• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Rammstein Video. Deeper meaning, or over the top excess?
  • welshfarmer

I remember when music videos were little more than a couple of good looking kids dancing badly and miming the words to some trashy Stock Aitkin Waterman dross….

Harry_the_Spider

WOW.

I bet there have been cheaper wars than what it cost to make that.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I do like me a good Rammstein video.

wordnumb
    Free Member

They’re working hard to live up to the “Laibach for children” dig.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Well that was bizarre.

MSP

Deeper meaning

No, just gory gothic clichéd visuals, designed to appeal to your stereotypical heavy metal fans.

hols2
    Free Member

I tried, but it just seemed to be boring pretentious nonsense so I stopped.

iolo
    Free Member

Wow, quite nationalistic lyrics. I see this played over and over at NS get togethers.

duckman

While I like the band, I am very glad I don’t understand the lyrics.That video was ott,but aren’t they always?

welshfarmer

[strong]iolo[/strong] wrote:

Wow, quite nationalistic lyrics. I see this played over and over at NS get togethers.

From what I can gather they are anti-nationalistic. More of a parody. However, that doesn’t stop them from being popular with the NS followers obviously. I guess the deeper meaning iun the lyrics is lost on them!

Pigface
    Free Member

Seems like a typical Rammstein effort, they go out to shock, provoke discussion. Sonne, Pussy, Mein Land are all OTT but IMO are great tracks.

I like Rammstein, some may not, thus is life.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I was quite enjoying it till the dude started singing then it lost its appeal sadly.
    Video must have cost an absolute fortune.

Kuco

Same as Pigface seemed like a usual Rammstien video. I haven’t a clue what the lyrics are about but I like them.

Northwind

Over the top excess? Why yes, it’s Rammstein, that’s essentially what they are.

squirrelking
    Free Member

While I like the band, I am very glad I don’t understand the lyrics.

You have cried a lot
    In the mind apart
    In the heart united
    We have been together for a very long time
    Your breath is cold
    The heart in flames
    You
    I
    Us
    You (plural)

Germany
    My heart in flames
    Want to love you, want to damn you
    Germany
    Your breath is cold
    So young
    And yet so old
    Germany

I
    I never want to leave you
    One can love you
    And want to hate you
    Overbearing
    Superior
    To take over
    To surrender
    Surprising
    To assault
    Germany, Germany over everyone

Germany
    My heart in flames

Germany
    Your breath is cold
    So young
    And yet so old
    Germany

Germany
    Your love is a curse and a blessing
    Germany
    My love I cannot give to you
    Germany

Germany
    You
    I
    Us
    You (plural)

Superior
    Needless
    Übermenschen
    Weary
    The higher you climb, the farther you fall
    Germany, Germany over everyone

Germany
    My heart in flames

Germany
    Your breath is cold
    So young
    And yet so old

Germany
    Your love is a curse and a blessing
    Germany
    My love I cannot give to you
    Germany

Not nationists at all, much less neo-nazi. A quick wiki would have dispelled you of that lazy notion.

The New York Times described Rammstein’s music as a “powerful strain of brutally intense rock… bringing gale-force music and spectacular theatrics together”.[82] The members have not been shy about courting controversy and have periodically attracted condemnation from morality campaigners. Till and Flake’s stage act earned them a night in jail in June 1999 after a liquid-ejecting dildo was used in a concert in Worcester, Massachusetts. Back home in Germany, the band has faced repeated accusations of fascist sympathies because of the dark and sometimes militaristic imagery of their videos and concerts, including the use of excerpts from the film Olympia by Leni Riefenstahl in the video for the Depeche Mode cover “Stripped”. MTV Germany studied the lyrics, talked to the band and came away satisfied that Rammstein are apolitical; Peter Ruppert, then head of Music Programming at MTV Germany, stated that the band “aren’t in any way connected with any right-wing activities”. Such criticism may be unavoidable for a German band that deals in harsh, militaristic-style imagery.[83]

Their cover of their debut album Herzeleid, released in Germany in 1995, showed the band members bare-chested in a style that resembled Strength Through Joy in the eyes of some critics, who accused the band of trying to sell themselves as “poster boys for the Master Race”.[84] Rammstein have vehemently denied this and said they want nothing to do with politics or supremacy of any kind. Lorenz, annoyed by the claim, has remarked it is just a photo, and should be understood as such. Herzeleid has since been given a different cover in North America, depicting the band members’ faces. The clip for the song “Amerika” shows people from different nationalities throughout the video and Rammstein members taking photographs with them at the end of the clip.

The song “Links 2-3-4” (Links being German for “left”) was written as a riposte to these claims. Kruspe said: “‘My heart beats on the left, two, three, four’. It’s simple. If you want to put us in a political category, we’re on the left side, and that’s the reason we made the song”.[85]

The song’s title refers to the refrain of the German Communist Party song Einheitsfrontlied, written by Bertholt Brecht: “Drum links, zwei, drei! Drum links, zwei, drei! / Wo dein Platz, Genosse ist! / Reih dich ein, in die Arbeitereinheitsfront / Weil du auch ein Arbeiter bist”.[86] (Then left, two, three! Then left, two, three! / Here’s the place, Comrade, for you! / So fall in with the Workers’ United Front / For you are a worker too.) Another key lyric expressing the band’s allegiance to the left paraphrases the titles of newspaper columns published side by side for several years in the German newspaper Bild: “Mein Herz schlägt links” (“My heart beats on the left”) by The Left Party co-chair and former Social Democratic Party of Germany chair Oskar Lafontaine, and “Mein Herz schlägt auf dem rechten Fleck” (“My heart beats in the right place”) by Peter Gauweiler of the conservative Christian Social Union.[87]

Lorenz stated that the song was created to show the band could write a harsh, evil, military-sounding song without being Nazis.[88]

damascus
    Free Member

This week I have been mostly listening to rammstein.

The start of the video was brilliant but then tailed off

zippykona

I thought Rammstein was what the cool kids abbreviated Rogers And Hammerstein to.

Obviously not.

sharkattack

I watched right to the end expecting a new YT bike.

Is disappoint.

superdan

Rammstein live is pretty amazing.
    The article above scratches the surface, but there is a lot more references going on. One that stood out to me, having had a couple of years in German schools was them using a mildly altered version of the dropped (after ze war) bit of the national anthem…
    Deutschland, Deutschland über allen
    Rather than Über alles…
    It’s a wierd callback to make, bit I think a lot of their lyrics are pretty punny, you could squint a take this as a commentary about selfishness or greed, especially around the refugees.

kelvin

I watched right to the end expecting a new YT bike.

[ deletes own, redundant, comment ]

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It fills my dancing shoes with wee. It thwarts my rockfist-pump. So what’s left? An expensive fashion-ad type vid with some vague ‘am I aren’t I?’ lyrics about German Nationalism?

To the OP question – I’m going with ‘B’. Bland camp.

iolo
    Free Member

Not nationists at all, much less neo-nazi. A quick wiki would have dispelled you of that lazy notion.

So you think the lines “Deutschland über allen” – Germany over everyone sung while hanging prisoners of war is ok?
    If you wiki you can see the point they are trying to make – do you really think the right wing nutters will wiki the true meaning?

zippykona

I saw Laibach in Germany ( the nephilim were supporting)

They had 2 Hitler youth type drummers at the front of the stage  and a back drop of a swastika made out of axes.

Whether they were being ironic I don’t know but ze Germans lapped it up.

We gave them half a song and we left.  A horrible experience.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stereophonics played a huge gig at Morfa and one journo described it as a Nuremberg type rally as so many Welsh flags being flown.

I think Laibach defo flirted with Nazi symbolism a great deal which never felt right, aren’t they Slovenian?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Iolo – who cares what right wing nutters think? So far the only support I’ve ever heard for the theory that they are nazis are from people on the left who know nothing about them.

Anyone who knows who Rammstein are know full well they are OTT and dark but what they are not are neo nazis. If you want to go full DM on this then that’s your choice but don’t expect not to look silly in doing so.

iolo
    Free Member

Iolo – who cares what right wing nutters think?

I do.

I live in Austria. I am seeing right wing extremism becoming stronger here on a daily basis. The government is in coalition with a party that was founded by Nazis.
    I work as a tour guide here and regularly do tours in Mauthausen. Please feel free to google it if you haven’t heard of it.
    I am constantly hearing racist language being spoken on the train – even by teenagers – force fed this mentality by the media here.
    Feel free to ridicule me but open your eyes. The world is becoming a bleak place. We are back in the interwar period.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Okay, perhaps a poor choice of words, but as a (presumably) fluent speaker I’m surprised you are glossing over the whole context.

It’s pretty easy to see that Rammstein aren’t glorifying nazism with Deutschland any more than the Dead Kennedys were with California Uber Alles.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Omg CONTEXT! FFS, its like talking to a wall.

Would you rather they just took the approach of the rest of the Axis states and instead just gloss over that whole period of history? Pretend it never happened? There is nothing glorious there but they are confronting their history, maybe if more people did that then the rise of the right wouldn’t be such a problem. Remembering the brutality of what happened rather than sugar coating it for Outraged of Osterreich.

iolo
    Free Member

Would you rather they just took the approach of the rest of the Axis states and instead just gloss over that whole period of history? Pretend it never happened? There is nothing glorious there but they are confronting their history, maybe if more people did that then the rise of the right wouldn’t be such a problem.

I work as a tour guide here and regularly do tours in Mauthausen.

If you’re ever in Austria, I’ll take you there. Walk you round and talk about the history of why and how it happened.
    Maybe you might get why outraged of Osterreich sees it in a different view than you.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Rammstein Video. Deeper meaning, or over the top excess?’ is closed to new replies.