Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New, higher max heart rate. Woohoo! or Oh no!!
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m not getting any younger, and I’m definitely not fitter than I was six months ago, so why would my max heart rate now be 171bpm versus 164 bpm that it was around six months ago?

For background, I was doing some Zwift Crit races about six months ago which were definitely max efforts; one race I maxed out at 164 bpm.

Today I did my first turbo session for around four months. It wasn’t a particularly difficult session – more a systems check and flush out my legs but I recorded 171 bpm max.

No health changes over the last few months that I’m aware of, so possibly just an anomaly?

Age 57 for context, so my previous max hr was inline with the (discredited?) 220-age formula and outside of Crit races, I’d rarely see 160 BPM.

HR was measured with a Tickr HR strap on my Garmin 530 but I was also wearing a Forerunner 945 using its own HR sensor and that was very close (172 bpm). Past measurements were also on same HRM and Garmin’s.

JAG

I don’t think I’d worry about that.

The shift from 164 to 171 is only a 4.26% increase. Maybe you just tried a bit harder that day or your measuring devices are +/-5% accurate and you did the same effort both times.

Either way I wouldn’t be concerned. I’m 54 and I see 175-178 somedays ;o)

beej

Check the HR graph. Is it a steady/fast rise or is it like a switch has been flicked and an instant jump? If it’s a steady rise I wouldn’t worry. If it’s an instant jump it’s either a dodgy reading or it could be a heart rhythm issue (very unlikely though – a rhythm issue would probably show a much higher reading).

I used to record higher max heart rates on the first few training sessions after a a month off.

dovebiker

Unless you’re displaying symptoms of tachycardia I wouldn’t worry about it, you’re still well within what would be an acceptable range for a fit person of your age – I’m 56 and my max is quite a lot more.

DickBarton

You sure the previous HRM was accurate? If you use the old system, is it showing the increase as well?

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I got a new max heart rate of 191 last weekend on a big group ride. I am 57 as well so quite high for an old geezer. I also use a Wahoo TIKR chest strap and a Garmin but it’s the 1030 I have (similar software). My previous max was 186 from a few tears ago. Although my max used to be 210 when I was in my twenties.

I think that max at the weekend was going up the 20% slopes of the Lecht climb so no wonder I was blowing a gasket. Nothing to worry about I think. Control room just kept asking the engine room for more power.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’ve found the Wahoo TickR to be prone to inaccuracies when compared to the Garmin equivalent

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Having just jumped on the turbo for first time in a while, your body including heart will be more stressed during harder efforts making your ususal top end power harder/impossible, it takes ~2 weeks of frquent turbo rides with z4+ intervals for me to get power and heart stats similar indoors and out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New, higher max heart rate. Woohoo! or Oh no!!’ is closed to new replies.