Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New fox 36 damper in Old chassis
  • Dicky1080
    Free Member

Hey there. Does anyone know if its possible to fit a 2018 fox 36 damper in a 2013 chassis? Maybe it’s possible to swap the top caps? Or some sort of heli coil type arrangement? Cheers

BearBack
    Free Member

With 32s there are a variety of top cap threads and bore id’s

2016 was not backwards with 2015 so likely similar challenges with 36 especially when they moved to the new chassis.

You might need to physically try it and see

Dicky1080
    Free Member

Thanks for the input mate. I have read somewhere about people using 2015 damper in 2013 chassis and then about using 2016 damper in 2015 chassis so was thinking that they might all be compatible.

My other idea was to swap the top caps but again not sure if it’s doable.

Don’t really want to invest the cash and find out it’s not going to work and end up stuck with a damper I can’t use or sell!

From what I’ve read, it’s well worth the upgrade!

BearBack
    Free Member

What’s your lowers servicing experience? Offer to do seals and 20wt gold in your mates 2018 36 and see if it fits yours in the process?

If it fits, you’re good to order

Take a look through the Fox tech site, they give part numbers and specs for all forks back to 2014 I think. It’ll give you some info and exploded diagrams. Not thread pitch though.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

There’s definitely variation in the thread on the top cap of the damper side of the crown as the Avalanche carts use different top caps for the 2011-2014 and 2015-2018 models.

That said I would just drop an Avvy cart in there and be done with it.

Dicky1080
    Free Member

Oh how I wish I had the money for an avalanche cartridge!!

Great article on bikeradar, thank you. Although it looks like they speak about re valving the old cartridge.

Good idea about borrowing a 2018 cartridge to try in my fork, I’ll put the feelers out to see if anyone round here has one!

Thank you all for your help

slickandslide
    Free Member

Where about are you in the UK? I have a 2016 RC2 you can try.

Dicky1080
    Free Member

@slickandslide what a legend, thank you so much! Unfortunately I live in Pucón in the south of Chile in South America!! (I used to live in Bristol)

How is the 2018 rc2 damper by the way?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New fox 36 damper in Old chassis’ is closed to new replies.