Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New shoes – how long do you give them to get comfy?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Just bought a new pair of Giro Privateer – seem relatively comfy and a snug fit. However did a short ride on them this morning, only a few miles, and came away with a slight ache on the outside of my right foot.

The shop said I could try and return them and if they didn’t work for me (provided they weren’t too dirty).

Should shoes be comfy out of the box, or do I need to give them a bit of time to break in?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t know why it’s taken me four decades to lean this, but if shoes are not comfortable when you put them on, they’re the wrong shoes.

Having said that, clear position can cause that hot edge sensation.

daern
    Free Member

100% comfy first try on or non-starter.

One thing I’ve changed over the years is to allow a bit more space in the shoe when trying it on in the shop to allow for expansion when my feet get warm. My comfiest shoes are, technically, probably a bit too big for me but they are the they only ones that I can ride in for 5+ hours without getting numb toes or other aches. Even my best road shoes, which I’d have normally gone for very snug fitting, are “mega” fit Sidis in a full size larger than I normally take. And they are like a pair of slippers, regardless of how long I ride in them. Lovely 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Ohhh, cycling shoes! They don’t tend to be made of flexible materials, so I’d say if they’re uncomfortable, they’ll usually stay that way.
    But, as onza says, position can lead to that side foot achy thing.

sarawak
    Free Member

If you get the right fit when buying them there should be no problem. If, if, if.

prezet
    Free Member

Other than the ache they’re pretty comfy. Maybe not as much when walking around on them, but on the bike they feel ok.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New shoes – how long do you give them to get comfy?’ is closed to new replies.