Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • New Bird Cycleworks Prototype 650b HT
  • orena45

Been following this company with interest on FB for a bit, anyone else?

They’ve just released pics and specs of their first hardtail, the Zero.2 – £1500 for complete bike with almost full XT, XFusion fork and Raceface kit. Doesn’t seem too bad.

(BTW I have no affiliation with them, just pleased to see their project get this far so far 🙂 )

qwerty
    Free Member

http://birdmtb.co.uk

Good luck to ’em 😀

… But, i can’t help but think of the comments…. “have you ridden your bird lately?” 😯

rOcKeTdOg

Ardent on the back? madness! 😯

andymc06
    Free Member

Looks great. Best of luck to them. I seem to remember reading that there are many different options on finishing kit (including tyres) that you can change FOC when you order.

benpinnick

Hey guys, thanks for checking out the new Bird, we’ll be releasing shots of the zero.1 and zero.3 this week hopefully. As andymc06 says you can switch tyres to almost anything 650b from Maxxis, Conti, Schwalbe and WTB ranges, some FOC, some with a small charge. Likewise you can also switch bars/stems/seatposts (reverb stealth or not), go 1×10, change between the AM and AMX wheels. Size changes are free, but moving up ranges (say Turbine to Next bars) has a small upcharge.

Thanks for your interest!
    Ben

winch
    Free Member

I like the look of that! I’m surprised this is the first I’ve heard of it. I must have my head in the sand.

Cheezpleez

Looks v nice. What’s it made of?

batman11
    Free Member

Yep that is a nice looking bike. Of to Facebook to press the like button 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The geometry table is the thing I’m interested in. It’d be great if you could stick it up on the website.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Looks like a Slackline x Sovereign to anyone else?

benpinnick

It’s 6061 T6 Alu. Geo isn’t set in stone yet, we have 3 small variants were testing at the moment, but what I can say is its a 67.5HA, fairly long front end and short rear triangle, well publish final geos on our FB page next week most likely.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Sounds like the perfect hardtail for me

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m all for a nice slack head angle and short chainstays, along with a fairly low BB. More like 66-7 degrees would be my preference but hey.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ardent on the back? madness!

And on the front – even madderer 😯

They’ve just released pics and specs of their first hardtail, the Zero.2 – £1500 for complete bike with almost full XT, XFusion fork and Raceface kit. Doesn’t seem too bad.

No it seems ok, but their website says £1650 😉

Love the layout and style of the website btw.

Northwind

Very cool to offer so much choice, good work!

orena45

Probably £1650 with the stealth Reverb. The FB post said £1500 as specced/shown. 😉

benpinnick

orena45 you’re correct, the £1650 version is with Stealth Reverb. It can be a bit confusing, but our commerce site which will launch with the bikes lets you pick a base model (frame/fork/groupset combo with our ‘recommended’ component choice) and tailor it from there. you get a base spec for £x (so 1500 for example for the one on our site) but you can change different components as you see fit, and the system recalculates cost and weight as you go. A bit like Dell’s site if you’ve used it. Some changes are free, some cost a little bit. Depends on what you go for.

getonyourbike – one of the options you can pick is a Cane Creek Angleset in any half degree increment from 66 through to 69 degrees, set for you from the factory. You’d only need to buy a new set of cups (from any CC dealer) if you changed your mind later.

All of the above customisation still fits in a 3 (working) day delivery window, or 5 days if you opt for tubeless (as we will leave the wheels 3 days to set in case of leaks).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I hope it all works out well for you because it sounds like a great package for an even better price and it’s something no one else does.

benpinnick

Thanks Getonyourbike. The new Neon colour is up on line now : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.180180352167523.1073741835.128246220694270&type=1&l=f4438c715a

and for anyone thats interested, heres the ‘real’ geometries; we’ll be publishing an easier to read version shortly but this is the real info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t14uyksdebz0p5/Mk2%20Hardtail%20geo%20sweep%20velvet.pdf

razorrazoo

Seen these in the flesh (or metal). They look fantastic.

Yetiman
    Free Member

That looks the business. Best of luck Ben. I’ve bookmarked your website.

If you need anyone to help out with final real world testing, I can offer my services on some decently gnarly hills in N.E Scotland, where I think this bike would excel. 😀

iolo
    Free Member

Is it just me who think it looks like a Dialled Alpine with a new paint job and some stickers?

orena45

The ‘cheaper’ Zero.3 SLX version (£1325) prototype was posted up on their FB page last night too. Looks good in neon yellow as well 🙂

razorrazoo

I think the brace between seatpost and top tube may make it looke a bit like the Dialled, bu they’ve put a lot of effort into sorting the geometry to take advantage of the 650b wheels.

iolo
    Free Member

So it’s a 650b Alpine?

benpinnick

Iolo there are some differences between the frames;

Geometry
    Materials and construction techniques
    Optimum fork length
    Axles
    Head tube standards
    Weight
    Price

Other than those though it’s the same

scottfitz
    Free Member

Iolo there are some differences between the frames;

Geometry
    Optimum fork length
    Axles
    Head tube standards
    Weight
    Price
    colour
    Seat tube size
    Full Build option

Other than those though it’s the same

Added a couple more.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m surprised you’ve got the nerve to call it a Dialled Alpine at all.

*shakes head in disgust*

iolo
    Free Member

Not a troll, I would just like to know.
    So how does the geometry of a 26″ Alpine compare to a 27.5″ cycleworks based on the same fork travel?
    Is it designed to be used on a different fork travel as the Alpine?

Geometry
    Optimum fork length
    Axles
    Head tube standards
    Weight
    Price
    colour
    Seat tube size
    Full Build option

Where is this information available?

atlaz
    Free Member

Well I’d imagine a lot of it is available on benpinnick’s computer for him to look at 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

This bike looks pretty interesting. I know of these guys and they ride quite close to me. Was saving the pennies for a Slackline 631, but if this comes out before winter, there’s a frame and forks option and it can take 26″ wheels without killing me then it’ll be a difficult choice!

Northwind

iolo – Member

Not a troll, I would just like to know.

Not trying to be funny, but if you would just like to know then you can ask; when you don’t know then “so it’s a dialled alpine then” is just plain out of line.

benpinnick

Fair enough question iolo. I’m just adding the final touches to the full spec sheets, but in the meantime here’s the geometry for you. It runs 130-150 very well, 160 at a push but we won’t be labeling it as such… It’s designed around a 140mm fork length, but of course each brands fork is different A2C so don’t take these numbers as gospel if you want a different fork from those listed. When we launch we will have HAL (Head Angle Lookup) on our site which will let you pick your fork and get an exact geo for that fork model, both static and sagged. HAL will also let you pick which anglecup you need to get your preferred geometry if you choose the Angleset option.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t14uyksdebz0p5/Mk2%20Hardtail%20geo%20sweep%20velvet.pdf

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks Ben. I’m really not trying to be awkward.
    That’s a nice looking bike.
    Good luck.

benpinnick

Curiousyellow – we can probably supply a velvet with the frame which will run 26 at 140 and 27.5 at 130 fine. On the back 26 isn’t an issue but as it’s 142/12 you’d need new wheels probably? So jumping straight to 140/27.5 would be the best option I guess. Unfortunately though frames won’t be available until late dec early Jan. the skackline is a great bike so a good choice if you can’t wait.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Sounds good. It’s for a winter single speed and I’ve got Hope hubs so conversion shouldn’t be a problem.

I can probably wait till December I reckon.

benpinnick

Cool, If you’re local to us and want a test ride, drop me a message on facebook.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

That Blue one looks gorgeous! Makes me want to ride a hardtail again.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘New Bird Cycleworks Prototype 650b HT’ is closed to new replies.