Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New GPS time
  • whitestone
    Free Member

Well, not altering the time used by GPS, that would be akin to the magnetic poles flipping but a new GPS unit.

I’ve had a Garmin 510 for about seven years but this week it’s been playing silly buggers! On Wednesday 98.5km in to a 100km+ ride it crashed. As in properly toys out of the pram crashed, virtually a factory reset with things like unit being reset to stupid and all bike and activity profiles gone. Today I did another 100km ride and got home to find I can’t access the Activities folder as it and several others are “Unix executables”??? Despite setting units back to metric the unit has seen fit to return them to stupid. I suspect the permanent storage/flash is borked.

And breathe.

The 510 was mostly used for road rides, I’ve an Oregon for my off-road stuff, so what’s a good replacement?

AD

There is a good deal on the Garmin 520 at CRC at minute. I just bought one for £149.99 to replace an ageing 200.

andytherocketeer

Well, not altering the time used by GPS, that would be akin to the magnetic poles flipping but a new GPS unit.

Funny you mention that bit, because there is a GPS week rollover next year. Be interesting to see what devices have hardcoded the current value in software 😉 If it thinks it’s 1999 then you have the answer.

As for the other issue, sounds screwed.

My Garmin (etrex Vista something) only understands a maximum of exactly 100 files on the SD card. After that it can’t and won’t record anything. But I don’t think it’s that. Seems like it needs the mass storage repairing.

daern
    Free Member

My Garmin (etrex Vista something) only understands a maximum of exactly 100 files on the SD card. After that it can’t and won’t record anything. But I don’t think it’s that. Seems like it needs the mass storage repairing.

Bought my son a (cheap) faulty Garmin 510 from eBay that had the same symptoms, perhaps even worse as it wouldn’t let you save any settings. Wiped the storage and repaired using chkdsk, reinstalled using the Garmin Express update app and it’s as good as new. Still going strong 18 months later…

scotroutes

I use the Oregon for on-road too. Maybe with a different set of maps?

whitestone
    Free Member

Might be the interim solution Colin. I’ve both OS and OSM maps on the Oregon. Just need a(nother) bike mount for the Oregon.

scotroutes

On-road routing works really well with OSM and it’s clearer to read when pedalling along too. I still have an Edge 705 that I bought pre-Oregon but it’s never used now.

whitestone
    Free Member

A tenner for the mount vs £150 for the 520, hmm. I’ll try that.

BTW, our other item is progressing.

scotroutes

Whoop!!

Give me a payment option and I’ll chip in.

whitestone
    Free Member

Just tried a reset, hmm. Apparently I’m a 9″ high 4232 pound 8yr old!!

Can’t change stupid to metric (or gender!) I can change the above three values.

Does look like the flash is fubarred.

Caher

I’ve ditched my Garmin for Wahoo. Got the Elmnt. Superb.

johnnystorm

+1 for the element. If you’re following gpx routes or want to go from a to b they’re brilliant on road. Not great if you want to go wandering mid route but I’ll forgive them that for the rock solid reliability and user friendliness.

Caher

I like the way it integrates with komoot. Have been stuck in the middle of nowhere and found a decent off road route home for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New GPS time’ is closed to new replies.