Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 262 total)
  • New Planet X Whippet (Rigid content)
  • milfordvet
    Free Member

Liking the new On One Whippet (rigid).

Carbon frame and fork. 29/ 27.5+ flexibility this time, and its got level bars with a 625 stack height, so those carbon forks must be pretty unusually long and wide. Look like they’d be a sagged 120 swap in. It’ll be light, easy to throw over a gate and low maintenance. Good long term bike I think especially those that love rigid and seek a fast comfortable all day XC ride. 69 head angle /75 seat.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHSX/on-one-whippet-sram-sx-mountain-bike

whippet

40mpg

Saw that and like the look. I was wondering how plussable it really is – ie 50mm rims and 3″ tyres? Or the faux-plus 30mm rims and 2.8s?

Would make a great fast bikepacking bike if I could get 3″ tyres in!

milfordvet
    Free Member

The spec sheet says 650b is 2.8 or 29/ 2.3. 36 max ring. 1.2kg frame.

506 axle to crown carbon fork…I think my Lurcher carbon forks are 480 and I think they take a 3″, they’ve certainly got alot of clearance, so these forks might take a bigger front tyre too as they are taller and boost. A bigger front may be possible…

highlandman
    Free Member

That fork looks like it might well do very nicely on a Big Dog; wonder if they’ll sell it aftermarket..? (Brant, hint, hint..)

Creg

That looks great. Had one of the original Whippets, really enjoyed riding it.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I think it looks great. Also interested in full bike weight if anyone has seen anything??

Oblongbob

I’ve still got an original whippet. Seems terrifyingly short and steep these days! Fast though.

ampthill

No XL 🙁

guandax
    Free Member

No XL 🙁

Big assumption that they’ll send you the size your ordered anyway

milfordvet
    Free Member

They list an XL and its in stock. 520 CT seat tupe/ 650 ETT I’d say it was for 6’2″ and up?

That fork…it’s got a big high gothic arch and the legs are thin and wide giving huge potential clearance. 29+ front maybe.

whippet fork

nuke

Like the look but in a world of LLS, its steeper & shorter than i was expecting. The Scandal went from 71° on my 16″ V2 to 65° on the new model for example. The new Whippet hasnt moved much from the original.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Comparing my Swift (71-72 HA) and a 456 Evo carbon 65 HA i think (currently rigid with Lurcher carbon fork 480 AC running it 650b).

I’d drop the Swifts HA a few degrees for a bit more stability on high speed downs. Though the ‘feedback’ is kind a fun and the immediacy has its attractions.

While the slack 456 bike certainly is more stable going down, and it doesn’t matter much going up, they’re a bit lifeless steering ‘going along’. You get used to it inside an hour, but the sharper head angles are better for steering around puddles and the like for us XC mincers: I think a slightly more responsive steer, is a bit more pleasurable on a few hours of undemanding just undulating XC, wheels on the ground.

I think for XC a high sixities is about optimum balance, for having a bit less sketch on a high speed descent and still some life in it when going along on an XC all day ride. HA is going to be as individual as picking wheelsize and gearing. Downhilling and bike park I’d definately say go slack. Actual singletrack, morw old school, especially rigid where you want to steer around things a bit more, I think its OK a bit sharper.

chakaping
    Free Member

Surprisingly steep HA.

67-ish would have made it much more interesting. Seems to be designed for a longer stem as well.

Maybe it’s a catalogue frame rather than a new O-O design?

colin9

Has anyone bought one of these? Or ridden one?

I’m pretty interested but I’m not finding any real world info.

milfordvet
    Free Member

It’s still at the full price stage/ month of PX pricing. Personally waiting for it to drop to 8 something then I’ll (probably) bite…or wait for a frameset to be 3-400. Forks not listed separately, so they must be keeping them for full builds. Too far away for the pick it build it thing discount. I wished they just chucked the parts into a box with a note saying ‘ta’ and posted it to me to build, for the same discount, though to be fair my fully built Fatty was absolutely fine.

bigdean

I have a dirty Harry frame with some ragley carbon forks.
    The forks are super short and steepen everything up, but I like the setup and not everything has to be long low slack.

Great bike, light, fast and a mile muncher.

twonks

I’ve just ordered a whippet frame and rigid fork combination as the price seemed ok.

Will build it up with 29” ibis 942 wheels and 2.4” tyres. Hopefully it will be good for gravelly trails and moorland based single track type rides.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@milfordvet SRAM SX build is £850 with MTB15 code this weekend (code also works on Scandal and Big Dog builds).

twonks

Here is mine in SS mode.
    Rides very well and doesn’t feel out of place at all.
    Tempted to go back to 1 x 10 and maybe 27.5+ just to feel how it rides.

Whippet SS

Clink

Here is mine in SS mode.
    Rides very well and doesn’t feel out of place at all.
    Tempted to go back to 1 x 10 and maybe 27.5+ just to feel how it rides.

Looks nice!! How does the fork ride? Shame it doesn’t have cage mounts.

twonks

Thanks. The whole bike is a bit of a revelation tbh, although with the lockdown it hasn’t yet been any further than local woodsy type trails and a few double track gravel roads.

I’ve not weighed it but it certainly isn’t heavy and as such it rides very much point and go.

Doesn’t take any effort to get moving and seems to skip over roots and small rocks. The fork feels nicely planted and no traits of its own.

Ultimately just seems to be a light bike that doesn’t really have any character beyond wanting to go fast.

Mine is a large with a 70mm stem and 760mm wide bars. At just under 6 foot with quite short legs it fits well.

Clink

Cheers for that 🙂

mjsmke

Bought one last month when there was £100 off.went for the GX rigid build. So far I’m very please. Its light even with heavy wheels and done a few long rides. Changed the stock panaracer fire sports to some maxxis forecasters and ser up tubless which saved a lot of weight too. Also changed the SX cassette as only the top 4 are on a spider and a few were damaging the freehub body after 2 rides. Fit a sunrace cassette instead.

It’s a lot faster on smooth stuff than I thought. Might put some slightly wider tires on next. Maybe 2.4 Ardents.

luv2ride
    Free Member

…tempted.

twonks

Mines gone to 1×10 in the time since I posted the last thread. About to go for a local ride with the OH now.

In case anybody finds this after Googling internal cables, I took the liner out of mine when I went single speed and have twigged it is best to remove the bottom bracket and fork/headset then feed a new outer in from the rear forwards.

Quite easy really, just don’t try it in a hurry with a fully built bike.

dai3015
    Free Member

Hi all

I’m liking the look of this frame for a “one bike” solution – it looks as though it will take a front mech – is that right?

Thanks

mjsmke

It comes with the mounting kit already bolted on.

stanstorey
    Free Member

Has anyone got any weights for the built bikes as a rough idea? i.e. a rigid GX spec?
    Not seen any weights on PX site or other threads on here…

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks. I got confirmation from PlanetX chat that the frame will take a 2x front mech. Could just be what I’m looking for

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these for a while. I’m looking for an xc 29er that can also be used for some bike packing and multi day hostel trips and this looks like a good option. Does anyone have any info on the size? I’m 5 ft 9, would I be best with a medium or large?

wzzzz
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the fork take a 29 x 3.0 tyre?

jfb01
    Free Member

Yes the fork will take a 29 x 3.00 XR4 tire on a 35 int rim with ease.
    Built up weight,with rigid forks , 1 x 10, 22.2 lbs.
    The only problem I encountered in the build was the carbon steerer bung required for the fork.Both Hope & RS ones are too large in diameter.O-O recommend these. Selcof Carbon Steerer Fork Bung MK 2 1 18 inch
    FSSEFBUMK2-118
    1 @ £4.99
    Best ordered with the fork. I am still waiting for mine.The Selcof headset fits nicely,although the bearings fit straight onto the carbon. Only time will tell if this is a weak point.
    I got a medium orange one.It looks superb.I could not believe how light it felt.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’m pretty tempted by one of these to use as a budget xc race bike. At 5ft 11 and being a fan of big bikes, I’m not sure whether to go L or XL.

colin9

I’m 6’1 and on a XL. I’m right between L/XL sizes on the geometry and I spent a long time comparing measurements with other similar XC hardtails and their recommended height ranges. I went XL because my torso is longer than my legs, and I built the bike for fast long distance rolling so felt bigger was better.
    It fits me fine but personally I wouldn’t want to be any shorter on it. But I am used to bouncy 27.5ers so it was always going to feel quite different.

hooja
    Free Member

I too am tempted at the current price… I’m a bit out of the loop on new parts..
    Does anyone know anything about the stick wheels that come on it? Quality, weight, internal width?

I’m tempted with the gx but at £1000 the sx seems better as a base bike to upgrade?

hooja
    Free Member

… and out of interest, does anyone know if the in one decals are lacquered over, or just stuck on top?

wzzzz
    Free Member

Yes the fork will take a 29 x 3.00 XR4 tire on a 35 int rim with ease.

BRILL Thanks. Too late for the £300 deal for me.

However I also found this which appears to be the same fork for £76.

flaviosan
    Free Member

@Wzzzz,

Hi I’m looking for a fork like that, loooked all around the alixprs and some other sites, never found one and now you come out with a complete drawing, do you mind if I ask where can I find this fork?
    Thanks
    F

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I have been looking at a Whippet for a while and because the other bikes on my shortlist are sold out and not available until 2021 I think the Whippet might be the best option.

The issue I have is that I am between a medium and a large and would prefer to check the size with an actual bike and not just the size charts on the website. Does anyone in north Lancashire / south Cumbria have one in a medium or a large and wouldn’t mind me checking it for size? It would only take 2 mins and I am happy to observe whatever social distance / PPE needed (mask / gloves etc).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The geo change from medium to large looks odd to me, it has the closest stack to reach increase (+15/+25mm), at 5’10” and 32″ cycling inseam I’d choose the medium for more of a LLS feel and more standover clearance.

I normally run ~90cm pedal top to saddle top, with a 440mm seat tube and a 400mm seat post, which would leave ~110mm of post under the clamp.

Would have loved to have got a Whippet instead of my Marasa as a flat bar commuter/adventure, but I’d be worried about it standing out like a sore thumb at work and pootling to the shops.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.