Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New bike – play in steerer
  • Futureboy77

Help! New bike arrived today. The bars were obviously turned inwards to allow it to fit in the box.

I loosened the stem bolts and top cap to straighten the bars. Tightened down the star fangled nut/stem top cap, then nipped up the stem bolts.

However, I’m still left with play in the steerer. I’ve tried loosening the stem bolts again and tightening the top cap bolt again and still no joy.

Am I an idiot? I can’t remember this with any other bike.

Tracey

Is the top cap clamping down onto the top of the steerer when it’s tightened.
    Add another spacer above the stem and retighten to see.

mashr

Check that there is a small gap between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem/spacer. If there isn’t a gap then you won’t be able to remove the play. Simple fix of just adding a small spacer. Annoying on a new bike though, I’ve had this myself a few years ago

breninbeener

That sounds like there are quite enough spacers on the steerer to allow the top cap to take up the slack. Its my guess a small extra spacer either above or below the stem will jet you tighten it up properly

Ian

Futureboy77

Definitely enough spacers on top. I added an extra as thought the same thing.

tomparkin

Is it deffo play in the headset area?

I believe centrelock rotors can introduce a bit of wobble. I’ve also had knocking feeling like a headset from tired wheel bearings, although that seems less likely in a new bike.

You can of course check that the top cap is preloading the bearings by doing it up a touch too much and checking it stiffens up the steering. Obviously treat lightly doing this as you don’t want to knacker the headset bearings!

bigyan
    Free Member

Might need to check the headset.

You occasionally get bikes with headset bits missing, upside down etc. A lot more assembly issues recently, should be caught during the shop PDI, but depends on the shop and mechanic.

jkomo

Is it a bung rather than a SFN, it might not be secure in the steerer.

mashr

Another option is a that it could need a really thin washer/spacer under any big conical washer that it might have (this was the actual problem I had)

tomnavman
    Free Member

Does it have one of those frame protector headsets (stop block I think they are called?)

They have a different method for tightening

mrdestructo

Half-open bearing headset? Like the FSA-57E? That one works, but can be a faff to setup as parts don’t play nice.

Sometimes you have to take the stem off, lift the front end of the bike up with two fingers under where the steerer is fitted into the crown, then jiggle all the headset parts into place at the top if its not 100% sealed bearing. There could be a rubber seal falling sideways into the half-open race bearings. Then, when it’s looking secure, put the stem back in place and start to tighten down bit by bit until you meet resistance. Lower the bike, apply the front brake, and tighten the star nut bolt bit by bit, rocking the bike back and forth until play goes. Don’t over-tighten.

5lab

Sids? Could be bushing play. Turn the bars 90° and rock forwards to eliminate play in the brake pad. A finger on the headset (half on the fork bit half on the bike bit) should feel play if it’s there

monkeyboyjc

Are you absolutely sure it’s the headset and not the brake pads? Are you rocking back and forth on the ground with the brake on, or in a stand?

weeksy

I flip mine upside down and do it by holding the fork legs. Seems easier to check and feel then.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Brake on, hold fork crown and rock the wheel with your hand. Should separate if it’s brake or steerer. Also can be coming from back of bike if you are rocking with brake on… check back wheel and also finger under TT and lift to check suspension.

I hate apparent headset knocking, it can come from so many places.

slowoldman

Is it a bung rather than a SFN, it might not be secure in the steerer.

My thought too. Bothered me when I first had a carbon steerer, didn’t quite know what to tighten.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Sounds like the bung inside the steerer isn’t totally tight when tightening top cap.
    Remove top cap and check it’s tight in steerer than re adjust.
    Got the same issue with my Cervelo road bike as well.
    Unfortunately bung is epoxied in on Cervelo so need to get some of that to get it stuck in!
    Max.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New bike – play in steerer’ is closed to new replies.