Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 262 total)
  • New Planet X Whippet (Rigid content)
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Bit WeightWeeenies-esque, but here’s a breakdown of weights:

Type Name Weight
    Frameset
    Frame On One Whippet (FM916) 1300 List + allowance
    Fork Selcof Carbon 750 Estimate from similar eBay fork weight
    Plug 40 Estimate
    Headset 60 Estimate
    Top Cap & Screw 8 Estimate
    Seat Clamp On-One Bolt Up V2 20 Estimate

Wheels
    Rims ALEX EXR30 29 1100 List
    Hubs Formula Boost 32h 655 List
    Spokes Plain Gauge 445 List
    Rim tape Generic 10 List
    Skewers Through Axle 100 Estimate
    Tyre – Front Schwalbe Racing Ray
    2.35 skinwall 705 List
    Tyre – Rear Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    2.35 skinwall 705 List
    Tubes Panaracer 484 Measured

Contact Points
    Saddle Fabric Scoop Radius 350 List
    Seatpost On One Twelfty V2 254 List
    Spacers 10 Estimate
    Stem On One Hot Box V2 70mm 150 List
    Bar On One Enduro6 780mm 375 List
    Grips DMR Deathgrip 100 Estimate

Groupset
    Shifters SRAM GX 11 122 List
    RD SRAM GX 11 265 List
    FD Blanking adaptor 20 Estimate
    Cassette SRAM PG-1130 538 List
    Chain SRAM PC-1130 259 List
    Brakes SRAM Level TL 740 List
    Rotors SRAM Centreline 180/160 261 List
    Cranks SRAM SX Eagle DUB 170mm 776 Measured (YouTube video)
    BB SRAM DUB 76 List
    Cables SRAM 60 Estimate

Not included accessories
    Pedals Nukeproof Electron EVO 354 List
    Cages Hollow alloy 49 List

Weight (g) Weight (lb)

TOTAL ————————- 11141 24.54

Edit: well, the formatting’s screwed, but you get the idea..!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

good list IDB

I’ve just bought a small whippet today, and will be breaking it all down to the frame/fork, and then building it back up with other parts, so will be weighing everything and deciding which stays and which goes/gets flogged off.

It looks like wheels/cassette/brakes/bars … are the obvious candidates to save weight.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

The stock kit is even heavier than that as it’s SX Eagle, so there’s definitely savings to be had! As has been said, wheels are 2300g, and I’ve not gone tubeless on ours yet either.

mjsmke

You could save a huge amount of weight by getting some sub 1.5kg wheels and skinny tires. That said, I went for a 1.9kg wheelset as a wanted wide rims for 2.35 and 2.6 ikons. It rides brilliantly with that setup.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

Excellent break down of the build there IDB, I love a weightweenies list.
    I’ve now put a Reba 120 on the whippet, so currently about 11.3 kg. Much more fun for the riding I do. Obviously noticeably different on the weight front.
    I think a good compromise would be to keep the rigid fork and fit a set of lighter, wider rims and a 2.6 tyre.

twonks

Thought I’d update with details of my Whippet a it is now.

I’m on the fence about selling it as it is now close to my main hardtail instead of the rigid SS I originally built and liked.

Am also beginning the think the first orientation of the bike suited it well and perhaps I should have kept it with the Ibis wheels, fatter tyres and maybe just add a dropper. Still, can’t d that now as I sold the forks and wheels.

Anyway, as it is now, the build is

Large Whippet frame.
    Reba 130mm forks
    KS 150mm dropper post
    Fabric saddle
    No name hubs with WTB i23 TCS rims
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph/Ray 2.1 tyres, tubed with lightweight tubes.
    XTR 970 cranks with 32T hope chainring.
    Saint bottom bracket.
    XT 11-36 10sp cassette
    XT 10sp shifter.
    XT rear mech.
    Deore level Shimano brakes (180/160 discs)
    Ibis 50mm stem
    Easton Havoc 780mm ally bars
    Odi lock on grips
    Can’t remember headset.

Just put the tyres on today and left them tubed for now until I decide what I’m doing with it.
    If I keep it, I’ll be getting some newer lighter wheels and going tubeless.

At the moment it is 11.36Kg.

Will go for a ride over the next week and see if the 4 lb weight reduction over the other hard tail makes itself known. (A bit daft really as I am far too heavy to push either bike)

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

@twonks – if you do decide to sell, ping me the details (and your location) as I may know someone who might be interested!

curto80
    Free Member

Long story short but my physio has said no drop bar bike riding for the foreseeable. Which obviously I just took to mean I should buy something flat barred as soon as possible.

I only really ride one of my two gravel bikes these days (one SS and one geared)and I want something comparable that I can do all-day rides and bike-packing adventures on. I know nothing about mountain bikes so am wondering if this will fit the bill? From what I can tell from Google a “flat barred gravel bike” isn’t really a name of a thing.

anagallis_arvensis

a “flat barred gravel bike”

Spesh do a flat barred Diverge

easily
    Free Member

200 quid off the GX version. Plus an option to upgrade to suspension fork if that’s what you like.

I’m very tempted, but there are no orange frames in my size available. Can I face having another black bike?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought it’d be great for bike packing as it’s go no mounts other than 2x bottle cage mounts. Isn’t there the new titanium Rocky Road which is intended more for that sort of thing?

mandog

Just got my Whippet and had a first ride yesterday. Looking to transfer my dropper post but their doesn’t seem to be a hole in the seat tube to accept the stealth cable. How have others done theirs please?

damascus
    Free Member

Website states “dropper compatible stealth”

Sorry, can’t help you in routing, I’ve got a scandal.

twonks

@mandog I ran a pull wire first, down the seat tube out the bottom bracket area and then back in up into a void in the downtube to the head tube and then back and angled out of the port at the top.

When you pull it through, the dropper hose/cable slots neatly in above the bottom bracket and curves up into the downtube.

It’s fiddly and best done as a bare frame.

mjsmke

There is quite a lot of space to route above the BB inside the frame. Might Might easier to thread some string through first using the vacuumed cleaner technique. Or remove the bb and it’ll be very easy.

mandog

I’ll give the BB route a go. thanks. Thought I was going to have to buy me (another) AXS dropper

easily
    Free Member

@mandog

@damascus

As you’re here: should I get a Whippet or a Scandal? They’re both 200 quid off until the end of this evening. They both look good to me. I quite fancy something really light (Whippet), but I’m worried it might be a bit race-y and a Scandal might be more fun.
    My only current bike is a Pinnacle Arkose 3, so I’m looking for something for messing around off-road and in the street rather than commuting/bikepacking.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m looking for something for messing around off-road

@easily
    then I’d suggest the scandal. It’s a great bike and pedals well. Handles everything I can though at it. Put narrower tyres on and it’s a gravel bike. Currently running it rigid with 2. 6 tyres on  👍

If you after a flat bar gravel bike or a xc race machine then whippet all day long.

Both great bikes and a great price but the scandal is more versatile.

mjsmke

The Whippet is race geometry but the front isn’t too low. Though mines a size small so I sit low anyway.

twonks

@easily Not sure how old you are but race mtbs to me are very much arse up head down. The Whippet isn’t really like that at all with the rigid carbon fork. I have a large frame and ran it with that fork and a 130mm suspension fork.

Felt great with both and nowhere near as aggressive as an old school XC race bike of old – hence the age question.

Suppose it could be built with a 100mm fork which would steepen it up but not sure it was designed for that.

For me it rides great with either rigid or front shock. So much so that mine ended up like my main HT – a Carbon Chameleon – so I sold it* as didn’t really want two bikes the same.

*I sold it, then I didn’t, then I built it up for the missus, now it’s going back to rigid 1×10 as a gravel ish mile muncher (or possibly SS again, but not sure the knees can take that)

mandog

I’ll be using the Whippet as a “gravelly” bike. I’ve got a 2020 Kona Unit for ragging about which I’m now selling. The geometry of each is quite different.

easily
    Free Member

Aaaaarggggghhh – still finding it hard to decide, each seems so tempting.

I’m leaning towards the Whippet just because of the weight. It would by some way be the lightest bike I’ve ever owned.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

easily
    Free Member

I went for the Whippet. It’s not on stock in my size till the 8th.
    Thanks again for the help, I’ll report back

twonks

Good choice @easily
    Mine has been through all phases of is it for sale, is it not.

Will spare everybody the details but it is now built up as a rigid 1×10 with dropper.
    Bit of a mix of components and the X01 cranks may yet come off and go onto my main hardtail.

Wheels are bomb proof and tyres are meaty as they were all off the summer spec Ibis Ripmo.

Still not entirely sure what this bike is for tbh, just wanted it built back up.

10.7KG as is.

easily
    Free Member

Whippet arrived today, hooray.

Just put it together – it seems huge! compared to my road bike, but feels comfortable. Apart from the standover, which feels bollock-scrapingly high.
    Off for a little ride around. More later

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Mrs Gasket has a rigid orange Whippet, and I’ve built another one up for her mate, also rigid (black, so they don’t match..).

They love them. The orange one comes in at 9.5kg and the black one is a smidge heavier as the spec is slightly lower. Basically, like a gravel bike but better offroad.

luv2ride
    Free Member

After originally considering a Whippet I picked up a Titus Silk Road from PX earlier this year which has very similar rigid forks (I wanted a more bikepacking focused bike with all the mounts). What’s the front mud/splash guard of choice for you rigid Whippet owners?

easily
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed that. First time out on an MTB for a couple of years.

First thoughts:
    Why are there tractor wheels on my bicycle? Why are my arms out as wide as if I’m signalling for a speeding car to stop? Where is the front shifter?

I loved it. I’d forgotten what it was like ignoring bumps and roots and kerbs – just rolling over them. I wan’t set up quite right: brakes angled too high, saddle not high enough and a little too far forward – so I didn’t go all out, but what a lovely bike! Light and responsive with quick acceleration. I was a bit worried it was going to feel a bit ‘racey’, but that wasn’t a problem at all. I assumed I’d be changing the tyres soon, but they actually seem ok.
    Very happy so far.

@luv2ride

I had a good long think about getting a Silk Road when they were on offer. I decided I’d go for something a bit more ‘fun’ as I already have a gravel bike which is great for commuting and bikepacking. Glad you’re enjoying it.

@reggiegasket

“Basically, like a gravel bike but better offroad.”
    Nice – that’s exactly what I was after.

luv2ride
    Free Member

@luv2ride

I had a good long think about getting a Silk Road when they were on offer. I decided I’d go for something a bit more ‘fun’ as I already have a gravel bike which is great for commuting and bikepacking. Glad you’re enjoying it

@Easily
    – I remember your post. Your first ride description matches mine on the Silk Road. Very different to what I was used to but great fun, love the Monster Truck feel…. Glad you’re enjoying yours. I converted to tubeless after second ride and it made the ride even better.

Let me know if you find some guards for it?

bonzodog
    Free Member

sorry bit late, its gone up in price now https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000739201605.html

@wzzzz
    I’ve never bought from Aliexpress before.

Is this perhaps the ‘same’ as the Selcof fork that O-O are supplying (minus the branding)?

…and I take it a through axle would need to be purchased seperately?

bonzodog
    Free Member

/\ oops sorry, I just realized this was nearly a year ago

bonzodog
    Free Member

Currently £1000 in SX spec or £1300 in GX spec.

Is the GX spec worth £300 more than SX?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’d say so, yes – SX is very cheap-feeling whereas GX is two steps above and a lot more solid.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

Just be aware, the cassette on my mates GX scandal turned out to be an NX Cassette. Not too much of a problem, hes as happy as larry with it.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

And yes, it did say so in the spec, so his fault, not On Ones.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Just be aware, the cassette on my mates GX scandal turned out to be an NX Cassette.

From the On One build spec: “Cassette SRAM PG-1210 Eagle 12 Speed Cassette / 11-50”

Does that denote NX? (I’m a Shimano guy)

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Yup – PG denotes standard Shimano freehub fitting (NX and SX), XG denotes XD (GX and above). Having a standard freehub at least means you can easily run SS if you want.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Heads up, new weekend code BTRT20 makes the NX carbon fork version £800 (and gives 20% off a few other bikes ready for immediate dispatch).

2 s
    4 med
    1 xl

At time of posting.

Big tease for me, as 5’10” with short legs suggests med would fit me, said for ages it looks like such a fun bike with masses of tyre clearance.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oops, meant SX.

chestrockwell

Curse you and your PSA, the XL is on it’s way to me and some retro on their way out! Guess I’ll finally find out if I like XC bikes!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.