Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • New garage – what do you wish you had done to yours?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

@trail_rat did you fit the French doors yourself? If so where did you source them

i did – gumtree , someone dismantling a conservatiory had to take a window to the tip as well but freebie. far better than the old door.

clubby

Ronseal diamond floor paint is a fairly cheap and effective way of doing the floor, even if you are going to put tiles down. That ceramic floor looks amazing, although I can almost hear the tears the first time you drop a heavy tool on it.
    One thing I find invaluable is long wall hooks, about 8 inches. Bit of pipe lagging on them and they’re great for hanging spare wheels and tyres. Mounted above where the bikes sit, so use wasted space and one for each wheel size makes tyre selection much easier.
    Make sure any shelving unit is weight rated much higher than you think you need, it’s amazing how much much a fully loaded tool chest weighs.

airvent
    Free Member

Lots of food for thought here – thanks everyone.

flicker
    Free Member

@trail_rat

I replaced my garage side door with one of these

https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/panelled-security-doors/panelled-security-steel-door/

very good quality, doesn’t look like a steel security door and was easy enough to fit, did need a couple of helpers to lift in to place and secure though, not light.

Saccades
    Free Member

For flooring, I used old event tiles. Were 5 quid a square meter, solid plastic and work a treat.

oikeith

My garage only has a front up and over so I was thinking of fitting a side door, instead I just shut the garage door when not in use and try to keep it down when I am in and out.

Like most others I painted the walls white and the floor grey, do I get points for painting the first two courses of bricks with floor paint to look stylish?

Everything I pick up for DIY is from the Screwfix nearby, think it was own brand masonary paint but Leyland for the floor maybe.

I fitted an L shape of kitchen cupboards with worktops and this has worked for me so far, I did plan in and have a rack next to it where helmet, goggles and pads go to dry with some other things which I think would ruin a cupboards inside like bike and car wash stuff which can be wet.

I did look at purchasing coach bolts, security cameras and other stuff to protect the bikes, would have cost £300ish, after reading some other threads if you’ve been targeted they’ll still more than likely get in and get them so pay the extra £40 per year on the house insurance for cover, only specification was a ground anchor to lock the bike too.

To save floor space, my MTB sits on the floor in an crank axle stand with my other bikes hung above it from the ceiling on hooks, two for the bars and one for the seat, they are slightly offset so they stay closer to the walls, works really well I find.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Frankly knocked it down and started again, ideally replacing it with one of those log cabin things.

It’s currently sodden, I thought I’d beaten the element in Spring making it water tight, but no, it’s a horrible mess. The old rug I put down is full of rot and it stinks. The shelves I put in a bowing will likely collapse soon. Which is a shame as they the only way of keeping anything remotely dry.

Anyone know of a non-porous expanding foam? I know it’s the tool of the muppet, but I’m getting desperate.

twonks

If I had a garage within or connected to the main house, I’d portion some of it off and make a wet room for cleaning bikes and a heated space with a shower and changing facilities for people.

Won’t be cheap but if starting from a blank empty garage I bet a lot of it can be done DIY if you have a mediocre knowledge level.

All the other options so far in this thread have me thinking about our garage, which sadly isn’t attached to the house and is currently full to overflowing with all sorts of crap.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have the foam tiles on my floor, I would have painted it as well but as most have mentioned if you don’t do it before you move in you never will.

I painted all the walls with masonry paint from screwfix with a masonry roller, took two coats for a solid finish.

I would better plan the bench and power arrangements, I have now installed a 4m bench but I need to add more power both above and below. It seems the garage is going to be slightly domesticated with a freezer and tumble dryer, and now will provide winter storage for the aircon unit too.

I would love an outdoor tap and sink/drain.

I would thoroughly recommend installing 600×600 LED panels 4300 colour tone they are amazing, I have 4 above my bench and will be replacing the rest of the LED batons with them too, no shadows and a nice easy on the eye light.

Defo board the loft if you have one, a hatch will suffice for storing christmas decs etc. that will cut down how much you have to heat should you need to.

Seals around the up and over, I have installed a motor on mine I got it for £15 on ebay, a faff to install by myself but love it as does the wife when she is popping in and out with washing etc.

retrorick

https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/panelled-security-doors/panelled-security-steel-door/

Thanks for the link. I have a door I need to improve and this could be a good starting point.

FuzzyWuzzy

My garage is pretty basic but the two main issues with it are:

Not enough light

Not enough wall storage (as a result my workbench is now cluttered with so much stuff I can only really use the vice attached to it rather than the work surface itself). Tool hooks etc. are good but having something like kitchen cabinets on the walls or decent stacking shelves is what I’m lacking

Oh and putting a brush strip on the bottom of the door helped stop all the crap blowing in :p

trail_rat
    Free Member

That door looks like a good replacement for my uPVC unit. It didn’t survive the demolition of my old utility room so well and is probably not long for this life so a solid door like that is a great heads up.

tomaso
    Free Member

My concrete sectional garage was leaky damp and drafty. It had no power and an up and over door that repeatedly tried to kill me. It has all the DIY stuff, all my car and motorcycle tools, a motorbike or two and eight bicycles. Space is tight.

I wish I had had the money to knock the sectional garage down and build an insulated and secure workshop. Instead I’ve done the best with what I’ve got.

Best improvements:
    1. A roof that doesn’t leak and doesn’t have thieves breaking in through it. Cementitious corrugated crap replaced with 18mm OSB and profile steel sheet.
    2. A door that doesn’t try to kill you, that seals the drafts, stops the rain coming in and is secure. Up and over replaced with SWS roller shutter – ebay bargain that had to be picked up from a house in Glentress, so a free bike ride thrown in.
    3. Power and lighting.
    4. Other places to store the boring crap – sheds are good, but the tip is better.

Just having a clear out of stuff I don’t need. Gone through a scrap yard of 90s bike tat – Syncros stem, Dia Compe 986 cantis, a White Industries crank arm, one red Shimano DX v brake… I definitely need to be more ruthless about what will be handy to keep.

prawny

@spooky_b329 do it, my dad had his done with them, it looks mint and they’ve outlasted him significantly.

Always had a car on every day look as good now as they did when he had them put down years ago. I can’t remember when he had it done but he’s been dead three years so it’s been a good while.

wayniac
    Free Member

Regarding a french door to replace a garage door…..

I live on a new housing estate that was nearing completion. The sales office was the garage of the showhome albeit with a nice interior and some french doors. These doors were custom made to perfectly fit the garage door opening.

Had a word with the site manager and found they normally just sling them in the skip once the estate is complete and the sales office is closing. He was happy to just take them out and leave them at the front for me to collect free of charge.

diz

Hi those who have put the interlocking floor tiles down, did you seal the concrete prior to laying. If so what did you use?

TiRed

No I did not seal my floor. No need as the concrete is completely covered.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@airvent

Apologies for the wait, the heaters at work are Newlec which don’t appear to be available any more but are functionally identical to these Dimplex ones.

plumber
    Free Member

Starting from the mess ours was left in by the previous owner

During construction (approx 2 week) the Mrs was not allowed in nor did she know what I intended to do.

End goal music and chill out room/personal art gallery.

in order

Renew rotten rear window and door with PVC
    Insulated plasterboard on all walls and ceiling – new layout – 2 main rooms and one tiny ‘shove your shit in here’ room
    Double power sockets everywhere – 20 in all
    Downlights and track spots
    2 lockable doors between rooms and tiny meter cupboard
    Paint all walls, ceiling, skirting, architrave and doors
    Self levelling screed and office quality carpet tiles
    Plug in Wifi Extender
    TV on the wall with prime
    Install Art gallery
    Install music toys

Show the Mrs, shes in tears, loves it
    She takes all my carefully arranged art prints and paintings to distribute through the house

Over time the art gallery become her gardening room.

Get some nice furniture free off facebook market place.

Acquire too many guitar amps and stack them along one wall.

Put in black out blinds as it get too hot in summer.

Overall worked out well but I still want my art gallery

bruneep

Paint the floor, can’t be arsed emptying it to do now

fossy

Too much stuff. My son’s started filling it up with tools and stuff for his car, and a ruddy roof box.

feed

Essential Stuff I have

Turbo trainer related
    =====================
    Wahoo Kickr Turbo Trainer
    Really strong fan plugged in to an Alexa plug for voice control to turn it on\off during turbo sessions.
    Ordinary really quiet fan with remote control (for turbo sessions)
    Apple TV gen 5 with Zwift installed, plugged in to a computer monitor,
    Hi Fi system, Monitor plugged in to it for sound
    Adjustable stand for iPad
    Alexa enabled de-humidifier, essential for post turbo session so mtb gear stored in the shed doesn’t go mouldy
    Alexa Echo dot, plugged in to hi fi, use it mainly as bluetooth receiver to play music from the phone and for voice control of Fan \ heater de-humidifer.

Non-Turbo related
    =================
    Wi fi
    Electric Fan Heater. Plugged in to an Alexa plug so I can turn on\off with voice from the shed or house.
    Boot\shoe dryer, one of the ski boot type.
    Shelves, with boxes for diy stuff and bike stuff (mainly bike stuff)
    Halford tool chests
    Work bench and tool board (cheap one picked up from Aldi, more than adequate for me). Small vice attached.
    Beer fridge
    Wall with bike hooks to maximise bike storage
    I also have a small storage box in the back garden so I can store all the mundane stuff like lawn mowers etc in it and not take up shed space which is guarded from family dumping 🙂

Stiffee
    Free Member

I’ve just recently kitted out a brand new garage and done a lot of things recommended in this thread and piston heads.

Painted the walls white with masonry paint.
    Fitted IKEA kitchen cabinets to create storage and a workbench at the back.
    Added twinslot shelving and storage racking in suitable spots for shelving.
    Tiled the floor in a checker board pattern using dotti porcelain tiles (highly recommended on piston heads). This worked out at 1/3 the price of having the floor epoxied professionally.
    Fitted LED batten lights.
    Fitted an electric roller door to save ceiling space.
    Fitted a Woodford Model 22 mixer tap just outside for hot and cold water.
    Added a lot of double sockets around the walls, a dedicated socket for the garage door and all the wires are ran in conduit.

I’d do it all again, but painting the walls and tiling the floor has made a real big difference to the feel of the garage and looks very smart. The led batten lights are fantastic as well.

The one thing I find myself needing, which I will add at some point is a light switch at the garage door end, for when I come in from outside.

wayniac
    Free Member

If you are after some french doors look for any housing developments nearby that are nearing completion.

Often the sales office is a converted garage block with French doors across the opening. Once they finish they convert back to garages and throw the French doors in the skip.

I asked on my estate and they were happy to take them out carefully for me to collect. They are an inch perfect fit to my garage door opening. I noticed the other two sets of doors in the skip!

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

This thread needs more pictures

dyna-ti

No garage, cos no car, and a tiny bit of garden.
    But I’ve seen a few pics of them in the States that had a stonebuilt fireplace at one end…..A couple of easy chairs…. looks like bliss.

TiRed

More plug sockets. And painted walls for the light. Plastic floor tiles are warmer than a painted floor.

jkomo

Double size shower tray for washing bikes

phil5556

I’m (finally!) getting a shed sorted in June which means all the junk will be cleared out of the garage and it’ll be getting a bit of a makeover.

I’ll be building a decent work bench area (maybe kitchen units), putting some decent LED lights up, taking out shelving to give us space for bikes, putting heavy duty rubber floor tiles down and painting the walls white. I had considered boarding the walls and insulating the outside wall but think I’ll just go with painting for now.

What I wish I hadn’t done was have a nice sectional door fitted, it eats into the ceiling space too much. Especially because the ceiling is much higher than the opening. In hindsight a roller door would have been a much better use of space.

sharkattack

I had considered boarding the walls and insulating the outside wall but think I’ll just go with painting for now.

I put 18mm OSB panels on 2 sides of a rectangular space. Looks a bit nicer than bright white emulsion and it’s great for attaching stuff to. I built my workbench right up against it and it’s bombproof.

It doesn’t rob too much light as the LED panels are so bright and even. It’s a nice place to be.

phil5556

@sharkattack did you batten the walls first?

I am tempted but I’m trying to do it as quickly and relatively cheaply as possible.

sharkattack

I didn’t I just winged it for speed and simplicity.

The garage is part of the house and the long wall is fully internal. It’s warmer than average with no damp to worry about. I just cut the boards to size, drilled the holes, put some huge plugs in with No Nails type glue and bolted them up the next day.

Very happy with it and glad I made the effort. If they ever warp, buckle or fall off I’ll just admit I got it wrong and sort it out!

Another top tip for anyone who is interested…

I found a 3m long alloy bar in a skip and used to it make a curtain rail against the roller door. I made a curtain from cheap eBay dust sheets. Now in the winter the freezing cold metal door is hidden and the internal space is many degrees warmer.

Neb

I’m just in the middle of a garage refurb 4.5m X 4.5m. Old single brick garage with a sloping roof, double storey at one end and single at the other. It was bloody freezing in spring, autumn and winter!

After 8 years of thinking that I’ll get round to sorting it, we’ve just got a professional in to do it properly. Battens on the wall (with air gap behind to allow the single bricks to breathe) 50mm celotex, false ceiling with 100mm of wool insulation. All covered with OSB. Lots of sockets and led lighting.

Almost finished painting everything white. OSB is not fun to paint!

Still to do: Vinyl floor tiles, threshold for door to stop draft, insulate up and over door, work bench to build, floor mounted bike rack, paddle board ceiling storage, open wardrobe for wet/muddy stuff, dehumidifier, amp and speakers.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

What I wish I hadn’t done was have a nice sectional door fitted, it eats into the ceiling space too much. Especially because the ceiling is much higher than the opening. In hindsight a roller door would have been a much better use of space.

as above, doors lovely but lose so much space and headroom in the garage … lesson learnt
    Need to sort lighting out in mine, what’s the goto battens to use , ideally 2 of them .. screwfix ones ok ?

intheborders
    Free Member

Those wanting to wash their bikes inside – why exactly?

I built a bike wash outside in the corner of the garden. L shaped fencing, paved and with a run-off drain. I took the inspiration from the bike washes you get at places like Glentress.

Only complication was getting a mini digger in and trenching the 20m from the nearest outside tap…

In my workshop I do though have a parts washer sat on the bench.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Some great inspiration here, currently planning something myself, couple of questions.

– For wall mounting bikes, what space do you leave between each hook?
    – Anyone roof mounting bikes? Saris Cycle Glide looks a good option though not sure whether permanently keeping bikes upside down is wise.

dogbone

50cm apart

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘New garage – what do you wish you had done to yours?’ is closed to new replies.