Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New Bike Day (Hightower content)
  • timmys

Thought I would show off my new pride and joy.

Santa Cruz Hightower XL
    Based on the 27.5+ XX1 build (so 150 mm fork) with a few changes;
    Fox X2 shock
    XTR shifter and mech
    170 mm Reverb
    29″ Blue Flow Bikes 35 mm carbon rims on Hope Pro 4 hubs
    ( the standard 27.5+ wheels to be experimented with later)

Rides amazingly but not had much of a chance to play with it yet. Off to Wales for a proper testing week after next.

Build wise it’s a pity the orange Hope hubs don’t match better, the very clunky looking Burgtec stem will have go and the saddle will probably be swapped for my standard Scoop.

singlespeedstu

Nice bike Mr. 🙂

timmys

Nice bike Mr.

Great minds think alike 🙂

jmatlock
    Free Member

I rode a Hightower recently at a demo day at my local trail centre. It was a phenomenal bike. I couldn’t believe just how quick it felt, and how it held speed. I got 34/50 PBs on strava.

honourablegeorge

Think the sten is nice in a clean, funcriminal way.

forgotmename
    Free Member

very nice, +1 for keeping the stem. Looks like you are at chicksands?

singlespeedstu

I swapped my stem too.
    For the same but in 35mm length.

simonjj
    Free Member

Very nice, should get my Hightower frame this week, gone for an X2 aswell.

timmys

OK, looks like the jury is out on the stem.

Looks like you are at chicksands?

Yep!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That’s lovely , very nice indeed . What’s with the luminous rave bracelet around the seat tube?

timmys

What’s with the luminous rave bracelet around the seat tube?

Chicksands annual member pass thing.

forgotmename
    Free Member

ahhh, im pretty sure i have watched your bike being assembled over the last coupla weeks, at the very very good lbs brink cycleworks. its my lbs too, i also thought the burgtec stem looked a tad industrial, until i put one on my new bike, i like it a lot now tho.

timmys

That would be the one! In the brief time I was there a couple of people at Chicksands seemed to recognise it from the Brinks workshop!

I’ve ordered a Easton Haven stem but maybe I’ll come round to the Burgtec one – I seem to be in the minority!

Rosss
    Free Member

How tall are you if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve got my large frame here to build just wondering on sizing

timmys

How tall are you if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve got my large frame here to build just wondering on sizing

6’2″, so I’m at the smaller end of the XL height range, but I’m definitely glad I didn’t consider a Large. The XL does not feel large at all. The amount of standover is massive (hence the 170 mm Reverb), so it would be no problem sizing up.

honourablegeorge

The colour mismatch with the hubs would bug the hell out of me, especially with the pedals matching so nicely.

Rosss
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m 100% I made the right choice size wise now still unsure if I should have gone for the red though. You’re build makes the black look epic but I haven’t got the money for the bling.

Glad to hear they ride well. Excited now to build mine!

jmatlock
    Free Member

I had one for a couple of hours on trails I knew like the back of my hand. So I could really let it off the lead. It genuinely blew my mind how fast it felt.

core

Doesn’t look like a 29er, which in itself makes me think it won’t ride anything like a 29er of old. Proper nice.

wrecker
    Free Member

Lovely bike. Top tip for the stem; use grip paste!
    It doesn’t bite too well on its own.

stompweaver

Oh that’s lovely. 😀

I’m with you on the stem though, the Haven will look much nicer. When the time comes to replace my Enduro 29er it’ll have to be a Hightower.

mtbscoop
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike. Hoping to pick mine up tomorrow. Agree re stem, I swapped it out for a Hope stem. I’ve also gone for an XL (but in Red) and I’m 6ft1, and large felt way to small.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 11 and the large felt perfect.

Its a proper cliche’ but the suspension really did feel bottomless.

I was taking some wild lines and down right liberties and it just ate it up.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

looks good, keep the stem, shame the orange hubs don’t match a little better, but still with some mud on them you wont notice as much 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Day (Hightower content)’ is closed to new replies.