Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • New granny gear thing for 1×10 users.
  • Mackem

Exclusive: Take Your 11-36 Cassette to the Next Level with OneUp Components’ 42t Sprocket

Looks interesting. Unfortuntately, for me, I’m using a Zee short cage mech so a change of mech would be needed.

retro83
    Free Member

Quite interesting I suppose but £60 seems a touch pricey!

ahwiles
    Free Member

ok, this is just getting silly now.

Mackem

Silly? Why?

wwaswas

good to see they chose to test it on a bike with a double chainset 😉

actually it’s a lot cheaper than any of the other solutions I’ve seen to get wider ration without going to X11 etc.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Looks great but wait to see if prices drops when a couple of companies bring them out, bit like the narrow/wide.

z1ppy

darn site cheaper than XX1 or the general lee solution.

honourablegeorge

Really like the look of that.

stevede
    Free Member

Hopefully works components will do something similar. I’m currently 32t up front and 11-36 on the cassette, that’s enough for getting up everything but for racing it would be nice to spin the legs out in an easy gear on the transitions to save the legs a bit.

Mackem

I’ve said this many times but Shimano could make (even more) money if they did a dedicated 1×10 wide-range group.

tops5
    Free Member

I would be having that if I hadn’t just splashed out on a short cage mech

bob_summers

Good idea but I’ll wait for superstar to copy it 🙂

What about flex? That’s a long way between the teeth and where it’s anchored (the spacer), especially as it’s alloy (even my 34t is steel). I wonder if shifts would feel a bit noodly.

tang
    Free Member

I like that and would consider it on the next 1×10 drivetrain replacement. Surely Shimano are going to do a 1×10/11?

cp

neat idea for some, but if you took their Work Less Ride More slogan seriously, then you would have strong enough legs not to need it.

akira

I think a decent middle ground is possible, a ten speed 11-38 cassette would be great and shouldn’t work out much more expensive than normal. Shimano and sram seem to be ignoring a big demand for reasonably priced ten speed wide range cassettes.

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure about that jump smack in the middle of the cassette either, I happen to know that’s a gear I use a lot!

An entire XX1 group is less than £750 at CRC, there must be vouchers around to get that even lower. If you’re looking to go 10 speed anyway and your wheels are compatible it’s probably not a huge jump!

warpcow
    Free Member

bob_summers – Member
    Good idea but I’ll wait for superstar to copy it

What about flex? That’s a long way between the teeth and where it’s anchored (the spacer), especially as it’s alloy (even my 34t is steel). I wonder if shifts would feel a bit noodly.

^This (including the Superstar bit). There have been some around for a while in steel and most feedback on mtbr says that they just bend and fold under load.

bob_summers

I happen to know that’s a gear I use a lot!

Look on the bright side. It won’t wear out so quick 🙂

750 is a good price for XX1 but by the time I’ve added a twist shifter and a ProII freehub, it’s waaaay over budget.

crankrider
    Free Member

Superstar cant ‘copy’ it until the Taiwanese design it, make it, test it and offer it to them… we may be waiting a while! – They don’t actually make anything themselves remember….

I quite like the look of this (apart from the green which will come off in seconds!) and may give one a go – but a bit put out by the jump from removing the 17T

Hurry up shimano and make a 11-40T 10 speed cassette, if it was under £80 you would sell buckets of them!

njee20
    Free Member

Look on the bright side. It won’t wear out so quick

And that’s how I know I use it loads 😉

750 is a good price for XX1 but by the time I’ve added a twist shifter and a ProII freehub, it’s waaaay over budget.

That includes Grip Shift. I’m certainly not saying it’s cheap, but for those considering upgrading it’s not a bad price at all.

bob_summers

It does? Well I’m running out of excuses not to upgrade 😕

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wonder how well this works with a 10 speed rear mech? I thought the 11 speeds were significantly different in order to get out the way of, and shift up to, the massive sprocket.

ten speed 11-38 cassette would be great

This would do me nicely.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not sure it would make all that much difference really. I reckon you’d need a 40 to make a difference.

It does? Well I’m running out of excuses not to upgrade

Yep! No deals – just the sum total of all the parts individually, Grip Shift is cheaper (and lighter) than trigger.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im quite happy with my 3 x 9 setup thank you.
    I really dont get all this extra dicking about to save the weight of a granny ring & big ring and effectively limiting your gear range.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m not sure it would make all that much difference really. I reckon you’d need a 40 to make a difference.

Be nice to have that option too 🙂 Though I’m not sure I’d want a much bigger jump between sprockets than I’ve got with 11-36.

DanW
    Free Member

While £60 for one sprocket seems expensive it is much cheaper than the alternatives for those with an existing 10 speed drivetrain. For those on 1×10 the rear mech capacity shouldn’t be an issue plus you either gain some top end speed or an extra bail out gear.

bit put out by the jump from removing the 17T

I agree with this. However a 16T sprocket from Rose Bikes for about £3 should pretty much solve this I’d have thought (11-13-16-19-21-24-28-32-36-42).

The range with a 36T chain ring is the same as a 11-32T cassette and 28/40T double chainset minus the top gear (and with a 34T ring the same range as a 11-36T cassette and 28/40T double chainset minus the top 2 gears). Not bad going really.

Wanted to hate it and be skeptical… but pretty tempted now!

mrblobby
    Free Member

extra bail out gear.

For people who’ve used x11… how useable is that sprocket? 6 teeth seems a big jump which makes me think bail out gear rather than one you’d plan to use.

Edit… just wondering if I had that whether I’d actually fit a bigger chainring to take advantage of it? Probably not.

Double edit… though I guess it’s still a few teeth less than knocking it down from middle to granny on an old triple.

DanW
    Free Member

mrblobby, I wonder the same thing too.

At the moment my thinking is a 32T chain ring and 11-42T gives an easy enough gear to get up the gloopiest, sludgiest Welsh mountain in winter then switching to a 36T chainring gives an easier granny gear than 32T & 11-36T but more top end speed for Summer. Still able to get up some steep extended climbs at the point of fatigue but a bit faster on the flatter drier trails too hopefully…

Would also like to know how 11 speed riders actually use the range.

To me it seem like I use the easiest gear on steep, long climb regardless how easy or hard the gear is, it still feels hard, and still always wish for another gear… all that changes is how fast you go 😆

crankrider
    Free Member

While £60 for one sprocket seems expensive it is much cheaper than the alternatives for those with an existing 10 speed drivetrain. For those on 1×10 the rear mech capacity shouldn’t be an issue plus you either gain some top end speed or an extra bail out gear.

The problem is, they wont come in at £60 – it will be more like £90-£100 by the time shipping and customs take hold (VAT and Import duty)

If a UK dealer gets hold of them they will be £100 too – everything is always the same in Dollars as it is Pounds 🙁

If we all shoot Works and e-mail maybe they will make one?

scottfitz
    Free Member

If we all shoot Works and e-mail maybe they will make one?

I like that plan.

DanW
    Free Member

OneUp site suggests no import duty to the UK…

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/shipping

Maybe they pre-pay it???

crankrider
    Free Member

OneUp site suggests no import duty to the UK…

So they now have control over UK Import and Customs then?

Wolf Tooth customers got stung, and I have been stung for several $30 items in the past – plus they charge you a handling fee of around £10.00 if they send via usps…

Northwind

Cool, they’ve invented Megarange. Looks like a good idea to me tbh, sensible approach. SRAM want to keep the benefits to people buying expensive groupsets and Shimano don’t want to support 1×10 since that amounts to admitting they’ve been owned by SRAM so we’re probably not going to get a mainstream option, this looks like a good alternative to the General Lees etc.

Incidentally if anyone really wants a bailout gear for their 1×10, here’s what to do. Get a thick/think chainring and a clutch, and go with no chain device. Now, fit a granny ring. It weighs nowt, and the only way to shift into it is to get off and move the chain by , so you’ll not be tempted to use it all the time but it’s there when your legs give out. Ta da!

(it has the extra advantage that it’ll infuriate people on the internet)

adrec
    Free Member

looks like a nice but bodged solution. dont shimano do a super wide range cassette in their budget range? why not just make an XT version of that?

surely if you dont need the 17T cog, ie the gap between 14? & 21? is acceptable, then we can remove every other cassette ring all go back to 5 speed and all the bumpf we’ve been fed everytime shimano stick another cog on the cassette is all lies.

tmb467
    Free Member

Get a thick/think chainring and a clutch, and go with no chain device. Now, fit a granny ring.

I like that idea – I’m happy with 1×10 and havent had a problem but can see the advantage on a longer / hillier run when the 34t is too much

DanW
    Free Member

Before everyone bombards Works, it appears they have something similar in the pipeline for the New Year all being well.

simonm
    Free Member

I’ve used one from Ebay for about 9 months on a 29er, was about £35 imported, Didn’t ride it as much as main bike, maybe 300/400miles. It worked well, the world didn’t end, it didn’t bend, jumps between sprockets were ok, it didn’t wear much in that time and I ride in the Peak.

I liked having that extra bail out gear here in the Peak.

crankrider
    Free Member

I’ve used one from Ebay for about 9 months on a 29er, Didn’t ride it as much as main bike, maybe 300/400miles. It worked well, the world didn’t end, it didn’t bend, jumps between sprockets were ok, it didn’t wear much in that time and I ride in the Peak.

Seen the e-bay ones – do they have anything to stop them eating the freehub body away?

Before everyone bombards Works, it appears they have something similar in the pipeline for the New Year all being well.

I got the same e-mail back from them…

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to seeing what Works comes up with. I’ve been happily running a 40t General Lee adapter for the past few months and I’d happily replace it with another if I had to. The other option I’m interested in is the Trickstuff 40t cassette HERE but I don’t think it has been released yet.

DanW
    Free Member

Simonm- how heavy is that ebay sprocket? Seems like a big chunk of steel!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘New granny gear thing for 1×10 users.’ is closed to new replies.