Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Macbook day :-) – what software should I install?
  • oldtennisshoes

Not had a new computer for 8 years and so decided to take the plunge on a new Macbook.
    So what software – mainstream and utilities should I be looking to install.
    Use will be a typical mix of browsing, office docs, photo, bit of video editing.
    What you got?

PS I’ve been an Apple fanboi for 30+ years, so I broadly know what I’m doing, but any tips and tricks still greatly received.

jimdubleyou

Have a look at Setapp.

It’s a subscription model, but if you’re going to be buying some of the main apps, it’s worth it.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks Jim – looks interesting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Office??

🤯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Malwarebytes..

🤧

oldtennisshoes

Necessary evil I think BB 🙁

Superficial
    Free Member

My favourite Mac find: Dozer is simple, free and solves a problem. I love it.

It’s a bit of a Mac cliché, but Better Touch Tool is now indispensable for me. I’m sure it’s useful for the TouchBar, but I use it for remapping various keys and for window snapping (which should really be a part of stock Mac OS).

I’m also using Alfred but I’m a bit on the fence with this one, it doesn’t do a lot for me that Spotlight can’t do, but others swear by it.

Cougar

Windows? (-:

bentandbroken

I am surprised at Cougars recommendation, he is usually more on the money with IT stuff….

Just for the record, Windows 10 is what you need!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Counterstrike Source!

vinnyeh

Windows? (-:

Obviously one of the big advantages of a mac- a genuine dual boot option, aside from the plethora of free and paid for virtualisation software.

I’ll again suggest Brave- been using it as my default browser for a couple of months, natively banishes ads while still displaying the STW classifieds, loads significantly faster than Chrome, doesn’t feed data to Google.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Macbook day :-) – what software should I install?’ is closed to new replies.