Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • New Bike arriving Thurs, what justifications have you given to the family before
  • Jase
    Free Member

Haven’t mentioned it yet, not planning too either.

When I get the inevitable call at work to say a large box has arrived should I:

a) just MTFU and say “the pedals will arrive on Friday so don’t go out”
    b) its not a bike but a decorators table ready to tackle the lounge
    c) I won it in a competition
    d) Something else

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

what did you get?

scaredypants

can you(r family) afford it ?

wors

If it doesn’t take the food out of peoples mouths, then it’s no business of anybody else.

wors

BoardinBob

just MTFU and say “the pedals will arrive on Friday so don’t go out”

😆

Frankers
    Free Member

Last Mrs Frankers used to kick off if I bought a new pair of shorts let alone a bike…..

New Mrs Frankers is different, i just tell her what i’m buying (bikes only, not clothes or parts) before it turns up at the house and she’s cool with it.

Depends on your Missus…. but ‘a’ sounds favourable to me

bullroar
    Free Member

As you don’t seem to have prepared the ground you only have option 1). It may cost you more than you imagine so I hope you have allow for a peace offering in your budget. My new P7 doubled in price post purchase!!

ampthill

I think we need to know more about the finances in your family before we make a judgement……

oldgit
    Free Member

What have you bought?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

chap i know owns a bike shop selling some very high end kit, and he has on occasion written to certain ‘loyal’ customers with the fantastic news that they’ve won a bike.

crazymoon
    Free Member

i just told my wife that the bike i had needed too much spending on it so i’d be better buying a new one, she made me flog the old one though.

i’d go with ‘a’

Liftman

The writing or drawing on the sides of the box will usually negate option B

Option A could cost you dear

Take option D and explain it was a bargin, dont tell her the actual cost, women and normal people dont undersatnd spending more than £100 on a push bike let alone a couple of k.

Jase
    Free Member

I like the idea around the bike it will be replacing needs £££ spent on it.

It’s a cx bike and didn’t cost that much but it will be more about the fact its another bike than the actual cost.

Jase
    Free Member

Oh, prob can just about afford it, but not what she’ll want in return: New coat/kitchen/dog (pick 2!)

Woody
    Free Member

Not relevant now but in the past I’ve used :-

Bad back, need full suspension
    Back better now, need hard tail to save money on maintenance
    Need singlespeed will save money on maintenance
    Wrong size, hurting neck
    Still wrong size, neck hurting more
    It’s a warranty replacement
    I’ve just had it resprayed

maxray
    Free Member

A useful thread being I have just put a deposit down on a croix de fer! … so excited!

I think i am currently going down the mtfu option with a slight massaging of the actual price 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a system whereby upgraded bits and older frames filter down to the missus. Whenever I buy something new, I invariably find something shiny to bolt onto her bike too.

Her bike (a 2008 Marin Wolf Ridge) is a bloody lovely piece of kit, resplendant with brand new Pikes (my new bike these swapped for Wotans), Hope M4s (I swapped them for Hayes Strokers as she prefers the lever shape) and my old Charge Spoon saddle.

She’s hinted that she has her eye on my blue seatclamp though…

woody2000

My good lady said to me t’other day – “You’ve had that one a while now, be time for a new one soon won’t it?”

She’s a keeper 🙂

I’d just tell her, maybe with added “it’s cheaper than me having a heart attack” or similar!

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d just tell her, maybe with added “it’s cheaper than me having a heart attack” or similar!

And my missus would say ‘and your point is?’ bless her.

yossarian
    Free Member

I have recently tried a new tactic. In the past I would attempt to pave the way with hints and various comments in the vain hope I could wear the missus down. Women do not work like that and become angry and sullen if they perceive you are trying it on.

This time I popped out for some milk and bread and came home 3 hours later slightly pissed and with a £1500 road bike. Major eruptions ensued but the deal was already done and my wife has vowed to spend the same amount on aikido courses and kit this year which is fine by me.

My advice? As long as you can afford it just do it and take the beating. You’ll still have a new bike when the storm has passed 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m about to build up a new bike consisting of a new frame & forks along with headset, BB, seat clamp etc but all the rest is coming off my existing FS. I said to the wife, it won’t cost that much in the long run as I’ll sell my Handjob to cover a big chunk of it, she said “don’t bother Iight ride it to get fit”

Double win, I get a new bike and get to keep the one I was going to sell to partly fund it/lessen the lady impact!!

ianpinder
    Free Member

woody2000 – Member
    My good lady said to me t’other day – “You’ve had that one a while now, be time for a new one soon won’t it?”

She’s a keeper

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about basing your relationships on mutual respect? Not on lies

I cannot understand how some of you still have partners

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Had a friend who kept his new bike away from his missus by leaving it in my shed and riding round on his hack to swap whenever he went out. Trouble was the cr*p hit the fan when my wife (now ex) found a new bike in the shed and thought it was mine! New GF said she would put up with the growing bike collection if she could have a new bike too…. Job done…

Woody
    Free Member

Hold the press

“TJ in failure to understand tongue in cheek web posting shocker” 😯

wwaswas

c) I won it in a competition

brant did this on at least one occasion, I believe.

How about basing your relationships on mutual respect?

Where’s the fun in that?

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Just ask yourself would you like it done to you.Treat everybody how you, would like to be treated and you wont go far wrong in life.

yossarian
    Free Member

I cannot understand how some of you still have partners

Go back to your helmetless utopia oh childless one. 😉

Real men need more bikes and a bit of subtefuge is healthy.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

The bike wont run out on you, wont look at you accusingly from a late night with the boys, wont insist that 30 pairs of shoes are a human right, hasnt got a mother! Cant burn the toast, or get a headache.. or gossip about you to its mates …..and is ALWAYS up for a dirty weekend!

convert

Seem to be 2 types of family/ couple finance models:-

1 – All your money goes into a single pot both partners dip into for personal use as their (perceived) needs arise.

2 – You both get paid into your own personal accounts which in turn bounce most of the cash into a joint account leaving each with an agreed amount of spending money.

We operate model 2 with personal money covering clothes, dental/ optician stuff, sports kit/ gym memberships, gifts to each other and usual occasional little luxuries. In my experience blokes miss out badly in model 1 relationships. Ladies, especially non sporty ones, seem to have a drip drip dependency on cash for lots of smaller value clobber (clothes, shoes, pointless cushions, hair cuts) which get through under the radar as “needed” without “permission” from the other half. Men seem to spend about the same amount per annum but on fewer very high value items (bikes for example) that because of their value apparently have to get prior approval.

Model 2 means it’s yours to do with what you like and no need for petty titt for tat purchases and grumpy post spending huffs.

jools182
    Free Member

Option a
    Truth is going to come out eventually, best just to be upfront and deal with it. It’s your money and you only live once

vinnyeh

Dibbs
    Free Member

Don’t volunteer how much it cost, but make a point of saying that it was a bargain and how much you saved.

Bregante

a) just MTFU and say “the pedals will arrive on Friday so don’t go out”

Or: I need it for the two weeks I’ve just booked in Morzine 🙂

Bregante

And don’t forget to duck!

angryratio
    Free Member

I’m still working out a way i can “create” room in the house for a singlespeed road thingy.

mandog

as said above. buy the bike and take the beating when it arrives. life’s too short to miss out on the important things.

rob2
    Free Member

I have one of the new chumba hx1s arriving at the end of the month hopefully. Not thought through the conversation but I’ve still got time 🙂

Nick

Clearly you should have had the bike delivered to work and saved yourself a load of trouble.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘New Bike arriving Thurs, what justifications have you given to the family before’ is closed to new replies.