New Planet X Whippet (Rigid content)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Planet X Whippet (Rigid content)
  • milfordvet

Liking the new On One Whippet (rigid).

Carbon frame and fork. 29/ 27.5+ flexibility this time, and its got level bars with a 625 stack height, so those carbon forks must be pretty unusually long and wide. Look like they’d be a sagged 120 swap in. It’ll be light, easy to throw over a gate and low maintenance. Good long term bike I think especially those that love rigid and seek a fast comfortable all day XC ride. 69 head angle /75 seat.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHSX/on-one-whippet-sram-sx-mountain-bike

whippet

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

Saw that and like the look. I was wondering how plussable it really is – ie 50mm rims and 3″ tyres? Or the faux-plus 30mm rims and 2.8s?

Would make a great fast bikepacking bike if I could get 3″ tyres in!

milfordvet

The spec sheet says 650b is 2.8 or 29/ 2.3. 36 max ring. 1.2kg frame.

506 axle to crown carbon fork…I think my Lurcher carbon forks are 480 and I think they take a 3″, they’ve certainly got alot of clearance, so these forks might take a bigger front tyre too as they are taller and boost. A bigger front may be possible…

That fork looks like it might well do very nicely on a Big Dog; wonder if they’ll sell it aftermarket..? (Brant, hint, hint..)

Creg

That looks great. Had one of the original Whippets, really enjoyed riding it.

cyclistm

I think it looks great. Also interested in full bike weight if anyone has seen anything??

Premier Icon Oblongbob
    Subscriber

I’ve still got an original whippet. Seems terrifyingly short and steep these days! Fast though.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon guandax
    Subscriber

No XL 🙁

Big assumption that they’ll send you the size your ordered anyway

milfordvet

They list an XL and its in stock. 520 CT seat tupe/ 650 ETT I’d say it was for 6’2″ and up?

That fork…it’s got a big high gothic arch and the legs are thin and wide giving huge potential clearance. 29+ front maybe.

whippet fork

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

Like the look but in a world of LLS, its steeper & shorter than i was expecting. The Scandal went from 71° on my 16″ V2 to 65° on the new model for example. The new Whippet hasnt moved much from the original.

milfordvet

Comparing my Swift (71-72 HA) and a 456 Evo carbon 65 HA i think (currently rigid with Lurcher carbon fork 480 AC running it 650b).

I’d drop the Swifts HA a few degrees for a bit more stability on high speed downs. Though the ‘feedback’ is kind a fun and the immediacy has its attractions.

While the slack 456 bike certainly is more stable going down, and it doesn’t matter much going up, they’re a bit lifeless steering ‘going along’. You get used to it inside an hour, but the sharper head angles are better for steering around puddles and the like for us XC mincers: I think a slightly more responsive steer, is a bit more pleasurable on a few hours of undemanding just undulating XC, wheels on the ground.

I think for XC a high sixities is about optimum balance, for having a bit less sketch on a high speed descent and still some life in it when going along on an XC all day ride. HA is going to be as individual as picking wheelsize and gearing. Downhilling and bike park I’d definately say go slack. Actual singletrack, morw old school, especially rigid where you want to steer around things a bit more, I think its OK a bit sharper.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Surprisingly steep HA.

67-ish would have made it much more interesting. Seems to be designed for a longer stem as well.

Maybe it’s a catalogue frame rather than a new O-O design?

Premier Icon colin9
    Subscriber

Has anyone bought one of these? Or ridden one?

I’m pretty interested but I’m not finding any real world info.

milfordvet

It’s still at the full price stage/ month of PX pricing. Personally waiting for it to drop to 8 something then I’ll (probably) bite…or wait for a frameset to be 3-400. Forks not listed separately, so they must be keeping them for full builds. Too far away for the pick it build it thing discount. I wished they just chucked the parts into a box with a note saying ‘ta’ and posted it to me to build, for the same discount, though to be fair my fully built Fatty was absolutely fine.

Premier Icon bigdean
    Subscriber

I have a dirty Harry frame with some ragley carbon forks.
    The forks are super short and steepen everything up, but I like the setup and not everything has to be long low slack.

Great bike, light, fast and a mile muncher.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.