Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • New brake choices for a tubby gent.
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

I’m a lot lighter than you (75kg) but I wasn’t impressed with my DB5’s when I had them. They heated up fast and weren’t very consistent.

I went XT but lots of people I know rave about Saint and as big a rotor as you’d like…

celticdragon

But new brakes are so shiny!

Yes they are :mrgreen: and as I have the spare cash sitting in the bank…. but I am going to be going through other steps first. After all £250 is still a fair chunk of cash.

BoardinBob

managed to burn the rear rotor and boil the brake fluid. Which was quite scary. Rotor was still clicking loadly as it cooled on the way back up in the gondola.

I melted rotors in the alps. They looked like quavers. Completely warped. Dread to think how hot it was.

Hope & Uberbike floating rotors have been flawless in the alps on both my Saints and Guides

jamesoz

I’ve just replaced a set of Zees on my Aeris with Hope E4’s, quite surprised by the low weight.
    The Zee’s felt similar but I boiled them in traffic to the point of failure and the bite point hasn’t felt consistent on long descents since.
    If they were Hopes I would have replaced the seals and forgotten about it, lesson learned. Buy cheap buy twice.

I have a set of XT’s on another bike and they are consistent but consistently grabby.

I’m told Rotors with the Aluminium cooling doodads make the biggest difference.

jamesoz

Forgot to add, 100kg without kit But I only boiled my brakes when following a lighter rider.

pdV6
    Free Member

joebristol – Member
    Just to say the DB5 aren’t Guides with no adjustment as far as I’m aware – they have a 2 pot calliper instead of the beefier 4 pot on the Guides.

Fair point.
    I may have been mis-remembering a review that pointed out that the levers were the same minus tool-free adjustments.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Zee for sure.

Hopes won’t have the grunt

submarined
    Free Member

Have you tried any of the ‘proper’ Hopes?
    V4s are more than capable of detaching retinas.

letitreign
    Free Member

Magura MT7, these are meant to be a heavy duty brake set, we’ve got them on one of our bikes,(it’s an ebike btw)so there’s some weight to haul up, can’t comment yet on the wear and tear as they’ve not had enough abuse yet but so far there doing the job very nicely.

celticdragon

Thanks to all that replied, popped into the lbs today, and will very shortly be the owner of a set of Hopes.

Only thing to decide is colour options!!!

joebristol

Bling won the day!

I’m sure they’ll be great – back in the day I had several sets of hopes and they were reliable and strong. Mini minis I think and the brake before that with a big silver calliper and a brake lever with a dial on to adjust the distance the pads sit from the disc.

celticdragon

Ease of adjustability won the day, followed by bling! Lbs gave me a bike and told me to try setting them up to how I wanted, 30 seconds later I had! Couldn’t do that on the Srams due to the fiddly bite adjust. Strangely enough, I actually preferred the levers of the SRAM with no gloves and Hopes with gloves because of the holes.

Still trying to decide on red with black low lights or black with red highlights.

Db5’s will be put back on my 26er, after a thorough clean and bleed.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New brake choices for a tubby gent.’ is closed to new replies.