the bottom ones, less hassle than my Raceface in the other bike. Never creaks. Looks nice.

The Renthal one I had before drove me crazy with the creaking but that was the Strata Duo design.

qwerty
    Free Member

Thomson Elite X4❓

nickdavies

Cockpit has to match.. go renthal. Usual stw style though, mine never creak and ive got 3 renthal cockpits. Used to have a hope one and that was fine too.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Are you running 35 and what length apex are you after?

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

The right stem can be one of the most pleasing components one a bike, which is perhaps because it has a simple job to do. Thomson 4x and Rental Duo are iconic design classics. I had both but the 4x (with stronger bolts) was stolen.  My wife has a Shimano Pro stem. It might be controversial but I consider it right up there with the other two, and it has the additional virtue of being relatively inexpensive.

roverpig

Hope (black) if the bars are black (e.g. carbon), Renthal if they are gold. That’s always been my rule anyway 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Stems are the one item that I think make bugger all performance difference on an mtb. On a road bike that has a 100mm stem maybe, but at 60 mm or less I think its pretty hard to make a bad stem. I ran out of funds on my ascr build and chucked on a cheepo syntace stem as a temp measure and it was perfectly adequate so its still on there.

That said, it is something you see all the time, so if aesthetics matters to you then get the one you like the look of best. I have a Thomson x4 on one of mine and it really is a lovely looking thing. The rental is also a nice looking piece of kit. Not a fan of how many hope parts look but that’s just personal opinion

dhrider
    Free Member

I’d probably choose Hope if you already have other Hope parts.

Del

renthal are flexy. thompson. or hope.

tpbiker
    Free Member

To my earlier point, a 50 mm or below stem isn’t going to be flexy, regardless of who makes it. Certainly not one made by renthal … Unless you are a 300lb gorilla

If it is good enough for the pros it’s going to be good enough for us mere mortals. Maybe I don’t ride hard enough but I have have used a Thomson and a renthal and couldn’t tell the difference.

NormalMan

Thanks guys.

It’ll be a way long old school 70mm stem! I’m edging towards the Hope just because of the other Hope bits.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well you can ignore my comments then.. Maybe an apex would be flexy at that length!

Who rides a 70 mm stem in this day and age.. 😉

NormalMan

Someone with a short bike 🤣

NormalMan

To put a bit more meat on the bone of explanation. My mk1 has a 60mm stem and it’s always been a little short but when I heard the video on here of the new Solaris launch, Cy mentioned how the mk1 often had a 70mm stem fitted. So thought it might just work for me!

jamj1974

In that length, I would go Thomson.  Never had an issue with the three I have had.

poah
    Free Member

at 70mm just buy something cheap – why spend £70-80 on a stem

RSP do a 70mm stem.  I had one of their 35mm length ones and it is quite smart looking

metalheart
    Free Member

The Easton havoc ones were alright (esp in the shiny silver…).

got a 65mm (Sunline) stem on my mk1 been on since new. It’s still short… 😉

NormalMan

@ Metalheart that last comment make a think I might just stick with a 60mm 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Hey, you never know. My Sherpa came with a 50mm (and 35mm dia. bars…) which was too short. I stuck one of them Easton 55mm stems (and 31.6/8 whatever bars) and it did make a difference. Pick up something cheap/secondhand?

However, considering that the Sherpa has just been replaced, it didn’t ‘solve’ the problem….

NormalMan

I guess my thinking comes from being top end of the height chart for my mk1 but with the shortest stem – when going back over the old geo chart. Then I’ve used it more and more recently for a wider variety of riding. I’d narrowed the useage down due to more bikes but recently it has been my main bike.

I find it short on some longer rides plus the front lifts very easily on steep short sections and even under hard acceleration.

Watching that video I mentioned just got me thinking and thought why not go 70mm despite not being the current trend.

I might borrow a spare and trial it. But I’m also partial to buying bike bling after a rubbish week at work 😂

jayx2a
    Free Member

I have a Renthal Apex 35 stem – 60mm

As new – £45 posted

ferrals
    Free Member

I don’t like the look of the hope stems so I’d be going renthal, or as suggest Thomson.

DezB
    Free Member

Silly buggers. Flex in a 70mm stem..! Yeah, I bent one with my bare hands the other day.

davosaurusrex

For a 70mm I’d be looking  for a used Easton Haven for around 30-35 quid, great stems

core

Thomson for 70mm.

Del

you’re entitled to your opinion, but i watched a chap leaning on his bar ( 780 iirc ) with apex stem at 50mm and was rather surprised at how much movement he could get out of it. not that big a chap either.

i have no particular desire for you to either believe this or think it meaningful in any way though, so carry on.

yours, SB.

chiefgrooveguru

“you’re entitled to your opinion, but i watched a chap leaning on his bar ( 780 iirc ) with apex stem at 50mm and was rather surprised at how much movement he could get out of it. not that big a chap either.”

I couldn’t believe how much stiffer a 50mm Renthal was than a 60mm el cheapo stem – and that was back when I used 711mm bars!

NormalMan

OK after much debating in my mind, I’ve gone with a Hope (0 rise version) just to be keeping with the rest of the Hope kit.

davosaurusrex

Just to add as long time X4 user the difference in flex between the Haven and the X4 is massive. The X4 is quite a dated design now. I imagine the sturdier 40 and 50mm X4 design is OK though

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Neither. Syntace.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New stem – Hope or Renthal?’ is closed to new replies.