New Akrigg vid

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • New Akrigg vid
  • Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

couldn’t really give a flying **** what brand of bike he’s on.

This is what’s always confused me about the Mongoose tie up.  Can’t really see how it works for Mongoose.  Akrigg makes a point of riding anything on anything, including the kiddie bikes and the cheapo fixies, so no-one’s looking at the bikes he’s riding and thinking “wow those bikes are really capable”

His riding is more impressive the more you realise what he’s doing and how difficult it really is before he makes it look easy.  It’s not really as obviously impressive to the relative newbie as say, Danny Mac’s

So who’s watching these and rushing down to halfords to buy a Mongoose?  Not the long-time rider who really appreciates the elegance and rowdy finesse of what he’s doing, and not the newbie who’s instantly impressed by how he’s riding.

Maybe it’s just older riders feeling better about buying a Mongoose for their kids?

walleater

“Maybe a stupid question, but anyone know how that’s filmed?  Is it a drone following him up that rocky climb at 0:50?”

I just rode along behind him one handed. I nearly stalled once but otherwise it was pretty easy.

whitestone

Maybe a stupid question, but anyone know how that’s filmed?  Is it a drone following him up that rocky climb at 0:50?

Hand held gimbal mounted camera I think. In one or two of the shots you can see the camera’s shadow in either bottom left or bottom right. If it was a drone then at that height and looking up you’d catch sight of the rotors.

Premier Icon hardtailonly
    Subscriber

Ilkley, Shipley Glen, Howarth, Skipton ish. (Not in that order)

Don’t know the Howarth or Skipton bits but recognise the rest. Was there not a section, towards the end, on Otley Chevin … Top of “The Full Jedi” descent for the locals among us?

Edit. @2.32. Just had a second look and not so sure now.

Premier Icon Brainflex
    Subscriber

Does he buckle his rear wheel at 2.40?

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

@2.32 is the Skipton bit.

@2.40 I reckon the sound was a burping tyre

Rich_s

Bit different…

Premier Icon bigdean
    Subscriber

Is that Leigh Ramsdale?

That is indeed Leigh Ramsdell, I think he’s a product manager or team manager for Mongoose now.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

That was fun…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Fun indeed 🙂

geex

That was awesome.
    Just watched it twice with my youngest and she’s gone to bed thinking Chris rides around doing tricks with a man and a BMX in his paniers.

😀

Spin

I think I have a bit of a man crush on Chris Akrigg.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Ha. me too.

I think I prefer watching his videos over any others. One minute it’s a fixie, a hardtail, a full sus, motorbike, a road bike or winning the hill climb up the cobbles on a single speed. He can just ride anything seemingly.

The lack of pro-edits and multi camera angles means some people aren’t seeing just how difficult the stuff he’s doing is, or maybe he’s just making it look easy. Either way, I think he’s a very powerful, very skilful rider.

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

The word that springs into my mind when I watch him ride is: sublime.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Fair play.
    What a nice chap.

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

Akrigg 😀

As usual inspirational.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
    I.

Lionheart

My favourite bike vids, he rides like I do in my dreams.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Very good. Again. ta.

Chris Akrigg: the man with the MTB world’s funniest slo-mo face!

Is that a motorbike helmet though? Looks a bit like one…

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

It is Giro Switchblade with removed chin guard. It is very moto-like but surprisingly comfy.

Putting it on, especially with chin guard is a bit of a task though 🙂

Especially if you are big-eared xD

Cheers!
    I.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

If Colin Furze rode bikes…

Premier Icon cokie
    Subscriber

Awesome video. Amazing how creative he is with a feature.
    I’ve dreamed of similar things when I’ve ridden past fallen trees. Sometimes looks like a natural quarter pipe. His perseverance is awesome!

Is that a motorbike helmet though? Looks a bit like one…

Giro Switchblade- he comes from moto trails roots, so suits his riding down the ground.

Just seen this, nice to see a video that gives more of a behind the scenes aspect, rather than all the polished edits that convey perfection.

That said, I remember seeing Chris compete in head to head speed trials at Bike ’99 and his skills border on the superhuman… 20 years later and he’s still none too shabby for an old fella.

Hard to think of another rider with such a well deserved cult following

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.