Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • New Akrigg vid
  • Rich_s

Always find it amazing how he rides up things with so much skill when the rest of the MTB world focuses on riding down…

Particularly enjoy the steep hillside bit (just a steep, dirt hill). Some serious fitness and commitment there.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think the steep hillside bit is just on the outskirts of Skipton at the end of the Roman Road. The first climb at about 50s onwards is up Rocky Valley on Ilkley Moor.

3phase
    Free Member

skillful as ever

letmetalktomark

It looked to be filmed behind the back of big Tesco in Swindon.

martinhutch

I think the steep hillside bit is just on the outskirts of Skipton at the end of the Roman Road. The first climb at about 50s onwards is up Rocky Valley on Ilkley Moor.

Yeh, that’s Jenny Gill Woods. He seems to like it up there, it’s featured on two or three of his videos.

The ease with which he flies up that Rocky Valley climb is depressing!

kayla1
    Free Member

Sweeeet! 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

Do like his videos, always different to the mainstream stuff.  Also like the way he leaves in the odd error like a rock strike or a rear wheel missing a rut, makes it much more believable.  When is a big bike company gong to pick him up, seems strange he’s that good, well followed but on Mongoose.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another great vid from him, always looks it make SO easy. And ‘they’ say big wheels aren’t as nimble…

pedlad

Love his videos – that bit at 1:40 with the manual off the rock at the end.

Noticed on this, some of his other videos that he seems to run his forks mega stiff.  Taking big hits and not using anywhere near the full travel. I wonder if this is a trials thing – more pop ?

geex
    Free Member

He’s pretty **** incredible at riding down things too

dannyh
    Free Member

Great video and fantastic strength, fitness and ability. Even better when you consider that he looks like he got his bike from Argos too.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Doesn’t he have a metal rod running the length of his femur from when he fell off that cliff?

Bloody amazing rider and a really nice bloke too!

MoreCashThanDash

I really enjoy his videos – they seem to flow as part of a ride rather than being a series of stunts like Danny Macaskill – not better, just different.

And every time I watch one I think “oh, a Mongoose” and go off for a Google…

ads678

Really is about time he got himself a decent bike.

You can throw as much fox and XTR at it as you like, it still looks like cheap rubbish.

Cracking rider though.

Simon

I was riding home from work two weeks ago and bumped into him filming the last shots for that video. He said he’s been working on a bigger project that should be ready soon.

danti

Great video, nice to hear the bike as well rather than music.

dumbbot
    Free Member

+1 to a lot of the comments here, his videos are terrific. I’m also baffled by the Mongoose affiliation, has anyone actually seen one in a shop in the last 10years? I remember they were cool BMX’s that I lusted after, with mag wheels…they look like shite mountain bikes though.

teenrat

Think this is proof that it’s the rider not the bike. Who cares if he’s on a mongoose. Could you do that on a santa cruz?

joemmo
    Free Member

out of curiosity I looked online to see where I could buy the bike that he’s riding / advertising… and I can’t. At least not in the UK. Odd.

Great riding though

colournoise

Always enjoy a new clip from Akrigg. Even the ‘tame’ XC ones like this. They always look like the kind of riding you could do, except you probably couldn’t…

P20

Always love his style.

joebristol

I can appreciate all the skills, but for me it’s not a very exciting video. Don’t like the ‘music’ in the background, although I do like you can hear the bike noises.

The bike isn’t great to look at I agree with all the posters above.

scruff
    Free Member

He’s one of the best riders around, but that 29er looks awkward compared to his other stuff.

Mongooses are sold in Halfords, probably by the millions.

bigjim

Awesome skills, much rather see him riding amazingly on a mongoose than a santa cruz or other stw approved bike!

duncancallum

Always appears as a much stronger rider than Dannymac as he looks like hes really wrestling tge bike…

Awesome vid though

jamj1974

Love that!  Feels like a great ride in the woods but with the skill turned up to 11.

nealglover
    Free Member

much rather see him riding amazingly on a mongoose than a santa cruz or other stw approved bike!

Why ?

ads678

TBH I don’t really care what he’s riding it just surprises me that he continues to ride bikes that generally look crap and you can’t seem to buy in the uk. I’d have thought he could get himself s much nicer bike.

Fair play to him though, he must like them and as said above, it shows that a 5k carbon wonder bike really doesn’t matter…

bigwatts
    Free Member

His videos don’t do anything for me. I like watching people do things I can’t or wouldn’t do. All this looks completely doable, uninspiring and like the director wanted it to look like it was filmed in one go but obviously wasn’t.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Poor lad obviously can’t afford the petrol to travel that far out in his car.

Ilkley, Shipley Glen, Howarth, Skipton ish. (Not in that order)

beagle
    Free Member

Ahh Bigwatts. Swoon.

bigwatts
    Free Member

Be honest. Have you ever seen anyone riding like that in real life. Just looks daft and inefficient. Lots of bobbing up and down in short burst that no one would maintain for long. Just looks like over exaggerating a a normal ride.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

That’s sort of the point, isn’t it? His style is riding the sort of stuff most people do, but with far more grace and style (and with a bit of trials thrown in).

It’s not as spectacular as some videos, but I’m a big fan of it.

geex
    Free Member

The video is not the most technical riding Chris has ever put in a video for sure but it’s progressive ind orignal later on making a lot of what he;s riding look easy. The 90 degree endo to pedal stall to kickflip hop onto the rock at 2min 55ish is genius and he makes it look like nothing. watch it again and actually get your head round what he does then think about even just remembering the pedal position and timing required. He then rides up a rocky chute that may not look anywhere near as steep on film but you just know if you saw it in real life you’d have no chance cleaning it in a oner given all day to try. Infact I doubt many could nail the power wheelie turn into it he does before even tackling the chute

I love every video Akrigg does because you can see from simple stuff like little the leaf kick outs he does rolling down a simple bit of trail near the beginning that the guy just loves riding.

geex
    Free Member

Lots of bobbing up and down in short burst that no one would maintain for long.

It’s how he rides, pure power but with finesse and accuracy. The guy’s been doing it so long he’s built to sustain exactly those repeated efforts. It’s fairly obvious from your comment you don’t. So probably wouldn’t maintain it for very long. No.

Take some advice from this guy on your stamina 😉

uphillcursing
    Free Member

We must be among gods here in STW.

senorj

I think that’s ace. The rocky climb was rather smart , I’ll be showing little J later.

The music was good too , rather that than a green day soundalike for me. 🙂

@uphillcursing
    – kneel in the presence of greatness. 😉

kerley
    Free Member

I remember they were cool BMX’s that I lusted after, with mag wheels

They weren’t even good BMXs.  Even the Supergoose was a heavy old thing compared to decent BMX’s like Hutch, Robinson, Race Inc etc,.

However, I can’t see the problem with him riding for Mongoose, swap the bike for a Santa Cruz Chameleon and would he be doing anything different, no he wouldn’t.

Superficial
    Free Member

The ‘problem’ with Akrigg is that he has a knack for making very difficult riding look easy because he’s so smooth over gnarly awkward terrain. Even from his pure trials days he’d be finding the most awkward natural lines which were technically very hard but never looked especially hard unless you really knew what you were watching. As a result he’d never have the mass appeal of someone like Danny Mac, for example.

I enjoyed that video. Very smooth riding and as above there are some very tech lines that no one on here could clean. But it wasn’t jaw-dropping in the way some videos are.

As for why Mongoose – I’ve seen a video where he says he’s very grateful for them for sticking with him after his accident when it was far from clear he would ever ride (well) again. So there’s that. And probably a decent enough paycheck for him? I wonder if Mongoose just use him to play to their US market? Paint the illusion of a global brand? I’ve always thought it was a weird association but it seems to have worked for both parties for a number of years. And the videos keep coming so who are we to complain?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Right I’m not having this. He parked in the space outside my house, man’s a prick I tell thee.

I’ve heard there’s video footage of him, in his back yard, next to his coal shed burning an effigy of Steve Peat on his Santa Cruz.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘New Akrigg vid’ is closed to new replies.