Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • New shoes – help me!
  • tomaso
    Free Member

My old trusty favourites are nearing the end and I need some new ones. I could just buy another pair of Shimano XM9 boots, but keen to understand what else would fit the bill?

Main requirements are:

* Ankle protection as I ride goofy and clatter my ankles on the cranks
    * SPD compatible as I foolisly gave up on flats 13nyears ago…
    * Hike a bike friendly solesn- no inflexible slippery hard plastic.
    * Some wet weather resistance- not necessarily water proof but no mesh over the toes works best in the Lakes. I don’t mind some small ventilation holes.

I am considering:

Shimano AM9 looks a reasonable balance
    Vaude Tsali looks similar to the XM9 but would be a change from Shimano.
    Vaide Downievlle Mid looks a good option.

I bought a pair of Northwave Enduro mid shoes last year and can’t get on with them. They are either too loose and I can’t walk in them with out heal lift and blisters, while my toes slide down into the toe box, or, they are too tight for blood to flow. There is no middle ground and as such they are a bit pants.
    I had some Giro Terraduro mids and some similar Mavix Crossmax shoes that were both way too narrow.

pothead
    Free Member

If shimano am9 is on the list the me7 is worth a look as well, I’ve recently started using me7’s having used am9’s for years, stiffer sole took a bit of getting used to but I prefer them now. They are a narrower fit around the toes so possibly worth going up a size.
    Both have ventilation holes in the toe area tho, the older am9’s didn’t and kept your feet drier

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘New shoes – help me!’ is closed to new replies.