Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • New bike build – with a difference. Metalworking content
  • flashes
    Free Member

Drat, clever people, and there I was condratulating myself for changing the stem and bars on the road bike…………

mick_r

OK another quick update.

Much chopping of metal and melting of brass. Seatstays bent, tacked, mitred and now (clumsily) attached.

Shiny new tyre courtesy of Schwalbe – it was just thrown on to check clearances so yes I know it is backwards and logos not aligned with valve….

I must apologise that this bike is getting uglier as the build progresses – I particularly hate the join between the dropouts and seatstays 🙁 But I guess shouldn’t forget that this is being built f.o.c. and to a rapidly approaching deadline. Cable guides for rear brake also now stuck in place with silver solder.

All brazing done, just got more work with files and reamers tomorrow night and then get it to powder coaters on tuesday for some RAL4004 (phew).

Finished mass is 5.8 lbs – not too bad considering the main tube is more closely related to exhaust pipe than Reynolds 853.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mick_r

Looks like complete quality to me

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Awesome, I like the Dialled Alpine inspired seat tube brace and integrated seat clamp.

mick_r

You can’t see the detail at the dropout or what they look like before 30 mins with dremel and files……

I guess one part of this build was to give me some extra practice – I wanted to refine my brazing a bit to need less file work / cleanup (and it seemed a more worthwhile use of brass and steel to make another bike rather than just throw dummy joints in the scrap).

I’ve just found the seatstays a real struggle on everything I’ve built. The top tends to leave some very localised distortion in the seat tube which needs to be reamed out leaving the tube rather thin – I know I should start using an additional external sleeve or heavily butted seat tube to stop this.

And I find it hard to join large dia stays (these are 19mm) to regular dropouts (esp getting enough heat into the thick dropout without toasting the slotted tube). Next bike will have plate dropouts bent 45 degrees to join the stays in a simple mitre (like on some ti / ali frames). I can also then heat from the back of dropout so the tube is the last bit to get warm.

I guess from these ramblings you can tell it was a frustrating morning 🙂

If Andrew can get rad enough to break it then I think we’ll all be really happy!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mick – there aint no deadlines – honestly. Andrew’s got photos of where things are at and I think is a bit humbled at your efforts so far.

If it’s done in the new year – or his birthday – or even if its not finished at all – that’s still 100 times better than where he was a month ago.

Anyways – mailed you for a chat.

martinxyz
    Free Member

That puts the raw in Braw.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thats Brilliant , cant wait to see the finished model.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So – an update. Got these photos from Mick today. God I’m like a kid at Christmas now. And it’s not even my bike!

Also a major thanks to Magura – we’re getting some dogs danglies brakes from them. Fantastic.

#Edit – and a major – no mega – thanks to Mark at http://www.superiorpowdercoatings.co.uk who did the powder coating for free!

Hopefully arrives in Edinburgh Wednesday, gets built up, drive / ferry to nephews – on Thursday night / Friday (gets a mince pie), sleeps Saturday.

Markie
    Free Member

Sweetness.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Totally amazing..

“virtual claps”

mick_r

Update time again. Nearly there…..

It has been a rather good day for the balance bike.

First an email from Chipps – the nice people at MAGURA will find us a set of HS33 hydraulic rim brakes! These are perfect as they offer plenty of power with very little lever effort, and the lever can also be adjusted nice and close to the bars.

Then shortly after Mark Smith (also an mtber it turns out) at SUPERIOR POWDER COATINGS calls to say the frame is ready. They’ve done a top job with a gentle blast clean (much smoother finish than the grit blast we have at work), phosphate, zinc prime and then gloss powder finish. All done in 2 days free of charge! The guys in the paint shop even took the trouble to take photos so we can keep up the record of the build story. So if you are near Leyland and want a bike friendly service at a reasonable price please consider them.

http://www.superiorpowdercoatings.co.uk/

I’ve taken a few pictures tonight – its a really nice claret / purple colour – a cheap camera and artificial light don’t do it justice. More photos of the paint process and built up bike to follow over the next couple of days. All ready for shipment on Monday!

mick_r

Spooky – we must have both been posting updates at the same time!

All bits cleaned up and ready for build (not that it needs many parts)- I hoped I might have escaped a headtube ream (I faced it up in a lathe before brazing and no heat near the ends of the tube). However the cups are a bit tight so need to pay Craig a quick visit at Ride On in Rawtenstall who has already offered to do it foc. So another plug for nice people:-

http://www.rideon.co.uk

rp16v
    Free Member

really is a superb donation list so far amazing what someone can do with some tubes and some tools

wouldent mind one myself with some foot pegs mounted on the rear lower fork stays just back from the seat tube would make a great shop run bike
    keep up the great work.

bol

Bloody brilliant.

cr500dom
    Free Member

This is Fantastic !!
    Big respect to all involved, cant wait to see the “Big Smiley Face” pics too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wow – great stuff folks. Looks great

Speshpaul

I’ve had some bad news at work, generally feeling a bit poo. So a quick re-read and update of this thread was call for..

OUTSTANDING WORK CHAPS.

Is there anything else you need?

newbey
    Free Member

Just WOW.

This really brings a warm fuzziness to my insides, well done to all involved, and thanks for posting up photos of the ongoing build.

Fantastic.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Fantastic!

M6TTF
    Free Member

cant wait to see the finished bike

giantonagiant

Every now and again STW produces something of this level of AWSUMNESS and I remember why I keep coming back!

Really heart warming stuff, thanks for sharing and a big pat on the back to all involved. Just brilliant.

nols
    Free Member

this thread is awesome

hora
    Free Member

Wow. I am speechless.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

**APPLAUSE**

Fantastic effort. Really, really superb!

And I love the colour too!

😀

fatboyjon

Awesome fellas. Any bits and pieces still needed?

cupra
    Free Member

Top work, ace colour and restores my faith in humans.
    We are not worthy

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. The kindness of strangers is pretty amazing at times!

I genuinely am excited about seeing it in the flesh now!

I was thinking of getting some decals made for it – I dont know if it would be done before Christmas – maybe I can add them later.

So – any ideas for a name? I was thinking the obvious: “Rushton” or as martinxyz above said “Braw”.

This really brings a warm fuzziness to my insides,

Are you sure that wasnt the mulled wine?

Is there anything else you need?

Thanks SpeshPaul – I dont think so. But the last time I said that – turned out we did.

edd

Wow, fantastic! Good work everyone who’s involved in this.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

looks great!

iwatajim
    Free Member

Totally heart-warming thread!

I think you’ve nailed the name yourself. The “Rushton Braw”!!! Manufacturer and model.

Thanks for sharing this.

edit-or the Fan-Dabi-Dozi!

newbey
    Free Member

Are you sure that wasnt the mulled wine?

There’s a good chance, but that doesn’t sound as nice.

Again, nice work.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

top work 😀 😀

AlexSimon

Fantastic stuff. I can remember being quite good at brazing. If only I’d done any in the last 20 years!

Looking forward to see the next instalment!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Top work by all involved. Really looking looking forward too seeing the fully completed build.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Any more suggestions for a name?

Also does anyone know a place to get some decals done inside a week – I can design it?

Albanach
    Free Member

A quick forum search gives Slik Graphics as a potential supplier but they have been noted previously for slow contact…excellent thread BTW looking forward to seeing the completed build!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks Albanach – I came across them too but the “slow” bit puts me off.

Gary_C

Slik Graphics ?? They make a sloth look like Usain Bolt…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Slik Graphics ?? They make a sloth look like Usain Bolt…

That’s made me chuckle!

Any speedier suppliers or any ideas folks?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘New bike build – with a difference. Metalworking content’ is closed to new replies.