Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New helmet is already 5 years old.
  • Wally

Bit surprised to see 2017 stickered inside my newly purchased helmet from a large online store. Is this really an issue?

Out riding now on old helmet and I have all packaging, if I want to go to the faff of returning it. WWSTWD?

tjagain

pays yer money and takes your choice. Was it packed up properly in a box?

Helmets degrade with age, sweat and UV exposure. 5 years in a dark place will not degrade it to any significant amount

cheap helmet – suck it up. expensive – return it would be my thought

scotroutes

Is this really an issue?

No.

Trimix
    Free Member

You do know they are not some fancy scientific force field with a time limit, dont you.
    They are made of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) foam. The stuff used in packaging and insulation often.

Wear it and enjoy your ride.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Never had one new 5 years old they are normally 3 years old or slightly newer never brought one made in the same year in 30 odd years of cycling.

TomB

This becomes an issue if you do an MTB qualification- I was asked to get a new helmet when we had a gear inspection on a BC level 2 leader course and mine was 8 years old, they suggested it should be <5. No idea if any real structural loss with time if kept out of UV degradation.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

This becomes an issue if you do an MTB qualification- I was asked to get a new helmet when we had a gear inspection on a BC level 2 leader course and mine was 8 years old, they suggested it should be <5. No idea if any real structural loss with time if kept out of UV degradation.

Was about to say something similar. Got my assessment in May and last time round he pulled me up for not having a manufactured date within 3 years in my helmet.

Bit pissed off TBH. Could fairly easily buy another helmet but really don’t see that the world needs another 300grammes of polystyrene, plastic and cardboard chucked into landfill

Trimix
    Free Member

Thats a really interesting link. Its not one published by the marketing departments 🙂

@thegeneralist
    – you make a very good point.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Question is whether I’m willing to risk a fail to make the point…

footflaps

They last pretty much for ever. Some chap, in NZ, got hold of 100+ old helmets (up to 27 years old IIRC) and tested them all – all passed the standard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New helmet is already 5 years old.’ is closed to new replies.