Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New cranks needed – PF30 that will accommodate a 28T chain ring
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

The bolt that allows me to remove my Raceface cranks has seized so the cranks needs to be replaced.

I’m looking for cranks that are compatible with PF30 Bottom Bracket that will also accommodate a 28T chain ring.

I’m struggling to find any other than Race face again.
    I don’t want to go with Raceface again.
    Most other compatible cranks don’t work with a 28T chain ring.
    I’ve got a 29er so need the lower chainring. 30T is high for a 29er.

Any suggestions ?

BearBack
    Free Member

FSA’s modular cranks will do 28t.

simondbarnes

I’d fit Shimano 8100 and a wheels manufacturing PF30-24mm bottom bracket.

mudfish

MAYBE DMR’s lovely AXE? (or even the less “bright” LE version)
    They have a plethora of BB options and, as its (SRAM) direct mount 298 will go fine I reckon. You can get one of those belting Absolute Black oval rings, lovely, you’ll not go back to round.
    yep:
    • The DMR Axe LE cranks must be fitted with a DMR Axe BB, which are available in 68/73mm or 83mm threaded, BB30, PF30 and BB92 formats
    • compatible ‘SRAM’ style direct mount ring or spider (-100g)

https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Components/Cranks/Axe-Crank-LE

mudfish

Or if you want a used SRAM XXI 175 crank PM me ;~}

Tracey

SRAM BB30 do. Thats what I was running before I went to 12 speed on my Enduro. Can also be run with GXP and Dub

Which has reminded me that I need to strip it and sell as its not getting any use

chakaping
    Free Member

I think FSA do a sleeve that converts your frame to threaded BB and 24mm axle.

Had one on my old enduro, was great. Super solid.

cb200
    Free Member

30t is high for a 29er?? Crumbs! I have 34t on mine.

Suppose it depends on what riding you do.

Anyway, an alternative could be to use 30t and a wider range cassette?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Awesummm

davros

If boost sram gx bb30 here

tdog
    Free Member

K Force Light Baaaabeeeeeeee!

😎

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@mudfish

What’s the availability of dmr’s (praxis) bottom brackets like?

I got the impression that the aftermarket bb’s had the 28 and 30mm cups on the ‘wrong’ sides?

h4muf
    Free Member

My 30t on my 29er is too low! Spin out on the road way too easy!!

oldnpastit

Garbaruk do a 28t chainring for Shimano M8100/M7100 (the new splined interface).

https://www.garbaruk.com/shimano-m7100-m8100-oval.html?category=4

mudfish

Hi greatbeard

What’s the availability of dmr’s (praxis) bottom brackets like?

I got the impression that the aftermarket bb’s had the 28 and 30mm cups on the ‘wrong’ sides?

not a problem AFAIK, you get them from DMR – a few others advertise them too.
    I got a spare BB to carry with on trips because you’re right the 28 and 30 are reversed from other manufacturers. I guess that’s because the non drive side crank is fixed to the axle, opposite to SRAM.
    non drive side bearing doesn’t last that long (to be a fair its wet and muddy where I ride, care needed with hose!) – I’ve decided to replace actual bearings rather than BB, which isn’t hard on the side I’ve done.
    (I will get blueseal 6806 bearings from now on, better seals are claimed and they are fully packed with Mobil “boat trailer axle grease” bought from Trailvision on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301260858556?ul_noapp=true), both sides are same size bearing, so, crank side is same actual bearing but sleeved to 28 – I’ve not yet tried extracting and reusing that sleeve.

It’s a good solid crankset for sure, I like the SRAM spline so I can use AsbsoluteBlack chainrings – and maybe LHS bearing life will be a lot better with the blueseal bearing and more care when cleaning.

Neil

mudfish

ps, I am using a threaded BB, apparently the push fit bearings are much better, bigger balls ;~}

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@mudfish

Ta:)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New cranks needed – PF30 that will accommodate a 28T chain ring’ is closed to new replies.