Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New bike – Cotic Rocket. Initial impressions.
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Got a new bike 3 weeks ago to replace a much-loved but tired Orange 5.  Can’t get pictures to embed so the picture of it is here.

I’d already demo’d it back in March up at Cotic HQ in the middle of the snowmageddon and was suitably impressed.  Hd a few rides on it now and it’s still impressing.  The fit is spot-on, not between sizes as I usually am, so it’s really confidence-inspiring everywhere.  Drops, jumps, steep descents etc feel so much easier than on the old bike.  The thing is just so balanced it’s unreal.  Still getting used to the steering geometry but when I turn the bars just right it just grips and fires itself round corners like nothing else I’ve ridden, such a good feeling!  Climbs well too considering it’s a 160mm. burly-specced steel Enduro bike.

It’s not perfect though.  The weight is a bit of an issue when carrying it over stiles or loading it onto the bike rack.  It’s carrying 2-3 lbs more than the equivalent Bird Aeris or Cannondale Jekyll and you notice it picking it up but you don’t notice it while riding.  If anything it’s helping it feel so stable as the weight is low down and central.  I can lose a bit by swapping the rear tyre put for something lighter (it’s 1300g!) and a swap to some lighter bars and stem should get rid of 1 lb, that should help.  But comparing a steel framed bike to alloy and carbon ones is not going to be great anyway.  It feel much more nimble than the Aeris I demo’d and much more stable than the Jekyll so I’d rather that than it be a big dump lighter.

The other issue, which is small, is the length.  It barely fits on the bike rack!  Admittedly that’s not the fault of the bike but it’s something I didn’t even think about so I’ll have to make some wheel tray extensions soon.

Just got to get the rear shock exactly how I like it, it’s a bit too linear for my liking, and it’ll be ready for a load of adventures.  All this hype about Cotic’s love of steel and the new Longshot geometry is justified in my experience.

bungalistic
    Free Member

You’d be surprised at how much similar bikes weigh be they alloy or carbon, though the wtb tyres are very weighty so yes that would drop weight. Any idea what yours does weigh?

I recently rode & tested a new Bird Aeris (nice bike) but it wasn’t as light as I would have expected it was nearly 32lbs even with a decent build kit on it. And my old Airdrop Edit v1 was 32lb too, both bikes were fun to ride and made your shoulders ache on hike a bike rides.

whitestone
    Free Member

Within reason a bike’s weight isn’t that important so a kg or so difference is going to be almost unnoticeable. Heavy/light tyres will feel different especially when accelerating or changing direction.

I’ve not ridden any of the FS Cotics but the Mk1 Solaris just felt right the moment I got on one – I only rode it for a couple of minutes around the car park of Dales Bike Centre then promptly ordered one! Four years down the line it’s still massive fun. If Cy has got the FS bikes as sorted as his hardtails as most reports seem to suggest (I can’t recall anyone who’s ridden one saying otherwise) then he’s on a winner.

cooie

Looks great Milky 🙂

Third ride on my Rocket Max last night and it just keeps feeling better. The first bike in a while that just felt right from the off, and makes me want to get out more.  😀  Mine actually weighs slightly less than my previous Mega 290, and about the same as my Bigwig hardtail!!

milky1980
    Free Member

It’s coming up as 34lbs on my cheap luggage scales where the old 5 was 31lbs.  I don’t focus on weight usually as it’s amazing how some bikes can hide excess very well but was interested in how my perception talked with reality.  Yes those WTB tyres are weighty, the light casing options are heavier then an EXO Maxxis!  They’re bloody good grip wise though so I’ll wear them out first, putting a Trail Boss 2.4 light fast rolling on the back though for general use and I’ll keep the original Convict for uplift days.

I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about a Cotic either!

cookie, feel the same about mine.  Just puts a massive grin on my face.

tish
    Free Member

I’ve got the new FlareMAX and have similar findings. I’m running it with plus tyres and the suspension pretty plush as I’m recovering from two injured wrists. When I first built it up I thought it weighed a ton, compared to the mojo I was coming from, but as you say, you only feel it when you are lifting it over things. When riding it just feels so balanced at whatever it is doing, I’m quicker on the climbs than my mojo and the grip on the plus tyres was an eye opener (first plus tyre bike I’ve had), and it descends great although I’m not at full speed yet. My intention was to use it till my wrists were sorted but I’m really getting on with it and I can’t see me getting rid any time soon, although I am keen to try it on 29″ wheels. I think I used to get a bit caught up on weight, no idea what mine actually weighs though.

roverpig

Great looking bike. With the FlareMax I found that counter-steering really helped. It may just be psychological but as soon as I thought about turning the bars the wrong way to set up for the corner it just felt better.

Mine is coming in at 32lb on my scales, but no idea how accurate they are. Interestingly my old five also weighed 31lb on the same scales though. I’ve been riding a 29lb bike over winter and I do notice the extra weight of the cotic when I get it out if the shed and put it on the roof rack, but not when I’m riding it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My Banshee Prime is alu and nearly 34lbs. Which is about 1.5lbs heavier than its predecessor. My mates HD4 is nearly 30lbs and two sizes smaller.

Very much in the ball park IMO.

colournoise

My Rocket’s not a Longshot or a Max (although it’s heading in both those directions with some frankenbike mods), but I agree about the riding lighter thing. My bike is pretty much dead on 14kg and that’s the same weight as my previous Alpine 160, but the Rocket climbs and changes direction so much better than the Orange did. It really rewards rider input too – the Alpine I was often just a passenger on, but I have to actually ‘ride’ the Rocket and I much prefer that active feeling (guess that’s what Cotic describe as pop).

Hanky

My new FlareMax is heavy compared to my normal short travel carbon XC bike, but definitely agree with the above that it doesn’t ride heavy – it’s probably around the same as my old 26″ Mega. My first plus bike too, but about to put some carbon 29er rims on it so will be interesting to see the difference in feel and weight.

I’m also getting stronger lifting it in & out of the car 🙂

cooie

Mine’s a shade under 32lbs in 29er guise😀

juan
    Free Member

ok but anyone did actually weighted the frame + shock?

I know finale bikes are built dependant but surely they should depend as weel on the frame weight.

No info on the cotic website.

Cheers

MadBillMcMad

Never owned a Cotic but I would if I could. They all just look stunning.

As for chatter about weight  I used to ride an ICT and can most definitely agree that the only time you really notice it is when you heft it over a gate.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New bike – Cotic Rocket. Initial impressions.’ is closed to new replies.