Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • New project finished! Yeti Big Top 29er (with pics)
  • awesom-o
    Free Member

Love it! Definitely need to see it with some mud on it though :-). I recently built up a chumba hx2. No more 26er for me…. Where did you source the forks from if you don’t mind me asking?..

big_scot_nanny

Slight hijack, but hurrah to awesom-o for being another HX2 owner. Hurrah!

Kev

Still like the look of that big top though!

awesom-o
    Free Member

Cheers big_scot, there don’t see to be too many around. I tried to order one through Si but due to lack of stock (and my impatience) I ended up sourcing one from Australia…will post pics soon… apologies for the hijack… how do you hide the receipts from the wife redted? 🙂

redted
    Free Member

Right guys,this is coming from a “never ridden a 29er before” perspective so I might be stating the obvious to some of you, so forgive me. It was mega,I really, really like it. It feels so fast on the flat, there is a definite flywheel effect on the wheels. I didn’t really notice the wheels taking more getting up to speed unless you make a standing effort, but being a “twiddler” I didn’t notice it so much when seated. Once the wheels are up to speed it is alot easier to maintain it.

It also seems to roll quicker over bumpier ground too. The difference is like being reminded of when you first went from a rigid bike to front suspension.(if some of you are that old!) You find yourself suddenly getting away with more. Cornering wasn’t really any different. twisty singletrack wasn’t really any worse, just different.

On climbs, the flywheel effect seemed to help, it felt smoother and easier to stay on top of your gear. Descents were really fun, you get a bit carried away and have a bit of a feeling of invincibility!

I wouldn’t say it’s better or worse but I was surprised how engaging it was to ride, especially having never ridden 29″ before, but I didn’t feel I was having to learn to ride it. Put it this way, if I had demo ridden it, I’d have bought one there and then.

I would say that it definitely feels like a race bike compared to my Soda. I wouldn’t say that the carbon back end made it that forgiving, but on the flip side it feels like your effort is certainly being transfered very effectively.

The woods were a bit claggy in places but the “mud shelf” behind the BB didn’t seem to happen although the Maxxis Aspens are a roundish profile as opposed to squared off,and seem to fit through the chainstay area a bit better than a squarer one would. I think I’ll definitely be hunting down some Nobby Nics for winter though.

The only thing I didn’t like were the grips. I run Oury’s normally and found the Odi Yeti’s a tad skinny for me but I’ll stick with them for now. As it stands at the moment I could definitely become a convert to big wheels.

As a side note, The 10 speed Dyna sys seemed to work well. I couldn’t say whether it is any better or worse than the 9 speed stuff as I was trying to get my head round how the gearing translates to the bigger wheels. I seemed to spend more time on the big ring than I would on my 26″ and had a bit of a head fart trying to figure out if it was the bigger wheels, my giddiness at being on a new bike or the bike overall.

Interestingly, I had to tell nearly everyone it was a 29er most of them didn’t notice straight off.

DezB
    Free Member

I just read all of that 🙂

Still not getting a 29er! So there! 😛

redted
    Free Member

Ha-ha, it’s a Dr Pepper thing I reckon, Try it, what’s the worst that could happen?

rOcKeTdOg

Blimey, think what you’d be like on a proper 29er! 😉

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Cracking bike. It’s bang on how I’d uild it (except for the bars). Been toying with the idea of buying one of these and feel a little more convinced.

andrewh
    Free Member

I love the look of it, It doesn’t seem to look like an MTB with big wheels, more like just a big MTB if that makes sense?

Just with a really tiny chainset.

First time I’ve seen a 29er and actually thought ‘I want one of those.’

rexated
    Free Member

First time I’ve seen a 29er and actually thought ‘I want one of those.’

ditto. damn.

awkwardkid
    Free Member

I really like the look of this! Very nice! Been thinking of a 29’er next but holding out for a while. This is one of the best i’ve seen! I’m offen out attacking Lincoln’s alps so drop us a message bud 😆

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

RedTed, do you mind if I ask what the seatpost diameter is, please? Wondering if I could go for a frame/fork/rim swap with my existing 26er.

Oh, what BB format does it take?

kinger

it takes a 30.9mm seatpost and has a 73mm BB shell ….
    Stu

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I’ve gone a got one now too !
    Love it 😆

raceking
    Free Member

Hi Redted,
    Was wondering what size you ended up getting for the Big Top? I’m about the same height and very keen on these models (after some extensive research on alternatives). I think at 5’11” it’d be a medium, based on the 19″ 26er bike I currently ride. The TT length is 23.4″ with standover height of 30″. Based on the size frame you’ve got, how’s the ride? Thanks for your help!!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

6ft 4″ and ride a XL.
    Top frame and how many have you seen out on the trails…..none !

Love mine 😆

charliedontsurf

Lovely bike. And happy to see you are so happy with it.
    29ers roll, and indeed rock

That’s one more of us and one less of them.

Ps: plenty of 2.4 Nobbly nics in stock with 2.25s due next week

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s great trying to self-impose classifications on riders based on the size of wheels 🙄

Lovely looking bike though.

franki
    Free Member

Very nice indeed!

rOcKeTdOg

Yeah, it’s great trying to self-impose classifications on riders based on the size of wheels

i don’t think charlie could get anymore tongue in his cheek

clubber
    Free Member

OK… I’ll let it pass then 😉 Hard to tell these days – there are too many stupid evangelistic types around…

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘New project finished! Yeti Big Top 29er (with pics)’ is closed to new replies.