• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New helmet options, what do you like?
  • z1ppy

What’s good at the moment, but also might not make me look like a complete mushroom? (in Large, 60ish-cm sized)
    I’ve only got one head, so I’m happy to spend more for protection and venting, otherwise a moveable visor, and a central vent ontop for the exposure mount would be very very convenient.

What do you currently use/recommend?

(I know I need to try them, but an ideas of what to look at, is what I’m after)

scotroutes

I bought a Kask Rex a few years ago. Really comfy, good venting and coverage, peak flips up high. It doesn’t have a central vent but I bought the wee converter to fit an Exposure to a GoPro mount as the Rex has one built in.

Availability of them seems poor but I found one for sale last week so snapped it up to replace my old one.

marsbarman
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Specialized Tactic 4 for the last few months, I get on with it a lot and the glasses storage system it’s got under the visor is brilliant for those long, slow and sweaty climbs where they might otherwise fog up. MIPS liner doesn’t squeak which is something I found on my last helmet (Met Roam). The static visor doesn’t bother me either – I’ve never been in a situation where I’d like to adjust it.

tjagain

The one that fits best without having to tighten the cradle. One with a smooth outer shell with no aero bits at the back. One with a peak you can remove and throw away( i have seen two people smash noses an a crash as the peak smacked their face)

sofaboy73
    Free Member

obviously depends on head shape, but for me the POC Tectal helmets are the best fitting / most comfortable helmets i’ve found. lots of venting so never gets too hot, plenty of coverage and a nice adjustable peak. if you go on their amazon store there a few sub £100 ones on there

Yak

Go for fit first. I fit giro/bonty/tld, but not specialized. Currently on a TLD A2 and it’s very comfy. I would probably look at the A3 if choosing now. I also look at the Virginia uni scores for force transmitted because the last concussion I had lasted for far too long.

nickc

Helmets are just one of those things that are so personal it’s pretty much impossible to recommend. I normally buy from  either of the manufacturers I know will fit – Sweet Protection and Giro, and buy one that has an easy to reach ratchet so I can loosen and cinch it when I want to one-handed,  comfy pads with no seams that rub or scratch, MIPS or equivalent and easy (again one handed) glasses stowage, and these days a gripper on the rear to keep googles in place.

Beagleboy

@sofaboy73 What shape of head do you have? I’m struggling with my POC Tectal. I have a big round 62cm beachball sized heid and at first I thought the Tectal was a great fit. However, the darn thing keeps slipping down towards my eyes everytime I hit downwards rough stuff!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Giro Fixture as it’s the only one that fits my enormous head without adjustment with either a hammer or flame.

It’s kinda weird if you think about it… using a heavy blunt object to bash down the shock absorbing material from the inside in order to make the helmet big enough

I normally burn it off with a candle, but that leaves horrible spiky lumps.

So, anyway kudos to Giro fir being the only manufacturer that actually makes xl helmets

scotroutes

MET do giant sized helmets too.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

@sofaboy73 What shape of head do you have?

long a narrow, rather than big and round, which is why most other helmets don’t fit great for me – to get enough for / aft space they are normally too loose at the sides, whereas the Tectal fits like a glove

susepic

Sigmasports have got some great offers on helmets in their end of summer sale at the moment.

a11y

in Large, 60ish-cm sized

Giro and Fox helmets suit my head shape (unlike Bell which are a terrible fit on me). However, I’m on the cusp between medium and large on recet Giros with MIPS – medium too small but large definitely too loose, couldn’t tighten the cradle enough plus the brim intereferred with my riding glasses.

Currently using Lazer helmets. Got both a Chiru MIPS and Coyote MIPS. Both very comfy and decent ratings on Virginia Tech.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

As always with helmets, I’d recommend going to a shop and trying some on. Fit is everything.

@Yak – is the Virginia Uni scoring system mtb helmet related?

Tia 🙂

oikeith

I bought a Kask Rex a few years ago. Really comfy, good venting and coverage, peak flips up high. It doesn’t have a central vent but I bought the wee converter to fit an Exposure to a GoPro mount as the Rex has one built in.

This

chrismac

Based on the usual recommend what you have Im really happy with the 100% altec.

zerocool

I found that Kask helmets aren’t very big. I ended up with a 7iDP lid as it was quite roomy on my huge (62cm) melon

Yak

@notjustacyclingaddict yeah mtb and road helmets on the Virginia tech website. It’s the only independent test available afaik.

z1ppy

Cheers for the suggestions, especially the POC on amazon Sofaboy73, and the sigmasports sales.

singlespeedstu

Been using TLD helmets for years.
    A1/A2/A3 but have recently bought a Leatt 4.0 and really like it.
    Seems a fair bit cooler than the A3 I still occasionally use.
    No central vent on top for the Exposure mount but you can use a sticky GoPro mount instead.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Planet X helmets are very good IMO, better than some very expensive branded stuff

Quite expensive at the moment @ £16.99

jeffl

I have a Giro shaped head. Used to have a Hex and replaced it with a Giro Source when it was called upon to sacrifice itself back in May.

If anything the Source fits even better. But as people say really depends what shape head you have.

z1ppy

Well that was no fun… spent the last couple of months going to local shops & it’s a real struggle to find a shop with many, if any more than one brand in, to try for fit. Even if they do have a couple of brands, they don’t necessarily have the top models, as they’re more likely to sell the mid range stuff. I ended up ordering a Kask Rex and an old stock Bell Super 3 (my current helmet) from CRC, not an option I really wanted to use. The Kask is going back, purely as the Bell has slightly more coverage and I prefer the ‘look’. I did like the Kask though, and if I hadn’t noticed the bargain Super 3, it would have been the one. Cheers again for the recommendations

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.