Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New bike – Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • tizzzzle
    Free Member

New bike arrived 2 weeks ago direct from Deutschland (after a 3 month wait) Added Superstar nano tech pedals, German ebay dropper post (with custom ‘road inner tube’ boot, Raceface FR Stealth bars, NC17 grips, Hope seatpost clamp and Nukeproof saddle. Great fun on the downs of Surrey Hills and Swinley so far and surprisingly good back up again. Loving it!

chakaping
    Free Member

That looks way better thsn they do on the website.

I am going to pretend i didn’t see that fireplace though.

Simon

What’s the verdict on the dropper post?

skywalker
    Free Member

Not bad in a Tesco value kind of way.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Simon – good so far, but I’ve only used it on 4 rides. Takes a while to get it set up but once I sorted the cable tension it has worked without a problem. I wouldn’t ride without one now – £75 delivered seems right, no way would I be spending £200 on a Reverb etc. There is a bit of play side to side but not noticeable once you are riding. My main problem was the cable routing, now sorted via super strong velcro!

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Some of us don’t have limitless funds to spend on our hobbies, but thanks for the feedback!

skywalker
    Free Member

I was only joking, its nice. Hope you enjoy it.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Thanks mate – enjoying it so far 😀

jambon
    Free Member

Link to the droppy post please!

widge34
    Free Member

You won’t find a better specced bike for the price. If I had £1500 to £2000 to spend Canyon would be my first port of call, unless I could find a great deal on a Lapierre.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Dropper post

Price has gone up from 3 weeks ago. You’ll probably need a shim too as they are 27.2mm.

londonpride
    Free Member

whats the 150 for like in Surrey hills? Debating this or XC. Wondering of the fork is too long and lose feel for trail. I’ve only ever ridden 100 up front and 120 back so no idea what it will be like. What did you ride before? So tempted to get one and keep going back and forth in mind between this and the xc

tizzzzle
    Free Member

150mm is fine – probably overkill for Surrey but I have bigger trips planned! The Talas can be set at 120mm, same as my Cube LTD hardtail or completely locked out for going upwards. The rear shock also has pro-pedal so it is a proper do-it-all bike. I was going to get the XC but for the slightly lighter weight I couldn’t see the point, the AM climbs so well that I’m not finding it much different to my HT – just a lot more fun downwards!

ska-49
    Free Member

I saw one in the flesh today on the Bisso trail. Looks great!
    Just wondering what size you went for and your height? Its got potential for my new rig..

tizzzzle
    Free Member

5.8″ – got the small (16.5″) with a 50mm stem. Perfect. I reckon it is big enough for up to 5.10″ but obviously it’s each to their own. My Cube is a 16″ small and the Canyon wheelbase is quite a lot bigger, but they are both spot on for me in terms of cockpit length and standover.

londonpride
    Free Member

Cheers for reply tizzzzle. Looks awesome. Sprint well and good feel on the flat too? Thinking I must get one these soon. Thinking surrey hills, Welsh Trail centres and a bit of alps action in summer…

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Yep – Goes very well on the flat after changing the stock tyres; HUGE 2.4 Fat Alberts and Nobby Nics were the one thing I couldn’t get on with on my first ride(the Germans seem to love em tho – I had Schwalbes on my Cube to begin with too). Now rolling on on 2.35 Minions and the difference is amazing.

Crell
    Free Member

Very nice. Like the green, and as above that looks a lot better in the metal than on their site.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Hey tizzzle, v nice, I went for same green, looks great in the flesh. I’ve left my 2.4s on, but you’ve gut me thinking now, I have a set of old minions from my old bike so think I’ll have give it a go now.

tazzymtb

nice looking bike, the main thing is you enjoy riding it

don’t usually like green bikes, but that goes really well

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’m chuffed with it so far and pleased I took the plunge. Its a fair amount to spend on something you can’t even see in the flesh first!
    Spudly – try the minions, made a big difference to me yesterday.

Toasty

I’ve been very tempted by that exact bike 🙂 Either one of those or a 2012 Stumpy FSR I think, I think the Canyon might be a bit too beefy for my needs but it does seem like a bargain.

The 2012 colour schemes look much better than last years!

honourablegeorge

skywalker – Member

What a horribly sneery comment to make.

matthew2456
    Free Member

Is there no Kashima coating?

Toasty

skywalker – Member

You know you were considering a Blur LT Carbon? Probably worth mentioning that:

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-blur-lt-carbon–frame-2012/7612
    +
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2568

Would be £1000 cheaper than:

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-blur-lt-carbon-xtr-am–bike-2012/8669

After selling the Canyon frame you’d be £1500 better off, with a better wheelset too. In a Tesco Value sort of way though right? 😛

Edit: See, I say that, yet this is why Canyon also baffles me. How do they manage to still weigh 27.5lbs with crazy light wheels, full XTR and carbon everything?

skywalker
    Free Member

What a horribly sneery comment to make.

I forgot you are only allowed to slag off Orange Fives, sorry.

You know you were considering a Blur LT Carbon? Probably worth mentioning that:

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-blur-lt-carbon–frame-2012/7612
    +
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2568

Would be £1000 cheaper than:

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-blur-lt-carbon-xtr-am–bike-2012/8669

After selling the Canyon frame you’d be £1500 better off, with a better wheelset too. In a Tesco Value sort of way though right?

I would except I have all the parts. Good plan though if you had a spare £5500.

granny_ring

LOL @ Toasty, it’s not monopoly. 🙂

Toasty

Just pointing out they’re good value, full XTR groupset + carbon everything + expensive Trigon wheelset is a bargain for £3k 🙂

focuswrecker
    Free Member

Nice bike, I’m about to order one myself but pay the £160 for the Rock Shox Reverb, seems a fair price. Thought about the AM 9 but is it really worth an extra £600. Think I will have to get rid of the Magura’s though and change for a set of Shimano Brakes. Same price but much better.

robhenry85
    Free Member

this thread made me take a good look at the canyons!

i bought an 8x soon after 😉

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

It’s green,yuk.

carlphillips
    Free Member

for christ sake forget the bike there are visible cables going around the fireplace!!! come on STW this thread is 4months old shame on you!!!
    nice bike though 😉

Painey
    Free Member

Got one of these recently but went for the 9.0X. Fantastic bike with an incredible spec. Have to say that bike looks great in that colour scheme.

Only problem I’ve had with mine is a strange effect on the paint on the top tube. Towards the rear of the black area on yours in the picture, the paint has gone like snakeskin and feels all rough. Credit to Canyon as they’re collecting the frame and replacing it FOC.

donoghf
    Free Member

Picked up an AM 7.0, and added the dropper at a cost of £150 extra.
    Im more of a Shimano man, and fancied the Magura brakes, so decided to save myself a few quid with the 7 instead of the 8.
    Astounding bike for the money. XT running gear with Talas forks, and a good set of all mountain DT swiss wheels.
    Bike was perfectly set up and delivered a week ahead of schedule.
    Ive been out quite a few times now, and have the size of it.
    It handles superbly well at high speed descents, and climbs quite well too.
    The tyres supplied are massive, which makes climbing a bit more difficult, but the bigger footprint allows you to run at a slightly higher pressure without losing too much grip on the way back down.

Overall an imense machine, ideal for hard descending, but very easy to live with on longer days in the saddle. You’ll not get better value for money

clivef
    Free Member

have today cancelled my order for a nerve am 7.
    ordered the bike as showed available immediatly, have had 3 emails ignored by the uk office and 1 phone call, (normally cant get through at all as recorded messages says machine full). finally had enough so spoke with germany direct who inform me that my ordered bike is “somewhere” on the production line and we may be able to let you know next week when it might leave..
    sorry canyon the experiance has put me off dealing direct with a supplier, back to a face in a showroom for me from now on..

NOT IMPRESSED ONE BIT

turtleheading
    Free Member

Sucks,

Order my Nerve 7.0 AM, shipped within 6days, arived within 10. Can’t fault Canyon. Only thing is they didnt ship cable ties for the reverb seatpost as it was an optional upgrade, but they are being shipped as we speak. Been hucking the last 3 days and its amazing!
    Only grip is that it needs a chain device, maybe and maybe a 2×10 would have been better. Other than that is perfect for what I want!

Hope you find something as good…

dantsw13

If you expect showroom service, pay showroom prices.

If you want the cheapest deal available, suck up the service issues

Simples.

You wouldn’t expect John Lewis service levels in Primark, would you?

clivef
    Free Member

If you expect showroom service, pay showroom prices.

If you want the cheapest deal available, suck up the service issues

Simples.

You wouldn’t expect John Lewis service levels in Primark, would you?

£1600+ is hardly primark levels, was supposed to be a key benefit to dealing direct

elliptic
    Free Member

Friend of mine ordered her Nerve AM 8 at the weekend.

Shipped on Tuesday, arrived yesterday (Thursday).

Can’t fault that. She’s undoubtedly out playing on it in the sunshine at this very moment…

dantsw13

In MTB terms it is though.

If that £1600 bike was made by Trek to that spec it would cost twice the price. The price difference is cutting out layers of people/ stock levels. It is annoying, but that’s what you pay for.

I work for BA – people fly Ryanair, then complain about service when things go wrong. Ryanairs planes are as new as/newer than BA’s but their staffing levels Behind the scenes are very low. People cost money. Customer service costs money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New bike – Canyon Nerve AM 7.0’ is closed to new replies.