Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 349 total)
  • New MacBook Pro's
  • Cletus

Surprised there is not a thread already.

They look nice but stupidly expensive – £1,749 for the non-crippled 13″ version 😯

The Dell XPS is looking great value now!

footflaps

20% devaluation in the £ doesn’t help.

You can blame jambalaya for that!

maccruiskeen

The Dell XPS is looking great value now!

for now…

maccruiskeen

They look interesting though. Not sure I’m convinced of the need of the touch bar thing but far better having touch controls there than fingerprints on the screen.

mrmo
    Free Member

my 2009 MacBook pro is starting to have issues with a temperamental magsafe connector. I was thinking about seeing what today brought. even the cheapest non touch strip is still expensive.

Mind you i guess even the cheap Air is probably faster than my current?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Touch bar is a gimmic of little value, if they offered the 15in without I would buy that. Disappointed there is no 32gb option but glad to see a 4gb card. I’ll wait a few months until the one I want is in the refurb store or maybe buy new with trade association discount. Still over 2k with the vat off, last one I purchased 2 years ago was £1600 🙁

footflaps

You seem to have to go for 15″ to get 512Gb SSD as well. Price for an extra 8 Gb of RAM is £180!

Think I’ll stick with my 2010 MBP for a few more years…..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Got an old white MacBook and a 1st gen 15″ retina, was looking to replace the MacBook but Lordy those prices are savage, not had chance to catch up, did the didly MacBook get a spec bump?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Touch bar is surely phase 1 of getting rid of the whole keyboard?

molgrips
    Free Member

Heh. Microsoft have won this quarter’s product launch easily.

mrmo
    Free Member

Heh. Microsoft have won this quarter’s product launch easily.

did Microsoft launch some new PCs? meh they still run windows so not interested.

woody74

Have you seen the price of the top of the range 15″ £2699 wtf!!!

You have to wonder what all the staff at Apple are doing. Is it really that difficult to update the Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro, etc. They are years out of date now and Apple really seems to be losing it way with the hardware. Its all rather bizarre.

woody74

Microsoft products look great and even though I hate windows at the stupid prices of Apple it does make me wonder if a switch would be worthwhile.

molgrips
    Free Member

did Microsoft launch some new PCs? meh they still run windows so not interested.

Windows lineup looks waaay cooler than Apple currently.

zilog6128

Microsoft products look great and even though I hate windows at the stupid prices of Apple it does make me wonder if a switch would be worthwhile.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/ibm-macs-less-expensive-than-pcs/

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.332604800

In an effort to be a bit fairer, comparing apple and microsoft products, the prices aren’t that different for similar specs.

I think it is not so much apple charging lots, but everyone charging lots for higher end models and apple not bothering with anything cheap.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seems to have gone down well on Wall Street.

Cletus

Maybe Apple thought that too many common people were using Mac’s and upped the prices to make them exclusive 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m guessing woody’s not running quite the same enterprise as IBM..? 🙂 Or using W7 still like IBM are…

mrmo
    Free Member

Windows lineup looks waaay cooler than Apple currently.

In your opinion, i am not a fan of surfaces keyboards, screens, design etc. I know others are though.

zilog6128

I’m guessing woody’s not running quite the same enterprise as IBM..? Or using W7 still like IBM are…

true, IMO though macs are stonking value. Still usable way after you would’ve binned a Windows PC, plus much less of my valuable time wasted sorting out problems.

kcal

Typing on an ageing rMBP.
    Really would like to upgrade. Really not sure I can!!

drlex
    Free Member

Seems to have gone down well on Wall Street.

But slightly better than the quarter results, which caused a 2% drop.

Underwhelming event, fo ‘sure.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why do you need to upgrade if ‘just typing’?
    I actually do need to upgrade as the Photoshop files I work on are getting bigger and bigger (5-10gb) and the graphics card struggles with the refine edge/masking. I already have a separate SSD scratch disk over thunderbolt.
    A new machine will literally save me time.

Tinners

iPad and iPhone user here and been holding out to buy the new 15″ MBP for a few months. Fully anticipated clicking buy this evening……..but…..the price differential, for me, is just ridiculous when you compare it to an XPS or Zenbook Pro. I use professionally for (lots of) writing and increasing multimedia activity, but will think again about the other two now. I’ve no doubt it’s a great machine, with aftersales to match though.

kcal

Wasn’t clear – I am currently typing on the rMBP (can’t recall age, 2011 / 2012 or so) – but it’s all singing all dancing m/c I use for work (dual boot into Windows for application development and testing) as well as household stuff and my accounts.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It certainly does look like an expensive option if you go for the Top of the Range..

Nice, shiny things.

Kryton57

Yep, Apple taking the piss now.

vinnyeh

Every empire must fall.

Always thought that the Macs provided decent value for money for the consumer, until this announcement.
    Interestingly, nett of sales tax they’re slightly cheaper here than the US.

Ports decision is ludicrous. I don’t own an iPhone, but at first glance, seems to me that in order to plug one into your mac you’ll now need to buy either a dongle or a new cable- the one supplied is now u/s. You couldn’t make it up. It’s Ive’s knighthood that should be being discussed in parliament.
    I notice they’ve kept the headphone jack on the MB’s. 🙂

rs
    Free Member

My 11″ Air has been awesome, love the size and portability, I got the basic one and its worked flawlessly for the last few years (touch wood), I’m really surprised they got rid of it. I guess the 12 inch macbook is a similar size but it’s much more expensive. I’ll be keeping this for the forseeable. They are really missing a product for the basic user.

retro83
    Free Member

The touch bar and fingerprint reader look great.

slowoldman

At those prices I can see my 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro with 1Tb mechanical drive having to continue in use for some considerable time.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Look lovely, my 2008 macbook getting quite creaky now, but there is now way that i’m coughing up that kind of money. Have the put the prices up of the 12′ macbook too? Seems the cheapest one is now 1200.

slowoldman

Have the put the prices up of the 12′ macbook too? Seems the cheapest one is now 1200

Yep looks like it. I think my next mac may be an iMac and keep my current Pro for purely mobile duties.

pdw
    Free Member

Underwhelming. I was holding out on this announcement as I’m in the market for a new one, but for £1400 I can get a Dell XPS 13, higher resolution, i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD in a slightly more compact case… vs £1450 for an i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD in a 13″ MBP.

Plus Apple have ditched one of the really innovative features of their laptops that I really miss on other brands: the magnetic power connectors. Meanwhile the touch bar seems like a pointless gimmick on what’s supposed to be the “pro” range of laptops. I’d assume that all “pros” can touch type and don’t spend any time looking at the keyboard. I’d rather have keys I can feel and just remember what they do.

It’s also irritating that Apple don’t disclosure which generation of processors they’re using. Presumably they’re 7th gen but annoying that their marketing machine deem this too technical to disclose, even in the small print.

My last three laptops have been Apple, but I think it’s time for a change.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m assuming the touch bar keys change depending on the application?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s also irritating that Apple don’t disclosure which generation of processors they’re using. Presumably they’re 7th gen but annoying that their marketing machine deem this too technical to disclose, even in the small print.

Looking like the older spec Skylake CPUs from a little detective work, which isnt ideal. They’re expensive for sure, but when compared with a similarly specc’d XPS, Spectre, SurfaceBook etc, they’re in the same ball park (just at the high end).

The Touch bar doesn’t do a lot for me, the physical keys I can press, know what they do etc without looking. Coding without a physical esc key may well suck as well, but who knows.

The ‘Pro’ line just seems to be a way of differentiating between their product lines now, rather than a moniker that spells out the audience. If I can get the company to buy me one, I’m happy, otherwise I’ll probably give this current model a miss.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Similar specced?
    http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=z510896au&model_id=xps-15-9550-laptop
    XPS with
    1TB Storage
    32Gb RAM
    Probably equivilent graphics card
    2 Actual USB ports !!
    an HDMI Port
    and Thunderbolt
    Retailing at $3700 Australian and on offer for $3150

Surface Pro with 512GB SSD 16GB RAM & I7 is $3400 with the 1TB SSD option taking it to $4100

The MacBook is $4250 512 Storage 16GB RAM and a lot less connectivity and no touch screen

they’re in the same ball park (just at the high end).

It’s a big ball park 😉

But hey a fingerprint sensor, never seen one of them on a laptop before 😉

Interesting to see that this thread and the Iphone 7 both seem to have the lack of gushing love that mac launches normally do.
    Guess thats what the collective Meh on the share price was

winrya
    Free Member

Products looks awesome. Nice to have a new colour choice. I was ready to make an order but those prices are crazy.

Air 13″ £100 price increase
    Basic retina gone up £250
    Pro without new bar £250 increase
    Pro with bar, almost a £400 increase.
    Top end 15″ has gone from £2500 to £4049.

I’m out, they’ve gone crazy. All the pricing predictions were that they’d keep a £999 retina, a £1199 model, maybe £1349 for the bar 13″. I’ll keep my early 2015 retina then, it might go up in value once the new ones launch

onandon
    Free Member

I was all up for buying one but the prices are too high. I specked a 13 to the level I wanted – £2400. Nope

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 349 total)

The topic ‘New MacBook Pro's’ is closed to new replies.