Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Never thought it would happen to me- knocked off this morning.
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

The stopping distance there  isn’t 10m. It’s 10m + the cars stopping distance – reaction time, don’t need to adjust too much there.

Bez

In the OPs case, they’re not, they’re stationary and the OP anticipated that they would move

That seems to involve a bunch of assumptions. According to the OP someone pulled into his path and then hit the brakes, which makes them an active party; it’s not as if they were just parked up.

The point is that we don’t know much at all about the timings or anything else here, so any discussion of who is at fault is all speculation. I find it weird that anyone thinks the speculation is trolling. It’s not answering the OP’s question, granted (welcome to conversation on the web) but I can’t see anything here that looks like trolling.

Happy to kick things off if need be, though 😁

andylc
    Free Member

Lovely of everyone to assume it was the fault of the OP! Pulling out without looking is always the fault of the puller-outer surely? Also given she would have been going slowly to start off with she would have come to a halt almost instantaneously.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

OP, could you have done anything differently to avoid the crash? This is all I would be asking myself if I was you.

She pulls out without looking. Did you slam on, start scrubbing off some speed off here or continue at your pace assuming that she would be out of your way before you got past the side road?

Slamming her brakes on after seeing you was a silly thing to do obviously.

Bez

Do you always slow down so you could stop in 10m in case the car suddenly does an emergency stop?

Well, I do*. But there’s an unavoidable period where (as per the OP’s case, it would seem) if they do an emergency stop shortly after pulling in front of you there’s nothing you can do. Which is how car insurance scammers stage collisions.

* when I was a foolhardy teenager this would have been untrue, as evidenced by the one time I went into the back of a car (no damage to anyone or anything, put down to experience and never repeated)

seosamh77
    Free Member

The pulling out bit is irrelevant tbh, the OP, by their own admission can see that they’ve looked in their rear view mirror and then hit the brakes, so the car is fully straight at that point. driver panics, silly yes, but the Op then rides straight into the back of a car. Which is more silly.

And by the Ops own admission again they said the driver didn’t look before pulling out, so they’ve seen that car long before the emergency stop debacle! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

imnotverygood
    You might like to rethink that post Dez

You’re right, sorry, honestly didn’t see how much shit he’d actually posted. And stlll is.

Bez

Also given she would have been going slowly to start off with she would have come to a halt almost instantaneously.

But then if she’d been going that slowly she’d necessarily have taken a significant (ie observable) time to pull out from the side road and position herself fully in front of the OP…

By the way, when does playing advocate become trolling? I always forget 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think we need a couple of ms paint scribbles from the OP depicting what happened! 😆 Only way to clear this up!

thepurist

Wasn’t a dig at you OP, more a question for the elite cycling gods among us.   I’d have been straight in nurse gladys’ back end like you were.

breadcrumb

She told me she looked her mirror. I didn’t see her do it. Only red lights. But you’ve decided it’s my fault so there we go.

OP, could you have done anything differently to avoid the crash? This is all I would be asking myself if I was you.

She pulls out without looking. Did you slam on, start scrubbing off some speed off here or continue at your pace assuming that she would be out of your way before you got past the side road?

Slamming her brakes on after seeing you was a silly thing to do obviously.

I started scrubbing as she pulled out, braked as much as possible. Single lane road too so not much scope for avoidance.

Bez

For what it’s worth (sorry OP) let’s lob some numbers in. I won’t show my working too much because it’s all very rough, there’s no point being precise when we know so little, this is just to add some context to the speculation.

19mph on a bike is around 8.5m/s. If you take the “three seconds” someone punted earlier, you’ll cover a bit over 25m (about 12 bike lengths or five car lengths) at that speed (ie if you don’t react to anything).

If you observe something at the start of those three seconds and your reaction time is around a second and you react by performing a pretty hard stop, you’ll come to a halt roughly (coincidentally) three seconds after the observation after covering about 17m (eight bike lengths, three car lengths).

But if someone pulled out in front of them and accelerated, most people wouldn’t perform a full emergency stop: they’d decelerate sufficiently to avoid a collision and then adjust the gap to something safe as the driver ahead pulled away. Few if any people would consider the driver ahead suddenly braking to a stop as being a likely turn of events, so they wouldn’t go all-in on the anchors straight away; especially on a two-wheeler.

Obviously it’s perfectly reasonable in many scenarios that someone in the OP’s position would be able to avoid an incident, but you only have to adjust the timings a bit before things look different when it comes to the equally reasonable scenario of slowing adequately on the assumption that the driver would not immediately do an emergency stop.

Given that the OP’s driver has, apparently, admitted fault, we can probably accept that this falls within the range of parameters whereby the OP couldn’t reasonably have been expected to avoid it, and move on.

I still find it weird that someone would do an emergency stop in response to noticing someone heading towards their boot, though. But that’s humans, I guess 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’m curious to know why the nurse pulled out and then stopped when she saw the OP behind her. Surely thats the polar opposite of what she should have done i.e. floored it?

Daffy

Ah, apologies – I misunderstood your initial post.  I read it as “a driver travelling in the same direction as you approaches a junction and starts to pull out, sees you in her rear view mirror and brakes before pulling out and that you want into the back of her”  the initial post was (understandably) a little confusing.

breadcrumb

Few if any people would consider the driver ahead suddenly braking to a stop as being a likely turn of events, so they wouldn’t go all-in on the anchors straight away; especially on a two-wheeler.

Obviously it’s perfectly reasonable in many scenarios that someone in the OP’s position would be able to avoid an incident, but you only have to adjust the timings a bit before things look different when it comes to the equally reasonable scenario of slowing adequately on the assumption that the driver would not immediately do an emergency stop.

Given that the OP’s driver has, apparently, admitted fault, we can probably accept that this falls within the range of parameters whereby the OP couldn’t reasonably have been expected to avoid it, and move on.

Thanks. I think that sums it up.

Poopscoop

OP, just wanted to say I’m glad you suffered no lasting injuries first and foremost.

I wasn’t there and I’m not getting into the politics. This is a biking forum, I’m a biker too and I hope this gets resolved for you in an amicable and fast manner.

Seriously guys, give the op a break perhaps?…..

seosamh77
    Free Member

brakes would have been handy, aye! 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Never thought it would happen to me- knocked off this morning.’ is closed to new replies.