Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • (Attempt) to learn to wheelie or manual first?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Which is ‘easier’ to begin with?

I imagine learning to manual would be more useful, but as someone who can’t do either I’m determined to attempt to master one or the other.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Manual is relevant to MTBing, wheelie not so much.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I appreciate that, but is it easier to learn to wheelie then move onto a manual or just skip the wheelie altogether?

CheesybeanZ

7 hrs .

ferrals
    Free Member

wheelies are way easier IMO – in so much as I can wheelie Ok but my manuals suck. Have very very rarely used a wheelie riding though, whereas even my rubbish 2s manuals are useful

edit. I’m not sure the two skills equate that much in terms of learning?

OwenP

Both?

Manuals are easier on a slight downhill, wheelies are easier on a slight uphill and the balance point thing is complimentary for both.

So if you have time to go out for a practice, find a (quiet!) slope and manual down then wheelie back up. That’s easier if you have a dropper post 🙂

Don’t think either is easiest personally – they both need the right technique but then just practice practice.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve read that it’s best to learn to wheelie first as this way you get used to finding the balance point.
    I’m still crap at wheelies…

Andy-R

I’m crap at both, which really annoys me, as I could wheelie a trials bike ’til the cows came home.

iainc

…..and don’t practice manual clipped in on tarmac… 😳

….cracked elbow and skin graft was my result !

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

That’s a great vid CheesybeanZ (apart from having his bike stolen)!

Ouch iainc, I’m on flats so hopefully I fall with a bit more luck.

I like the idea of trying to wheelie up and manual down.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

wheelies first manuals second I think. can’t really explain it but learning to wheelie is a bmgood way to learn back brake control and how your balance is affected by different parts of your body and bike. then you can take that to manuals. it’s a much more ‘I did x so x happened ‘ feeling.

all in my humble. opinion of course

the00
    Free Member

Wheelies are prob easier to master. You have the opportunity to pedal and brake to keep yourself at the balance point. Find a nice smooth surface, slightly uphill, and keep the saddle up.

Gilles

I think manual first, as this can be used eventually for jumping/drop off. Wheelies will come naturally.

I said “I think” because i still can’t do it.

kayak23

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Manual is relevant to MTBing, wheelie not so much.

Not so. Watch your average #sickedit and they’re always power wheelying away from corners 😉

I used to do good wheelies as a kid but have become rubbish now. I find learning to manual through a rhythm section on a pump track works well but I can’t sustain it on the flat currently.

I’d go wheelie first, manual second, nose manual third…

schmiken

They are both useful for doing a front wheel lift – manual is generally when you are carrying more speed, wheelie when going slower. Both are useful for drops – manual if downhill and dry, wheelie can be useful if you hit a patch of mud or the run in is damp.

The key with both is not to pull with your arms but rather to move your body weight backwards and pivot around the hips.

funkmasterp

I too am unable to do either despite trying. I’m blaming big wheels. I could manage small wheelies on my old 26er 😥

Poopscoop

Glad I’m not the only one that is rubbish at/ can’t do either!

Will check that video or later.

chrispo
    Free Member

I’d say wheelie first because when you go over the back you can easily get your feet down, whereas if you go over doing a manual you’re more likely to land on your arse (and, worst case, coccyx – ouch)

sirromj

nose manual third…

WRONG!

Endo/stoppie 3rd, nose manaul fourth.

andy4d

I wasted half an hour of my life trying to manual the other day….it is not easy. I was getting no where so I gave up for now. 😳

sbob
    Free Member

sirromj – Member

Endo/stoppie 3rd, nose manaul fourth.

Facial reconstruction surgery fifth. 😀

You can’t manual up hill, so wheelying is more important for showing off on any incline.

kayla1
    Free Member

Wheelies are loads easier than manuals. You can manual up a hill but it’ll soon peter out!

Fancy-dan new fangled bikes are a bit harder to manual and bunnyhop though ‘cos they’re longer and lower (and heavier!) Going from an XS BFe to a small Flare was a bit of a wake up call 😆

sirromj

Facial reconstruction surgery fifth.

Last Summer spent a few lunch breaks in a secluded spot behind a field of corn-on-the-cob riding up and down practicing endos. Quite good fun actually, especially when you find the balance point. Definitely recommend flat pedals.

bigjim

wheelies first, definitely, much easier to get up and control and ladies will throw themselves at you

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It’s finding somewhere quiet enough that there’s no one to point and laugh at me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re in your forties, I’d learn neither; not a good image for the sport.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thirty something.

And I’m amazed it took you this long David 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

I think you’ll get away with it. My top tip for learning wheelies would be: drag your back brake

sharkattack

As a teenager I used to be able to wheelie for as far as I liked. Once I nailed that balance point I could stop pedalling and cruise. Then I could pull up and hit the spot, no pedalling required.

Yeah I’d definitely learn to wheel first. You spend way more time sitting in the right spot so learn the back and forth weight shift thing. Otherwise you’re just riding around yanking on your bars and wondering why it won’t stay up.

breadcrumb

I can wheelie pretty well but a proper manual with eludes me.

Kind of managed when I was younger going down hill, but only when getting to initial lift from the pedals.

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

Practice going over too far and off the back lots. Will vastly improve your confidence in being in the balance point once you realise you can just stand up! Think wheelies are easier to learn, manuals I can only do short ones.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘(Attempt) to learn to wheelie or manual first?’ is closed to new replies.