Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New LT 29er Hardtail, where do I start?
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

Hi, been away for a couple of years and out of the loop.
    Decided to get back into the sludge and would like something similar to my old 2Souls Quarterhorse but a bit more up to date.
    Ideally in steel, 150mm travel.

Ideas please

David

Shackleton

Budget for frame? Complete bike?

honourablegeorge

Cotic Solaris is only 140mm, but I’d start there. Stanton Switch 29er is lovely also. Pipedream Moxie more hardcore. Nordest Bardino, Productuon Privee Shan GT also.

IIRC the QH was quite short, so most of the above will be pretty different geo-wise.

Candodavid
    Free Member

£2.5k all up

qwerty
    Free Member

Orange P7 @ 140mm?

pigyn
    Free Member

Starts and ends with a Chromag Rootdown 😂

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6WL3ThHNUp/?igshid=1s8uts8vqdnin

Candodavid
    Free Member

Been looking at that one, its on the list

danti

How about a Large Ti Quarterhorse in lovely condition which you could put a 2 degree slack headset in ? 😉

tdog
    Free Member

Pipedream Moxie I’d say 👍

johnw1984
    Free Member

I ran my Pace RC529 at 150mm and it was decent. I just don’t get along with long travel hard tails. I do often wonder if it was a setup issue though (it has been pointed out since I sold it).

Adjustable wheelbase via sliding dropouts worked quite well I thought too. Still the best climbing bike I’ve had (better than the Spark and DV9 which are/were a lot lighter).

tdog
    Free Member

Or perhaps treat yourself to A CURTIS 👍😉👍

zezaskar
    Free Member

Another week fighting the urge to build a killer Pipedream Moxie with 160mm 36s and ditch the FS, another thread making things harder for me

walleater

A bit of an outlier in the UK and when I change from Canadian to UK on their site it doesn’t show prices, but the new Norco Torrent is pretty rad:

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/all-mountain/torrent-ht-steel/torrent-ht-s1/

goby

Zezasker, know exactly how you feel!

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t ridden it but the current Solaris’s geometry appeals a lot based on my other bikes – even though I’d only be on a medium I prefer the balance from longer chainstays (they’re 420mm on my hardtail but 455mm on my full-sus, both bikes about 455mm reach). And I don’t like super steep seat tubes.

The Moxie looks cool – and is probably great if you’re always riding steep lines – but I don’t see it having the cornering balance in flat turns or as good a pedalling position on rolling trails.

singlespeedstu

Nordest Bardino.
    Pole Taival.
    Nice to see you back David. 👍

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you are probably legally required to demo a SolarisMAX if you’re considering a steel hardtail 29er.

Mine has a 140mm fork and it’s a great bike, still can’t see anything I’d chop it in for (apart from the new purple one).

I know Chromag frames are very highly regarded and aesthetics are subjective, but that bent top tube – and the way it doesn’t meet the seat stays… not for me.

sparko234
    Free Member

Moxie.

Climbs like a beast, descends like a beast.

Pipedream Moxie Hardtail Review

sparko234
    Free Member

The Moxie looks cool – and is probably great if you’re always riding steep lines – but I don’t see it having the cornering balance in flat turns

Because?

chiefgrooveguru

“Because?”

Chainstays too short vs wheelbase.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Why limit yourself to 29″ wheels? I find 27.5+ offers more grip.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

And more pinch flats.

I totally agree with Pigyn.I have a 2019 Cromag Rootdown and it is awesome! I have also owned a Nordest Bardino which was a great bike that I would totally recommend (the only reason that I replaced mine is that it wasn’t a Chromag!)

Candodavid
    Free Member

I can’t get another Curtis, had 2 already

Candodavid
    Free Member

hmmmm Chromag Doctahawk, I really shouldn’t have looked at that

They do look good. It’ll be a bit hard to come in on budget though unless you are using loads of components that you already own.

Candodavid
    Free Member

F*** the budget

Is the correct answer!

transition1
    Free Member

Hello Dave

longmover
    Free Member

Chromag Rootdown.

Candodavid

hmmmm Chromag Doctahawk, I really shouldn’t have looked at that

I have a Doctahawk frame waiting for parts, it is a thing of beauty. By the time the frame was built and imported with a rubbish exchange rate to USD it was nearly 1800GBP. It is light green and I can’t decide which fork to put on it at the moment – Ohlins, 36 (has to be orange) or a Lyrik.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

And more pinch flats.

Yeh, if you fit the wrong tyres.

pigyn
    Free Member

We could have got you a doctahawk a LITTLE bit cheaper, but not much! No way around it they are lovely though. I think there may be an arcturian in my future, just love huge tyres.

We have M/L and XL Rootdowns at £640, clearance 2019 and will be starting the year with some 2020 Rootdowns, back at £750. Can special order anything else Chromag do. Taiwan frames £750, Whistler frames £1500.

Front page

pigyn
    Free Member

If you click that there is a Doctahawk link 🤣 it doesn’t show properly

longmover
    Free Member

Pigyn – I think I will be buying some Daggas off you in the new year.

pigyn
    Free Member

They look great, I think we have two sets in black left. Just used a set on our Guerrilla Gravity demo but it will be a few months before I am allowed to test them.

Much smaller feeling in the flesh, don’t look or feel out of place on trail bikes. Very nice bit of kit

beamishblue

The Moxie is amazing. I’ve had loads of steel hardtails and the Moxie is by far the best. It’s great on all trails and can handle some serious terrain.

dc1988

Marino is good if you want something custom and don’t mind waiting a bit.

bedmaker

My tuppenceworth – I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with any of the bikes mentioned. Modern geo hardtails are simply ace.

Three years ago I was in the process of signing off my Chinese Ti frame. It was considered fairly outlandish by many on here at the time
    Given the passage of a few years, it is pretty normal. It’s still great fun, rides great and hasn’t snapped 🙂

Doing it again today, I’d go 50mm longer reach, up to 500mm, and HT 65 degrees instead of 63.
    I’ve had super short chainstay bikes, and pretty long ones. Pros and cons with both. Somewhere in the middle, around 445 works really well imo.

2019-12-25_12-30-34

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yep me to Dave… Been away for a few years and everything has gone tits up…. Not a clue what to get now.. May just stick with the good old Yelli scream for a bit… Til I get my head around it 😂

sheepdip71
    Free Member

Cotic are super helpful & regularly do demo days or you can drop them an email & go ride from their HQ. There is a loop you can do from the offices.
    Quite nice talking face to face of what they can do for you.
    Just built up a Solaris Max & changed from a 2013 Solaris & wow what a difference. So nice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New LT 29er Hardtail, where do I start?’ is closed to new replies.