Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nevis Range gondola on Monday
  • grum
    Free Member

PlannIng to do the DH on Monday:

I assume it’s all open – will there be practice for the racing at the weekend etc? Is it going to be mentally busy? Was wondering about if you can prebook the gondola but I’m on my phone at the mo and their website didn’t seem to work very well.

Cheers!

BoardinBob

Sat/sun 9/10 June – MTB World Cup. Orange Downhill closed Mon 4 – Sun 10. Nevis Red XC closed thurs 7 – Sun 10. Both trails reopen Mon 11 June, DH may open late. ALL WORLD CUP CLOSURES TBC

http://bike.nevisrange.co.uk/track-ajax.asp

Looks like it’s (main DH track) closed from Monday onwards

grum
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Never been before, is the red going to keep me entertained for a day? Looks like just my kind of riding. We might be able to make it for Sunday instead if not.

Simon

I’d try and make it for Sunday and have a go at the main DH track if you’ve not been before.

grum
    Free Member

Yup think we will try and do that, cheers.

Simon

is the red going to keep me entertained for a day

I managed 3 runs of the red and 2 of the main DH and I was knackered!
    The weather was pretty shocking though, it was so windy at points on the Red I had trouble keeping moving.

SBrock
    Free Member

I managed 3 runs of the red and 2 of the main DH and I was knackered!

We were there last Monday and was very surprised at the Red, quite tricky in places, managed 3 runs on the Red and 1 on then DH but nearly killed myself, it wasn’t an enjoyable experience as I was out of my depth and not ashamed to admit it, I was on a 6″ bike with 36s but could of done with some thing bigger!

Amazing weather though, if your there i recommend Laggan Wolftrax…..AWESOME

grum
    Free Member

Yup will be going to Laggan on the other day, been there before but not done the black yet. I will be on a 6″ bike with 36s too – ready made excuse if it’s too hard for me. 🙂

Simon

I was on a 6″ bike with 36s but could of done with some thing bigger!

I was on a Prophet with 150mm Revs. Videos don’t prepare you for how steep and rough the DH track is! I would love to go back and ride it on a proper DH bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bigger travel bike wont help

Slacker head angle and less brakes will help

Northwind

They’ve tweaked the red route so it’s a bit more red than it was when it first opened, but it’s still the hardest red route I’ve ridden by miles, trickier than most blacks and some pretty high consequences of failure in places. I really rate it, it seems to be a bit marmite but I’ve spent days up it and will do again…

The wc route goes fine on a regular bike (I raced it last year on my Hemlock, and was not last), so if it’s open it’s definately worth a go.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Also worth thinking about if you’re in the area is the new red and UKs toughest DH at Glencoe~ chairlift is open every day and they have a special offer on day passes on the 7th and 8th June.

The Red is a bit easier than the one at Nevis range, but still plenty challenging; the scenery is truly beautiful as well.

Glencoe Mountain

SBrock
    Free Member

Bigger travel bike wont help

Slacker head angle and less brakes will help

Surely if you go to a bigger travel bike, the geometry changes……

carlosg
    Free Member

I did the dh last year on an ’06 spesh sx trail with 66rc’s , didn’t really enjoy the red but that’s probably just the marmite thing. Quickest I got down th dh was 9.00 minutes .This year I’ve got some bigger forks and have ridden nothing but dh for the last 3 months .

trail_rat
    Free Member

My hardtail is slacker than a nomad so no that does no stand to reason

The dh isnt any worse than it used to be when i rode it on my marin b17 with 6 inch travel.

To quote lance it aint all about the bike !

SBrock
    Free Member

Yep the rider, in this case, is the limiting factor, not afraid to admit it, and yes I’m on a Nomad

trail_rat
    Free Member

Last nomad i rode was steeper than my xc bike 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nevis Range gondola on Monday’ is closed to new replies.