Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New bike day
  • kimbers

My new process 153 , 29

Picked it up this morning but wifes gone away for 2 days so I can’t test it until she gets back, as it’s daddy daycare.

Anyway seems nice, reach feels spot on, impressively low at the front compared to my 2015 process or 29er unit with 100mm forks.

needed a bit of air to get seatposy returning right, tyre clearance with i29 rims and 2.3 minion , looks ok rather than great.
    Weightwise, can’t find my luggage scales but it’s hefty !

Anyway now the kids are in bed gonna tubeless the tyres

woodster

Nice reflectors!

Looks great, interested to hear some thoughts when you get to ride it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice Lamborghini.

superstu
    Free Member

What size frame is that? Standover is massive!!

Like the look of it. I like Konas but their specs always have the odd cheap bit in so you could probably save fair amounts of weight without too much expense.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Nice looking bike that. It’s those reflectors adding the weight.

kimbers

Reflectors now gone, nx drivetrain is definitely a bit porky, so reckon I can save a bit of weight, got some hopes to swap out for the SRAM level TS, which also a heavy, Tuesday afternoon for maiden voyage!

I tyre down, 1 to go

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Nice ride, looks better in person than those studio photos. Please keep posted with how it rides, it doesn’t seem too dissimilar from the enduro on paper.

kimbers

Big up wtb rims and maxxis tyres, the wheels were already taped and they supplied valves, went up with a track pump alone on about 5 mins a wheel!

Another 30 hours of a stroking it until I can go for a ride!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Another 30 hours of a stroking it

Well seeing the wife is away you dirty bugger..

kimbers

Found the scales 16kg/ 35.2lbs !

Reflectors removed, with pedals, & setup tubeless

JackHammer

OUCH! Which one is it? My work pc is blocking the pictures for some reason.

Love my 2014 153, but the pricing on the new ones is shocking?! Have to get a second job to pay for it I reckon.

russyh
    Free Member

Found the scales 16kg/ 35.2lbs !

Sweet Jesus really? Shes got some rump in the trunk then!

kimbers

This is the 153 AL 29er

Walton st cycles offer 10% discount for Aston hill members, which makes it easier on the wallet a bit!

Reckon a lot of that’s in the wheels, they are heavy!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Very nice Kimbers!.

b45her
    Free Member

nice, i have to wait till mid feb for my 29er to arrive, not a kona but a rallon so similar.

thepodge
    Free Member

Nice but disappointing weight, my 2013 Kana Satori weighs 2.1lbs less.

I’m no weight weenie but I’d expect an improvement over 5 years for a roughly comparable bike.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Looks proper nice!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just wait until Fred sees what you’ve done with his van.

joebristol

That’s properly heavy – I hope it pedals well to make up for it!

That said my Aeris is somewhere around 32lbs with not very light components and I’m faster on most stuff up or down than my previous FS that weighed about 29lbs. It’s only long draggy fireroads / the road that I’m slower on.

takisawa2

I bet those two keep you on your toes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice colour-matching with the toy truck on the side.

Weight is a bit of an eye opener. I think you’re right to focus on the wheels, cassette & brakes.

Do you have a carbon handlebar to switch in? is the chainset really heavy too?

kimbers

Well got a brief ride in this afternoon when the wife came in to relieve me.

After that took the bike to Woburn and tried it out. 😆
    (This is all compared to my 2014 Process 153 with carbon wheels & steel 29er hardtail, both weigh 14kg ish)
    -Conditions were drifty to sloppy in places-
    First of all its silent, completely silent, almost a bit weird, anyway it climbs much better than the old process, but it’s 2kg heavier and even if it bobs less, feel it in my calves now. The weight is defo in the rear,wheels the huge rocker & rear end are massive.
    Still got a couple of pbs on the climbs.
    Rode thru plenty of mud without the rear clogging but still not much room there.

Descending was very impressive, more grip, extras mass means that it takes a bit more input to move it around, but still flickable. yari was very stiff but not as smooth as my luftkappe pike, rear suspension was great considering my avalanched dhx air was so nice. Still need to play around with suspension settings, but luftkappe is on the cards.

But fwiw Strava tells me I got a lot of PBs

and conditions weren’t great.
    It felt like how I imagine a modern DH bike feels, very planted and lots of fun.

Other stuff, brand new drivetrain was obviously smooth as, SRAM level t brakes weren’t too bad but a couple of inconsistent moments, might just have been bedding in, but only on short runs, my hopes going on when I get a longer hose & matchmaker adaptor.
    Draggy dhf on the rear will be going, 2.5 on the front would be better, saddle narrow, grips very comfy. 150 transx dropper great so far.

Overall it’s a beast, felt faster and more pinned, but need to get the suspension sorted and loose some weight.
    I’ll be selling my old process and getting some lighter bits for this asap!

This is my favourite tree

takisawa2 – Member
    I bet those two keep you on your toes

You have no idea, heard my daughter singing to the radio came in from the kitchen to realise I hadn’t tipped the chair over and they’d got onto the table, she was dancing happily. . Respect to my wife, been great just me n the kids but glad she’s back !

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Nice bike, but I have placemat envy.

kimbers

Nice bike, but I have placemat envy.

Poundworld !
    They also had Vader & Stormtrooper ones

pop-larkin
    Free Member

How much were they?

kimbers

Update!

been a lazy few months so not ridden as much as I should (my waisteline knows it)

now done a bit of everything on it

swapped a few bits, Hope brakes in level ts out (big bike + portly rider + steep stuff = overheating), lighter bars & saddle and 11-42 nx cassette for 11-46 shimano, knocked 1/2 kg off.

Anyway its all good, climbs very well, steep SA keeps pedaling easy & stops for lifting even on really steep stuff. rear lockout useful.
    compared to my G1 process just generally a better peddaler, but those wheels are heavy 2.4kg! do take a moment to get spinning, very noticeable coming from carbons.

Yari has a luftkappe, 1 token, much less rebound and its pretty good, tracks really well, still not as controlled as Pikes with a luftkappe

Went to Pontypool yesterday and blew away my Xmas cobwebs, some brilliant riding there!
    on the really steep stuff it took a while to get the hang, longer reach almost feels shorter due to steep SA, so I dont need to be off the back as much as Im used to, its taking me a while to get used to this, but more central in the bike now, better balanced.
    It feels more on than in the bike (comapred to my G1), even though it grips better and is more stable on loose off-camber stuff for example, which has taken some readjusting.

Mud clearance is tight, but not had any blockages yet even on very muddy claggy rides.

still want lighter wheels!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New bike day’ is closed to new replies.