• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by poah.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • new bike day – I hate inner tubes
  • poah
    Free Member

Treated myself to a Ribble endurance Al with 105 groupset.

Took the tyre off to weight the front wheel/tyre/tube and gave the tube a snakebite when putting it back on grrrr.

Not had a chance to ride it. Comes with a lot of ribble own brand gear.

Level Stem 143g
    Level seat post 293g
    Level wheels front is 895g
    Continental Ultra Sport III Wire Bead 370g
    Tubes 95g
    Prologo Kappa RS saddle 293g

Whole bike is 9.65kg for a small which is 150g more than they spec for the medium so a bit annoyed at the inaccuracy there.

Lighter wheels coming tomorrow.

One potato picture for the time being.

sharkattack

Wow is this what roadies do on new bike day? Sounds like a chore.

superstu
    Free Member

Looks nice

ton

i can do shits that weigh 1lb and you are worried about 150 grams

get a life man………….. ;o)

nice bike

wheelsonfire1

No problem with inner tubes here! Were you using levers to refit? If so practice your technique, no levers..
    Nice bike though!

poah
    Free Member

i can do shits that weigh 1lb and you are worried about 150 grams

no I bought an alu bike over a carbon one. The weight of the bike isn’t an issue, the inaccuracy is.

Put another tube in and it was fine. Not had to put a tube in a tyre for god knows how many years and certainly not one as small as the road tyre.

mboy
    Free Member

The weight of the bike isn’t an issue, the inaccuracy is.

Every single component of that bike will have upper and lower weight tolerances given to them by the manufacturer. For some of them, it might only be 2-3%, for many, it’s more like 8-10%.

The fact your bike is only 150g (well, let’s call it 200g as the small size frame and slightly smaller components would add up to about a 50g weight saving from experience) over the (always very optimistic) quoted weight is actually pretty impressive I’d say! It’s within 1.5% tolerance anyway, which is far closer than any of the individual components will be measured to…

This is the feeblest “my bike is heavier than it should be” thread I think I’ve seen in a very long time on STW!

Lighter wheels coming tomorrow.

And as of tomorrow, your disappointment will no longer even be relevant anyway!

poah
    Free Member

New wheels are quite nice looking. 1595g Vel RL28 from sigmasports. £171 black Friday with an extra 10% off. Stock wheels level 1 are 2005g.

Got TAXC rollers coming tomorrow. operation get fit will be in full effect.

tthew

New wheels are quite nice looking. 1595g Vel RL28 from sigmasports.

So you decided against the light wheels then? 🤪

poah
    Free Member

@tthew Couldn’t find any lighter for the price I paid. I did look.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s got to be 150g of spacers under that stem.

thebunk

Is a lighter bike better for rollers then? Like the thing with the aeroplane on a treadmill?

Sweet bike too.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I don’t know which is more worrying… OP weighing the parts of his bike, or Ton weighing his shits:-0

didnthurt

Wait until you weigh the wheels and find out the measured weight is without valves and rim tape. I think you’re looking to be disappointed again.

poah
    Free Member

@thebunk

less effort to lift the bike onto the rollers

kerley
    Free Member

That is very heavy for an a road bike though isn’t it. I recently bought a steel frame and fork Cinelli Tutto plus and admittedly it doesn’t have gears but everything on it is cheap and heavy (only really wanted the frame and it was an insurance replacement bike).
    After building up some new wheels (which still are not light at 1860g) and swapping a few parts with stuff I already had it weighs about the same as your bike. And it feels like a tank compared to the 6.4kg bike it has replaced.

As for inner tubes, the original tyres/wheels couldn’t be tubeless so I tried some X Tubo tour tubes which apparently are pretty much puncture proof (only for 30-50c tyres though). 2 months later and so far so good and even though I now have tubeless rims and tyres I am still using the X Tubo tubes.

w00dster

That’s not a horrendous weight for a stock bike. Looks nice.
    My winter bike, carbon Trek Domane with 105, that was over 9kgs stock. About 8.5kgs now.
    My Planet X Tempest is supposedly 9.3kgs…. Will weigh it later with bottle cage and pedals. My money is on it being closer to 11kgs…I’m in the process of replacing the stock parts on the Tempest. Reckon I can get it down to just about the advertised weight and that’s with very light wheels, Zipp carbon bars, stem and seatpost.
    I do really enjoy the tempest, but riding it after my 7kg summer bike is a bit tough.

joebristol

That is a little heavy but it sounds like a lot of the weight is in the wheels and tyres.

I think my caad12 disc is about 8.4kgs with di2 Ultegra and Hunt 4seasons road wheels / GP4000s in 25c.

With the standard wheels it was probably a lot closer to 9kgs and the frame is only meant to weigh about 1150g (mine’s a medium).

13thfloormonk

What rollers have you ordered?

You might want to keep the stock wheels/tyres/tubes on for roller duties as you’ll be looking for ways to increase resistance! Heavier wheels/slower tyres/lower pressures can be a useful way to eke out some more resistance from a set of basic rollers.

munrobiker
    Free Member

For all the fuss about the weight and expense of new wheels, you could go much faster on the road if you hadn’t set the bar and stem up in the least aerodynamic position possible.

chakaping
    Free Member

That is very heavy for an a road bike though isn’t it.

I dunno.

I have a hi-mod carbon Boardman with tubeless carbon wheels & seatpost which weighs in at 8.2kg, with a comparable disc groupset.

The extra kilo-and-a-bit for stock wheels and alu frame seems reasonable.

I think disc brakes have just added a bit of weight to all road bikes.

13thfloormonk

you could go much faster on the road if you hadn’t set the bar and stem up in the least aerodynamic position possible

Aye, but you can’t buy a different shaped body. Speaking as a man who is apparently (according to his physio) quite flexible for a 39 year old male cyclist, I still have my bars reasonably high on my road bike, because that’s what shape I am, longer legs, shorter upper body.

So assuming the position of the bars is ‘fixed’ then you might as well focus on gains elsewhere, aero wheels, whatever.

edit:

I think disc brakes have just added a bit of weight to all road bikes.

Yep, 9-10kg seems par for the course now for bikes up to and including £2.5k it seems. I think Trek were pushing one of their Emondas (the endurance one) at over 10kg for £2200 (this was a year or two ago right enough, I just randomly remember that example).

TiRed

weighing his shits

doesn’t everyone go on the scales before and after a big job?

With the length of those shifters you must be able to save 50g on a shorter stem? Stick wheels are an easy 300g saving. Mine will be sub 8kg with a lighter fork and no mudguards. Some of those alloy steerer forks come out at 600g and another 300g can be lost with a full carbon upgrade.

Difference in frame size is seldom a big weight difference.

reeksy

Shifters … ok. I read shitters at first

tthew

With the length of those shifters…

It has to be said, Shimano Hydraulic brifters really are the most fugly component on any road bike.

stcolin
    Free Member

I have one of those, it’s a white/red colourway from 2019. Nice bike, fairly comfortable. The 105 groupset is still going strong after 3200 miles. Currently sporting some mudguards and Conti GT’s for a bit more protection in the winter.

poah
    Free Member

@stcolin Its the same frame and forks as far as I can tell. What mudguards you using? Doesn’t look like you get much clearance for tyres with MG on.

@TiRed
    Forks are full carbon.

@munrobiker
    Set up for comfort

@13thfloormonk
    Tacx Galaxia Advanced Roller Trainer from startfitness

poah
    Free Member

Got some new tyres. Goodyear F1 tubeless from probikekit. £67 for the pair. New saddle coming too as the one on the bike is painful. Really happy with the bike although my fitness is shocking.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.