Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Ibis
  • honourablegeorge

Well, ish.

The Mojo HD-R. Same geometry, pretty much the same weight. What’s “new” is that it’s 650 compatible if you swap the shock to make it 130mm travel – even though you could already fit 650s to the existing HD

Adn Orange got criticised for not innovating…..

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_hdr_0307/

julians
    Free Member

That fits firmly in the evolution not revolution category.

if it aint broke,dont fix it…

A nice update of the HD though, addresses a lot of peoples complaints about the original, especially the iscg tabs.

honourablegeorge

Yeah – I hadn’t noticed the ISCG thing, that helps.

And it can be run with 650b in 150mm if you use the HD 160 setup and fit a travel limiter on the shock (same as the original HD).

I really do like the blue….

godzilla
    Free Member

That blue is ghastly, so chuffed i got one of the last white ones in my size.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Is it actually a new frame? Or can you fit the existing frame with the different limbo chips to run the bigger wheels?

If so, in some ways it actually makes sense IMO, a shock & a set of wheels is a lot cheaper than a frame on top too, especially if your existing one is great anyway.

honourablegeorge

No, I think it’s all but identical apart form the ISCG bit and some slight weight savings. There might be slightly better mud clearance for 650 wheels, but I’m guessing, ‘cos no pics show it. You could fit 650 wheels to the old version, but you needed to limit travel in the same way.

All in all, it doesn’t really justify being tagged as a new bike, much less two new bikes. It’s a few minor running changes. But I’m tempted, I admit.

godzilla
    Free Member

All in all, it doesn’t really justify being tagged as a new bike, much less two new bikes.

More than that it didn’t need the “IT’S COMING! 10/06/2013” hype that whipped up a micro frenzy on MTBR, people where trying to hack Ibis and everything lol

honourablegeorge

Microfrenzies are always good PR though

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t want to be one of those internet clever dicks who dismisses a bike on the basis of head angle, but isn’t 67.5 a bit on the steep side for a 160mm AM bike?

Genuinely wondering as I see a lot at Gravity Enduro races.

ojom
    Free Member

The frame is about .3lbs lighter and is a slightly different mould so you get the right clearance with a 650b x 2.35″ tyre for example.

The normal HD does not have this clearance.

If you would like more info or chat about it you can catch me at markdownie@2pure.co.uk

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So how did your Mojo run in 650b mode Mark? Or should I just stick to rubber queen 2.4’s 🙂

AlexSimon

It might handle differently – it’s not all about wheel sizes and angles.
    The DW might be tweaked, it might be stiffer in different places, etc.
    Don’t dismiss it as ‘the same bike’ without riding first.

If two similar steel hardtails can feel completely different, I don’t see why this can’t too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It might handle differently – it’s not all about wheel sizes and angles.
    The DW might be tweaked, it might be stiffer in different places, etc.
    Don’t dismiss it as ‘the same bike’ without riding first.

If two similar steel hardtails can feel completely different, I don’t see why this can’t too.

Exactly.

I read that they’ve used different carbon layup techniques to alter the lateral stiffness/vertical compliance ratio.

chipps
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Ibis’ is closed to new replies.