Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New 29er full sus. Give me some ideas
  • richmtb

So I’m trying to acquire a new full sus by stealth. I’ve been slowly upgrading my Boardman Pro 29er and I could use these parts plus a frame to pretty much give me a new bike.

Looking at 29er full sus frames. Something in the region of 120mm travel. The Whyte 129 looks good. But frames are like hens teeth. So looking for some other suggestions.
    Needs to not have boost spacing as I want to re use my existing wheels

Budget is £1000 max. Happy to look at s/h too

chakaping
    Free Member

Transition Smuggler, probably need to go secondhand though there may be some deals about now it’s reaching the end of its production life.

Perhaps the original Orange Segment.

jam-bo

Salsa spearfish on the classifieds at the moment.

There was a bandit 29r a week or so ago that looked pretty mint. I love mine.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I got a t129s as a dip my toe in the water for 29ers second hand for £750. I’ve now sold everything else it’s that good. If I was you I’d buy one of them and cherry pick the best parts and flog the rest. Probably end up costing you next to nowt.

mendippete
    Free Member

I currently looking and keep going back to an on-one codeine, not really a fan of on-one but the geometry and price all add up to make it a good deal, currently on a turner sultan but cant source any upper dw bushes, so time to go back to a simpler design also have a Santa cruz super light 29er and a Lenz Behemoth both have steep head angles so time to go slack and get some thing a bit more up to date.

renton
    Free Member

I’m sure pop larkin on here was selling a t129 works frame on here a few weeks back.

Frankers
    Free Member

How about Pyga OneTen29 ?

110mm rear and 120/130mm front

spev

How tall are you? Banshee Phantom? there are limited sizes available for the 2016 version, you’d have to see what your local dealer can do (Ison Dist are the supplier).

richen987
    Free Member

I would second a Pyga 110/29, really is a great bike.

Picked up my frame for around £450, they pop up every now and then.
    if your down South, more than welcome to swing a leg over mine.

As an aside the 2nd gen frames have internal dropping routing, which gen 1 frames don’t have, in case you have an internal dropper already, may need to factor that in.

richmtb

Thanks guys, some good suggestions I would never even though to look at

scandal42
    Free Member

T129 is an exceptionally good bike to ride.

Had an absolute hoot at Nant-yr-Arian on Monday.

I was lucky and got my frame on PB second hand but they are rare. Rear clearance is also a bit restricted, I run a Beaver 2.25 Exo which I find to be a great tyre and is way more trail orientated than the old narrower version with a decent volume.

I’d recommend if you can find one.

iainc

ooops, had this thread open at work when your missus was at my desk……. 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s a great deal to choose from, having seen the Banshee 29er in the metal at Biketart, it’s a gorgeous frame and everyone I’ve spoken to who has ridden one raves about it.

Also, there are some really good deals on Stumpjumper frames on Bikescene, which should leave you plenty of change from your budget.

bowglie

Spesh Camber EVO if you can lay your hands on a frame only. Great with something like a 120mm Pike up front, or you can ‘Evo-Max’ it by sticking a 130mm air shaft in:)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Good shout on the Camber. I believe that the pre-2016 model (recent Cambers share a frame with the Stumpjumper) are the ones to have.

harvey
    Free Member

i see an occasional santa cruz tallboy frame secondhand on eBay/pinkbike. put on one of those headset angle adjuster

bowglie

Yep, if it’s a Camber, it’s the pre 2016 Evo model that’s the one to go for. If you get a second hand one though, I’d strongly advise checking for bearing wear in the suspension.

Or…(excuse the blatant plug, as I have one for sale;))….for something a bit different, a Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 100mm rear, 120mm front – same geometry as the Tallboy, but single pivot, so easier to clean and maintain. On paper, the Superlight 29 and Tallboy look really ‘xc’, but they are far more trail friendly than your typical XC bike – absolute riot around your typical trail centre red.

theocb
    Free Member

Stif had some deals on Niner Rip/Jet 9 Carbon frames

batman11
    Free Member

I wouldn’t cross boost frames off your list as company’s like wolftooth do the boostinator which is handy and production privee will,have something very similar out soon. So that’s a low’ish cost conversion there.
    Also orange segment gets my vote if 29er is your thing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New 29er full sus. Give me some ideas’ is closed to new replies.