Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • New project finished! Yeti Big Top 29er (with pics)
  • redted
    Free Member

Ok, I admit it’s not a very exotic build. The plan is to eventually fit Alfine 11 but for now here it is.
    I wanted one of these ever since I saw the Sea Otter pics. I have been 29er curious for about a year now, but not even seen anything I’d want to own and worryingly never even slung my leg over a 29er!
    I’ve always ridden big bikes, I’m only 5’11” but I must have odd proportions because I’m a 58cm road size and 19″on most MTB’s.
    I love the look of it, It doesn’t seem to look like an MTB with big wheels, more like just a big MTB if that makes sense?
    The parts were surprisingly difficult to source I thought, especially rims. Tyres still seem thin on the ground, (I wanted Nobby Nics but they don’t come out til November in the UK). The 29er Rebas with tapered steerer and Maxle were also pretty difficult.
    First ride is tomorrow night, but it’s passed the block paved cul-de-sac test and to my huge relief, it doesn’t seem weird.It is a good fit first time.
    I’ll update this thread with first impressions after my ride.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to fellow STW’ers for their input on sizing and fit.

13thfloormonk

Beautiful! Good luck keeping those grips white though, I had some on another bike, pretty sure the “Yeti” logo is the ‘palm’ bit of the grip though?

I don’t think you’re sizing is odd at all, I’m 5’11 too and ride an 18″ charge with a long stem and layback post, and a 58cm road bike.

Love that top tube logo

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Couldn’t you find a white bottle cage? 😀

Looks great!

ScotchNip
    Free Member

Looks great.

I see what you mean about it not looking weird, looks totally in proportion. Makes me want a 29er even more!

Enjoy!

bonesetter
    Free Member

You’ve got some good fun to come…

mboy
    Free Member

Looks V V nice… 😛

You’ll be wanting to put some flat bars on that soon though, and a zero rise stem. I was quite amazed at the extra front end height I gained when I got a 29er, the cure was flat bars and zero rise stem to combat it.

And don’t know where you ride, but you might want to save those Maxxis Aspen’s for April-September next year, don’t look the most grippy of things considering how soft the ground is getting already!

Yeti grips on a Yeti though… Nice attention to detail… 😉

kinger

sooper sweet there Ed 🙂

shinsplints

***Presses imaginary ‘like’ button***

redted
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure about the tyres. I think I’m clinging to the vague hope that the bigger contact patch will make up for the not very aggressive tread! Still they’ve only got the Lincolnshire Alps to contend with.
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Woody
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. Black shiny cranks would make it near perfect 😉

big_scot_nanny

Looks pretty fabulous, I am sure it will be truly brilliant to ride. I love the way my wagon wheels get over stuff, esp multiple logs, rock as and stuff that would hold up wee wheels.

Interested to know how the carbon rear takes some of the sting out of the ride, esp compared to my VERY rigid chumba.

Aspens are great, easily my fave tire for soft and muddy. Racing Ralph for the summer are great in mahooooosive 2.4 size.

Look forward to the updates, great job on the build. Go get it muddy!

Kev

tang
    Free Member

nice! get the 29er nobbynics from bike24.de they are cheap and deliver very fast.

pjt201
    Free Member

looks good, although as 13thfloormonk says above the grips are on the wrong way round and the wrong way up – the oval yeti logo goes under your palms for comfort and then the yeti text goes under your fingers for grip.

Starrman28
    Free Member

Looks really good, finishing touch would be straight bars and zero rise stem for me. Still I bet its gonna ride real good. 🙂

Wookster

really really nice mate!!! 😀

redted
    Free Member

:lol:Sorry for the fail on the grips guys, I was expecting stick for the setback Thomson and long grass, but you’ve all shown tremendous restraint. I’ve just been out and tweaked the grips!!!! Sleep easy.

rOcKeTdOg

LIke!

Bike 24 out of stock of NN when I tried them

radoggair
    Free Member

yeah, sort the grass out and remove the leaves next time 🙂

fatmax

Where did you get it, its lovely and I didn’t think they were out yet?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Beautiful 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

lovely.

Mark_K

i love the look of the Big top but my only concern would be with the mud clearance on the rear ? But if it rides as good as it looks enjoy 🙂

nickc

Saw a big top at the cycle show and thought then it looked the ‘rightest’ 29er I’ve seen. Wasn’t wrong that’s very cool looking.

Nice build

redted
    Free Member

Mud clearance is a tad stingy, but I read somewhere that they (Yeti) wanted to keep the wheelbase quite short. Bromley bike got them in a couple of weeks ago but I think maybe they were keeping it quiet until the bike show.

DezB
    Free Member

Have Yeti called it a Big Top cos they really think it’s a clown bike?

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, exactly that reason…

The OP’s does look great though.

tomlevell
    DezB
    Free Member

The OP’s does look great though.

Agreed!

DezB
    Free Member

I bloody hate this forum. Now there’s a 29er I like. Bum!

rOcKeTdOg

looking again, have you got a close up pic of the front mech/cabele, it looks like a straight through run?

oddjob
    Free Member

Beautiful bike.

tomlevell

rOcKeTdOg – Member

looking again, have you got a close up pic of the front mech/cabele, it looks like a straight through run?

Go on the Yeti website and zoomify the pictures.
    It is.
    http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/BigTop/1/

clubber
    Free Member

Direct mount front mech with a cable stop just above it. Not sure I can really see the point FWIW, I reckon that a cable stop in the more conventional position is better – shorter run, further out of the firing line of the rear wheel.

redted
    Free Member

Yes, straight through run to a direct mount mech. The direct mount was to keep the chainstays short and the wheelbase.There’s a really nice Yeti man embossed blanking plate included with the frame for the front mech mount if you run it singlespeed or 1×9/10 etc, but the horizontal “chip” dropouts aren’t available just yet.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Awwwwwwww crap.

Now I want another Yeti.

That’s easily the best, niceset 29er I’ve ever clapped eyes on. **drools**

😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Go on, how much for the frame?

clubber
    Free Member

£700 ish from Jenson (not inc taxes, etc)

redted
    Free Member

£999.99 but don’t tell the Missus please!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

UK price?

When I bought my 575 it wasn’t worth importing one, and the Pound is weaker now…

EDIT
    Didn’t see that before I posted. Still not worth importing one then really.

redted
    Free Member

It’s warm, the trails are dry, why can’t it be 5.15pm? Today is really dragging

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘New project finished! Yeti Big Top 29er (with pics)’ is closed to new replies.