• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Kip.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Santa Cruz 5010: first ride review of mid-travel mullet
  • Ben_Haworth

The latest Santa Cruz 5010 sees a move to mullet but the travel resolutely remains the same: 130mm at the rear, 140mm fork up front.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

New Santa Cruz 5010: first ride review of mid-travel mullet

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

amandawishart

I’ve just had Ross tell me I’m ‘So XC!’ for complaining about a high front end on a 140mm fork. So to clarify – yes, I am XCAF, but it still feels like a high front end for a trail bike. Time may correct me, I best go out for a ride…

P20

I really like the look and the sound of this. It sounds ideal for me. However no Shimano option and the cost! Frame only is fancy CC at £3599, so not really an option either.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve just had Ross tell me I’m ‘So XC!’ for complaining about a high front end on a 140mm fork. So to clarify – yes, I am XCAF, but it still feels like a high front end for a trail bike.

They do have long head tubes (or at least, my 2021 does).

Assuming all the photos are as you rode it, it loooks perfectly normal. Only moan is for the santa cruz review bike manager who left that steerer tube ridiculously long.

fahzure

That’s a good first review. I think you’ll find the stack likable on steeper bits.

zerocool

Long steerer tubes are great when you buy a bike. It means you can play around with bar height until you’re perfectly happy and it only takes 5 minutes to shorten it when you have settled on your final length.

I totally agree about companies specking short droppers all the time. What’s the point of a shirt seat tube/standover if you have to run 50mm of seatpost out of your frame? Surely it’s better to spec the longest you can sensibly get away with (for the rider height you expect) and if there’s the odd person who might want a short one it’s cheaper for them to swap it.

Looking at the geo I’d want the Large with a 200mm dropper for my size.

Apart from that it looks ideal for most of the riding I’d ever do (including the odd trip to the Alps)

ayjaydoubleyou

I totally agree about companies specking short droppers all the time. What’s the point of a shirt seat tube/standover if you have to run 50mm of seatpost out of your frame? Surely it’s better to spec the longest you can sensibly get away with (for the rider height you expect) and if there’s the odd person who might want a short one it’s cheaper for them to swap it.

On my 2021 5010, Large, I’ve probably got 80-90mm of my 170mm dropper out of the frame.

Yes I could fit 170mm dropper to full insertion, but could I fit a theoretical 250 at full insertion with the tunnel for the shock?

However I’m going to mainly blame aesthetics. One of my rules for pretty bikes is that top tube should be 90 degrees to the fork. For any given head angle and fork length this sets where the top tube will end up – with a bit of a seat mast/brace added on top for stiffness.

Ozak42

9 grand for that bike is insane. You can get a good ebike with better spec for less than that. I know prices are going up, but that is mental.

Del

And so it begins…

socalmtnbiker
    Free Member

3.5 lbs. heavier (27.8 lbs. (12.6kg) with pedals) than my large 5010 vintage 2015.

@Ozak42
    This is a real bike, not an e-bike.

weeksy

It’s more than my KTM.

Well, someone had to!

Kip

I ride an old style 2017 5010 in a small because I’m 5’2″, I struggle enough hefting the front wheel about because I weigh 50kg and I’m a weakling, can’t imagine the trouble I’d have lifting an even higher and heavier front end!

Does look pretty and of course I’d not it out of the shed though!

ravingdave

What’s wrong with having a high front end?

Kip

Well, from a personal point of view it means I have to be really careful if the bike stops at speed. I’d need platform shoes to be able to stand over with clearance!
    The other thing is unweighting the front end, going uphill the front wanders a bit unless I’m right down low, a higher front is likely to wander more.
    I’d still like to test ride one to see what it’s like to loft for manuals and wheelies as I’m rubbish at it on my current one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.