Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Highland Biking centre
  • ac505
    Free Member

bit more in the Scotsman
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/crown_estate_wheels_out_mountain_bike_trails_plan_1_2005493
    Published on Tuesday 13 December 2011 02:24

A NEW mountain bike centre planned in the Cairngorms National Park could attract up to 15,000 people a year, it is claimed.

Park planners have approved a Crown Estate proposal to build two trails near Tomintoul, including one of the longest single-track descents in Scotland.

They backed the new trails – of 10km (6.2 miles) and 19km (12 miles) through the forest at Carn Meilich and Carn Daimh on the 58,000-acre Glenlivet Estate.

The descent from the summit of Carn Daimh on the longer of the trails will be about three miles.

The £500,000 project includes a small centre with space for a cafe, information area, toilets and car parking.

The Crown Estate says mountain biking is a boom sport and the centre could benefit other local businesses, and boost summer tourism, by targeting a sector of the market currently untapped.

Vicky Hilton, the Crown Estate’s countryside manager, said: “I am delighted that our plans have been approved. The Crown Estate has been working hard over the past few years, with support from Moray Council economic development department, to develop these proposals for mountain bike facilities that will provide a real boost to the local economy.

“The project will help to create jobs and attract visitors to the Glenlivet and Tomintoul area.”

Allan Wright, a national park board member and Moray councillor, added: “I’m pleased to see an opportunity being taken to attract more people to the Glenlivet and Tomintoul area. If the bike trails are as good as we’re being told, mountain bikers will travel far for the experience.

“For the residents of Tomintoul, having such a facility on their doorstep will be something for them and tourists to enjoy. There should also be employment potential.

“For local businesses, I was encouraged by the public declaration from the developers that they would engage with business interests in the vicinity to ensure any marketing strategies for the trails encourage and maximise the delivery of ancillary benefits to Tomintoul, Glenlivet, and the wider area.”

The project, which is being funded by the Crown Estate, European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), Cairngorms National Park Authority (CNPA) and Moray Council, attracted 23 representations, the majority of which were objections and a petition against the plans was drawn up.

Objectors said the centre, which will be two miles from Tomintoul, is too remote to have a positive impact on the village and said forecasts for usage are “extremely optimistic”.

There was also concern about traffic safety, the speed of descent, potential conflict between walkers and cyclists and the effect on wild birds and possibly wildcat in the area.

Opponents also questioned the viability of the business with fears bad weather could see the area being inaccessible for several months and the effects on existing tourist accommodation business.

The developers said as part of the planning process a pre- application consultation was completed and feedback was used to adapt the original plans and take into account suggestions and concerns raised by the community. They said that based on a similar project at Laggan, it will attract between 10,000 and 15,000 people annually. The trails will use existing tracks and new sections with a condition they will be no wider than 1.2 metres to help protect the surrounding forest and landscape.

CNPA planning officer Mary Grier said: “Interesting and challenging trails will be created from the existing landform rather than being man-made and will involve limited construction and minimal tree felling.”

simonralli2
    Free Member

The descent from the summit of Carn Daimh on the longer of the trails will be almost three miles long, making it one of the longest in the country.

Can’t argue with that can you – just so long as it isn’t too rocky!

swavis

This one’s been going on for quite a while now so I’m glad the planning’s been finally been approved 😀

Frodo

Why not develop the ski resort for biking. The train would be ideal for transporting bikes!

Glad to see their finally ctaching up with Wales (imo the best mountain biking venue in the world!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Frodo – you ever been to scotland?

Looks good to me this new development

Frodo

Yes, take away the 7 stanes and there isn’t a great deal left.

epicyclo

Frodo – Member

Frodo

Just sayin like ….

(I have lived in Scotland)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Frodo – Bobbins.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Utter bobbins Frodo – I bet there are more miles of better quality purpose built mountainbike trails in the tweed valley than in the whole of wales – and there is an awful lot more than the seven stanes – from the other trail centres to the trump card of right to roam

epicyclo

Frodo – Member
    Just sayin like ….
    (I have lived in Scotland)

Are we talking trail centres or are we talking about trails? If the latter then I agree with TJ. If it’s trail centres I can’t comment because I don’t see the point of them in Scotland.

Kit
    Free Member

SBZ and TJ – ever lived and ridden in Wales?

…trump card of right to roam

Just because you can, doesn’t mean it’s worth it.

Personally, I think Scotland is best for views and trail centres, while England is best for natural riding.

Frodo

I bet there are more miles of better quality purpose built mountainbike trails in the tweed valley than in the whole of wales

Now whos talking bobbins.

I’m only saying that imo Wales is better. I find it better developed and more accessible. Some of the natural trails in mid wales are simply stunning.

I’m not sying Scotland is crap, i just prefer Wales and some of the Scottish trails are well overhyped.

molgrips
    Free Member

In my experience of Wales (which is reasonably extensive, I live here) the most mountainous parts are not actually so good for trails because the terrain’s too difficult. A lot of Scotland must surely fall into that category? From looking at the maps the really remote rugged parts (which are quite a bit) seem to have very little in the way of trails or indeed anything at all apart from contour lines.

Then again you have great long trails like what’s it called.. General Wade’s Road..? That seem to be more epic than any single trail we have down here.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m only saying that imo Wales is better. I find it better developed and more accessible.

It is probably for the exact same reason that people consider that Scotland has better biking, i.e. it is neither as developed nor is it as accessible.

swavis

This is why I love the stanes being down in the borders, it leaves the trails up here reasonably empty 😉

the_lecht_rocks

great news – another development on the doorstep 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

swavis – Member
    This is why I love the stanes being down in the borders, it leaves the trails up here reasonably empty

You’re confusing cause and effect. That’s why the 7 Stanes were built in the borders 🙂

swavis

Works for me druidh 😉

messiah
    Free Member

From the “central belt” where many folk live Laggan is straight up the A9… Tomintoul and Glenlivet is the arse-end of nowhere 😕 It will work as a multi center stay with Aviemore and Laggan but as a day trip from almost anywhere it’s an arse to get to.

PS. If people think MTB’ing in Scotland is crap then feel free to stay away and leave the trails to those of us who appreciate them 😆

PPS. I love trail centres, and moontains, and forests… I just love biking me :mrgreen:

user-removed
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    In my experience of Wales (which is reasonably extensive, I live here) the most mountainous parts are not actually so good for trails because the terrain’s too difficult. A lot of Scotland must surely fall into that category? From looking at the maps the really remote rugged parts (which are quite a bit) seem to have very little in the way of trails or indeed anything at all apart from contour lines.

So long as you don’t mind riding landrover tracks, the Highland estate’s access roads are ideal for getting you up into the mountains proper. And there must be thousands of miles of such tracks – some are pretty much singletrack, some are well maintained and used daily by estate workers and gamekeepers.

The Isle of Skye is an example of what you’re talking about – not so much in the way of estates, or estate tracks, so a lot of the remote bits are no fun for riding (despite what the magazines say).

duckman

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    Frodo – Bobbins.

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

Shouldn’t that be Baggins?

scotsman
    Free Member

Tomintoul and Glenlivet is the arse-end of nowhere

Aye it is but that’s a good thing as I class it as my own personel trails 😀 IMO where there are talking about building them is not really required as there is plenty of natural stuff around that area anyway if you know where to go 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

How many folk go(t) to Golspie?

If its as good as that I’d go. And its a lot closer for me than Gt.

And yeah everyone^^^ is correct there is nothing worth biking north of the borders. Absolutely nothing. zip. nada.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Highland Biking centre’ is closed to new replies.