Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 4,057 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • nicko74

Planned to watch the Holdovers on Prime this weekend; was a bit miffed it’s already gone.

But a recommendation I received: Fisk on Netflix. Aussie comedy, 30 minute episodes, about a woman being a lawyer. If you liked Colin from Accounts, the Letdown etc, it’s similar kind of dry humour.

montgomery
    Free Member

No love for Tokyo Vice? Just realised the second season has gone up on the iPlayer (along with the first, which was very good).

nicko74

There’s been no press or promotion of it, but I spotted it a couple of weeks back. It’s on my list – but I’m just realising that I had it confused with Giri/ Haji. I don’t think I finished S1 tbh

sirromj

No love for Tokyo Vice? Just realised the second season has gone up on the iPlayer (along with the first, which was very good).

Ah excellent, we enjoyed that. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve just finished the 2nd series of The Outer Range. It’s good but feel like it is in the same template as many series are these days which is to build it up slowly until the end of the series where I’m get excited to watch and then it’s all over and you have to wait another year or two for the next series by which point I’ve forgotten what’s actually happened despite the brief recaps.

desperatebicycle

The Sympathizer (as prev page) started on Sky last night, pretty unusual – definitely a different view of the Vietnam (American) War. Was finding it hard to engage with, but it had me by the end.

thepodge
    Free Member

I clicked on Delicious in Dungeon on netflix, I think it’s age rating got confused in translation, the “scenes of a sexual nature” seems to be two monsters holding hands as that’s how they mate & the “graphic violence” is the occasional chopping up of strange creatures. It’s actually an odd little program that is quite typical of Japanese animation without the traditional manga side of things.

martinhutch

Just caught up with ‘Barry’ on HBO/Sky. Just fabulously dark, with some of the most surreally funny episodes just randomly thrown in. Great cast, too – Henry Winkler is great.

thols2

The Sympathizer (as prev page) started on Sky last night, pretty unusual – definitely a different view of the Vietnam (American) War. Was finding it hard to engage with, but it had me by the end.

It’s like The Deer Hunter, it’s not really about the Vietnam War, it’s about what the war did to people. In this case, the protagonist is utterly lost, he is a Communist agent who infiltrated the South Vietnamese police, his father is French, his mother Vietnamese, and he has no idea who he is.

scuttler

For the wannabuyers and cantfinders on here bookmark https://www.justwatch.com/uk/. It’ll save you a load of hassle.

kilo

Been bingeing on Eric. this evening. Quite a tough watch but well done.

leffeboy

Eric is a tough start but great

kilo

Yes, found it reminiscent of True Detective.

binners

The Ashley Maddison documentary on Netflix is a real eye opener. I remembered it as a brief news item but the stories of the fallout from it are absolutely horrendous.

crazy-legs

I’ve just watched Under Paris on Netflix – it had really good reviews:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/jun/05/under-paris-best-shark-movie-netflix

It’s wildly silly but actually quite entertaining, if thoroughly implausible! A lot of knowing nods to Jaws which is no bad thing.

Ewan
    Free Member

Yep. We watched that last night. Silly but good.

desperatebicycle

Hit Man (new Richard Linklater) – watched yesterday on Netflix, very enjoyable bit of fluff :)

toby1

Swarm (Amazon) bizarre and brutal but enjoying it. Donald Glover has had a hand in it too which I hadn’t realised till the end of the first one when the credits rolled made sense though, has his odd humour in it.

crazy-legs

The Blue Angels (Amazon Prime).

Documentary about the US Navy aerobatic display team. The flying and cinematography is off the charts – basically a Top Gun documentary but with cinema levels of production and sound.

It’s jaw-dropping flying content – if you’ve got any interest in military flying, airshows etc it’s well worth a watch, even if some of the talking is almost indecipherable levels of rapid “pilot speak” tech talk.

timba
    Free Member

Bloodline on Netflix, good cast

The Shield (2002) s1 just finished on Dave (Freeview), apparently also available on UKTV Play. I watched it first time around, still as gritty with dark humour as I remember

tenfoot

The Blue Angels (Amazon Prime).

Ooh. Wasn’t aware of this. Sounds right up my street. Cheers.

dyna-ti

A Canadian comedy drama called Loudermilk. Very swearing and sarcastic about an addiction counselor.

Just started watching it and on ep4 straight. 3 seasons of 10 eps each, so plenty to watch.

nickc

Scavengers Reign on Netflix. Animated series about a bunch of survivors trying to get back to the spaceship that they had to abandon after a disaster. It’s not “pew pew lasers” Just folks trying to survive. The local fauna and flora of the world is impressively imagined. It has 100% on rotten tomatoes but for some reason was ignored by HBO and not picked up for a second series.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Shield (2002) – A very under rated show.

desperatebicycle

A very under rated show

Very highly rated I’d say. eg. 8.7 on IMDB (Deservedly so, of course)

honourablegeorge

montgomeryFree Member

I enjoyed Series 1 – I would say Series 2 is MUCH better, really gets going with a proper bad guy

bensales
    Free Member

Tour De France Unchained Season 2 featuring the 2023 Tour has “just dropped” on Netflix.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Hit Man (new Richard Linklater) – watched yesterday on Netflix, very enjoyable bit of fluff 🙂

Agree. Saw it on Friday and it was enjoyable fluff. As was Family Plan on Apple TV, which we saw a few weeks ago.

Just started on Tokyo Vice S1. Good watch so far, if a little bit of a slow burner.

zilog6128

Watched two surprisingly good films on Amazon yesterday, Land of Bad (although goes a bit silly towards the end) and Rise of the Footsoldier – Vengeance (was expecting it to be extremely silly all the way through but out of all the Footsoldier films it’s probably the most “normal” one!)

chakaping

The Shield was (and probably still is) awesome, and well-regarded by fans. But it never gets mentioned along with Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men etc.

And OK it’s a bit more soapy and less “important” than some of those, but I don’t think it does get its due.

kilo

The Shield was (and probably still is) awesome, and well-regarded by fans

And has the excellent Walton Goggins in it.

toby1

The Shield (2002)

Back when this thread actually started (true fact) ;)

As for Loudermilk, think we mentioned it several pages back, do keep up people!

desperatebicycle

Have we noticed Prime has the first 3 eps of The Boys 4th series up?

fossy

I have !

zilog6128

Have we noticed Prime has the first 3 eps of The Boys 4th series up?

nope. I know what I’m watching in about 10 mins tho 😂

fossy

Abut 8:30pm I’ll be putting The Boys on, just as those two monkeys come on TV again.

zilog6128

So many WTF moments 😂

spacemonkey

Tried watching Rebel Moon (Pt 1) this week. What an utter abomination. No interesting or likeable characters and a wholly unimaginative, cheap rip off of The Magnificent Seven as a plot. Avoid.

nicko74

Pretty sure I mentioned the Shield a few pages back – it is top notch, probably second only to The Wire for me personally.

I remember hearing an interview with Zack Snyder about Rebel Moon, and he in all seriousness started explaining it by saying “these farmers just want to grow grain…” and then started banging on about how the empire wanted to take their grain. I knew the film was toss, hadn’t realised he was such an intellectual midget

Life and Times of Colonel Blimp is on BBC iPlayer if you like Powell & Pressburger. Also Godzilla Minus One is on Netflix!

Klunk
    Free Member

not often you let the credits play out :)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Mind hunter.  Excellent tv. We’ve binged through 2 seasons and really enjoyed it.  Very disappointed there is not going to be more!

Start Eric, seems very good so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 4,057 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.