Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Lyme Disease vaccine
  • CountZero

As the title says, a new vaccine for Lyme Disease is in its third stage human trial, with hope that it could be available some time in 2025. I hadn’t realised that a highly effective vaccine was available twenty-five years ago, but a few people complained about suffering arthritis as a result of taking it, and the media got involved and stirred up a big anti-vaxx campaign. No connection was ever proved, but the damage was done, people refused to use it, and it was withdrawn! 🤬

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/lyme-disease-vaccine-pfizer-final-phase-human-trials/

piemonster

That is good news

And you hardly hear from anti vaxxers these days so hopefully they wont be a problem.

fossy

The anti-vaxxers will be busy with the proposed Polio vaccine roll out in London.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A vaccine for a fairly rare and difficult to diagnose disease, often identified by people doing their own research and then blamed for everything from lunar eclipses to a runny nose only to be told there’s no proof by experts and professionals?*

In honesty I can see the antivaxxers getting behind mass roll-out for this one.

*it is a real thing, it’s not a good thing to catch and it can be very serious. But it also ticks (sorry) all the boxes your local qanoner could possibly want barring an allergy to radio.

footflaps

getting behind mass roll-out for this one

Why would you mass roll out a vaccine for a low incidence illness?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well you wouldn’t. Which is half the reason I can see the antivaxxers calling for it.

Dark-Side

Tick borne disease is prevalent enough here in Finland that most people I know have the vaccine.

#Edit Sorry, this vaccine is for TBE rather than Lyme disease.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Edit Sorry, this vaccine is for TBE rather

Darn, now you’ve reminded me to check mine is upto date but with precisely not enough time to do anything about it before I travel except know if it is it not.

Yak

This is good news.
    And in tick heavy areas has to be better than the local drs prescribing antibiotics on a daily basis during the warm months.

poly
    Free Member

We mass vaccinate against low-incidence conditions like meningitis all the time. Indeed because vaccines work other conditions are now low-incindence too (e.g. measles). The point is for relatively rare conditions it may be worth widely vaccinating if the consequences of infection are high enough. I suspect for Lyme its probably not enough for the general public but farm and forestry workers it probably is, and for at least some outdoorsy people it is and some would elect to get it even if they are fairly low risk (I probably would even though I seem to get far fewer ticks than others doing the same things literally at the same time/place).

scotroutes

I’ll be first in the queue!

matt_outandabout

*waves*
    Second in queue.

footflaps

I suspect for Lyme its probably not enough

That was my point. I can’t see any cost benefit analysis recommending a mass roll out for this one.

northernremedy

Shotgun third in the queue

piemonster

Fourth

csb

I’ll go fifth fully expecting them to run out after pies had theirs.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think a mass rollout is worth it. It’s not being passed on through humans, so vaccinating everyone won’t make a difference. Vaccinating all farm and wild mammals in the country would probably help but that might be a touch difficult.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Vaccinating all farm and wild mammals in the country would probably help but that might be a touch difficult.

Mainly you’d need to vaccinate (all) mice. That really would be hard work!

somafunk

And hedgehogs, my mate picked up a small hedgehog from the road one afternoon and noticed how lifeless and light it was, on closer inspection it was infested with tics so she removed them all with a tic remover, about 25ish in total and kept the hedgehog in a box in the shed with food/water to recover for a few days and put weight back on, she built a wee hut for it and released it into the garden and its now taken up residence. I’ll get pics of the amount of tics, it’s the stuff of nightmares as they were all fat n’ juicy with blood.

kerley
    Free Member

No mass rollout is required, it would be very specific based on area where the person lives and what activities they do.
    The New Forest has a high incident rate and I go walking about there and have picked up ticks as have the dogs, making me a good candidate for vaccination.
    Others live around the New Forest but only leave their houses in a car to get to the nearest towns making them lesser candidates.
    And that is in a high risk area

Greybeard
    Free Member

What do the black areas on that graphic mean? No data?

kerley
    Free Member

Black is no cases recorded in the period (1998 – 2015)

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-7245-8

CountZero

I don’t think anyone is advocating a mass rollout of the vaccine, but the number of people suffering from the results of tick bites are escalating, so it makes sense for a vaccine to be made available for those most likely to get it, or more importantly, those who suspect they might have got it.
    Vaccination against Lyme disease would now be commonplace if it wasn’t for hysterical media amplifying unfounded claims of a side-effect, as noted in the article, which resulted in a highly effective vaccine being withdrawn.

Milese
    Free Member

As count says above, you’d only focus the vaccine on the at risk populations.

Inner city folk who never leave their apartment block – no point

Walkers, mountain bikers, farmers – dose them up!

My daughter loves horses and ponies and was happily stroking a wild dartmoor pony last summer. I got close and realised its whole face was riddled in ticks, gross. No more stroking pony!

burko73

Interesting to compare the new forest with the Isle of Wight. Main difference being no wild deer on the isle os with.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.