Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Neighbours breaching lockdown
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d thought there was a thread on this but couldn’t find…

Not that anyone can answer this but I wondered how folk deal with these situations. Downstairs neighbour has been having up to 3 other households visit weekly+ with hugs and minimal social distancing in her back garden. Mostly 30ish, one baby, one in 60s.

Part of me wants to ignore it, the other is frustrated given my household is observing the rules and finding that hard. I’m not the sort to dob someone in (unless they are a ****) but I wonder if a conversation might make them see the situation from another perspective. I’m not that hopeful, she is not so far brilliant at this or behaving selflessly.

I do have some sausages in the freezer.

stumpyjon

Ignore it, you can’t do anything about it. Boris and Cummings destroyed the last vestiges of lockdown, do your bit, wash your hands, live your life.

eskay

I have seen it quite a bit as well, I think you will see a lot more this weekend in view of the new rules coming into effect Monday (and the Cummings effect).

anagallis_arvensis

Seeing it loads here, best to ignore it, knobs will knob and me telling them they are knobs wont help.

MoreCashThanDash

A quiet word will just antagonise them.

If they are being really reckless or stupid, then dob them in.

If not, just sit there and seethe, like most of us have done at some point since March

poah
    Free Member

grass them up. They are risking you as well.

convert

They are risking you as well.

You might need to explain your working there.

The point was enough of us did the right thing to get to a 75% reduction in total social interaction for the whole population. A bellend minority unable, unwilling or plain too stupid to do their bit will have been factored in. Frustrating, but there it is.

I’d forget about having a word or doing anything – at the point where we are beginning to loosen and with the throbbers our great leaders showing it didn’t really matter anyway it’ll do no good now. Just find an opportune moment to provide a little karma at a later date.

cbike
    Free Member

They will be doing the best they can to their standards. You just need to do the best you can to your standards and relax. This is life. Have an ice cream and chill.

funkmasterp

Throw frozen sausages at them every time they get close. After the Cummings debacle I think social distancing and following the guidelines is done for a percentage of the population. I’m expecting a second wave of the virus as a result.

fossy

Leave them to it. They won’t be happy when an at risk relative catches it and dies.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Our next door neighbour and her kids clearly had it. She was sending the kids round to their father’s and popping to the shops, coughing like a smoker all the time.

We live in a flat so share the stair with her, and her alone. She would know it was us if we shopped her and that was bad for neighbour relations but we were very tempted. We just took serious precautions in the stair and didn’t use our garden when she was in it but in hindsight we should’ve called her out on it.

My wife had a particularly big meltdown one day when she was working (doing the statistics on how many ICU beds were free for Nicola Sturgeon’s daily briefing on a Sunday) when this lady was hacking away.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

On a positive note, I drove thru Skipton town centre tonight and there was a big scooter gang gathering who had formed a corral with their hair driers and were all clearly stood / sat well apart from each other within the corral. Setting a good example.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Buy yourself a ghillie suit a telephoto lens and then set up a Twitter account.

kelvin

Ignore. Same around here. Low risk really, compared to travelling with symptoms to another part of the country… using the A&E facilities there… taking a birthday trip to a tourist hot spot at the height of the epidemic… in contrast a few neighbours and local extended families breaking the rules after the peak of infections had been passed… well, don’t add to it, but don’t worry about it.

Have another beer…

akira

Seems the government’s decision is political rather than based on science, relaxing lockdown and the public losing faith in the government when the r rate etc is still hight is probably going to go one way.

robowns
    Free Member

You really can’t get het up about this stuff, always going to be morons and people are always going to do what they want to do. As long as its not putting you at risk, which it isn’t, just don’t even worry about it.

robowns
    Free Member

And agree with Akira, I’m sick of lockdown and will be visiting my Mum this weekend, but I’d be suprised if there isn’t a second wave imminent given that when you look around (East London here) it’s all been completely forgotten.

footflaps

Lockdown is well and truly over in Cambridge now, local high streets are as busy as they were before only more people on the pavements queuing for things. I think DC has well and truly ended any hope of continuing it. Police have taken out dispersal orders for the weekend as there are planned illegal parties etc at local lakes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all. Probably best to let it go.

Neighbours on the other side have a load of balloons in the garden… presumably it’s their turn to party tomorrow…

BillMC

Groups in the park yesterday, kids on the ramps, a builder working 2 doors away I’m sure there’s a back room that opens in one of the locals and this is all before the schools start going back against advice.
    I’m more a concerned bystander than a snitch but it’ll be dreadful if it pans out in the way I expect it to.

andyl
    Free Member

Definite increase in **** being ****.

Our elderly neighbours have been having family round with kids since the middle of lockdown. The guy has been abusive to my partner all year so you can kind of guess was I was hoping was going to happen to him.

Other people in the village have also had people coming and going.

About 1/2 a dozen campervans on the grass along side weston beach this morning, not sure if they were travellers or just down for a break. 2 of the vans rented from a place in Manchester and one of the guys had a strong manchester accent when he rode past me on a sooter with 2 kids around 3/4 between his legs, he then went down the pavement and along the beach rode with them, no helmets or anything.

Significant increase in traffic on the M5 this weekend.

I think the new slogan should be F’off, stay local

MoreCashThanDash

Very disappointed by pics some friends of mine are now posting of their weekend activities, clearly not 2m from non household members.

And a definite increase in cyclists and walkers from pairs to threesomes, clearly not same household, clearly not 2m.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

My neighbour currently has 10 or 12 people round for a knees up. Lovely time they’re having too. I’ve become a curtain twitcher, despite trying to let it roll over me. Just pisses me off that as a family we’ve stuck to the rules, and people out there are just thinking it’s ok to have gatherings like this.
    My father and mother in law are shielding, so not seen them for 8-9 weeks, business is currently shut down, I’ve lost my holiday, my daughter and son are going insane in the house without seeing their mates, and for what?
    R number will be going back up again soon I reckon.

kelvin

Thing of it like littering… just because others do it, doesn’t mean that you joining in won’t make things worse. Just got to be sanguine about it, do what you know needs doing, and don’t concern yourselves with your neighbours’ behaviour… it’s to be expected, given the signals being sent out by those in government looking to gain some credit for increasing freedoms as soon as possible.

kimbers

Our neighbours 16 year old son has been slyly going out for a walk with his girlfrend, since lockdown began

she waits round the corner & tests him, then they go foe a non-distanced canoodle by the local lake

I cant be angry with them, no matter how hard i try

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

I have no plans to start, I’m just quietly seething about it.
    I know, I should just have a beer and forget about it, and I’m trying….

irc

Traffic back to normal driving to Paisley for work today. Numerous non distancing groups about.

Working at Balloch tomorrow I’ll be interested to see how busy Loch Lomond is.

BadlyWiredDog

Our neighbours have family and mates round for barbecue and beer, but are very polite and always let us know in advance, plus stress that they will be ‘social distancing’. What’s odd is that they clearly aren’t and we can see straight into their garden, so either they don’t know what social distancing entails or they think we don’t. I guess they may start out with good intentions, but a few beers later it all goes badly wrong, but who knows.

Either way, they’re mostly brilliant neighbours and we really don’t want to fall out with them, so we just leave them to it.

I’d just have a beer and forget about it, unless you have some sort of social death wish and really want to instigate a running feud with your neighbour and appear on one of those ‘neighbours from hell’ TV fests.

kelvin

This is why we have the 2m rule, when the science suggest 1.5m is just as effective… people are useless at staying apart… many people end up 3ft apart when trying to keep 2m apart… drop that down to 1m, as many are calling for, and they’ll end up 2ft apart.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Other neighbours party is going well, at least 3 households visited so far.

I’m not bothering about it, I got the lawn mowed and now off for a ride.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Woman two doors up from us started a new relationship during lockdown. I don’t think he’s living with her but he’s around a lot. Tonight they’re having a party with friends, think it’s a Tarts and Vicars party but the blokes haven’t bothered dressing up, no social distancing. Pisses me off a bit as we visited my parents today for the first time since this all started, felt really conflicted as I know they would have loved to have given the kids a big hug but we tried to really stick to the rules. I work for someone who called the police on her neighbours which I thought was a bit OTT as it was one of their kids had some friends round and they were really well behaved, sat around chatting, keeping their distance.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

It’s really difficult, I had all afternoon trying to ignore the neighbours in the garden, but when they started banging on about how unfair it was that ‘young people (they’re about 10 years younger than me) are going to lose out so much’ and how it’s ‘easy for older people to social distance’, I had enough, and had to go inside. Cockwombles the lot of them. They’re still going.

MoreCashThanDash

Thing of it like littering… just because others do it, doesn’t mean that you joining in won’t make things worse. Just got to be sanguine about it, do what you know needs doing

I really like how you put that 👍

I’m beginning to think people really don’t understand that the 2m social distancing rules still applies.

Sanny
    Free Member

Al

Idiots can always be relied on to behave like idiots. Having a conversation with them is ultimately the same as arguing with a pigeon. It is infuriating but you are not going to change them. All you can do is control your own behaviour.

As for the second wave, well, looking at the images from the BBC website of Durdle Door beach in the link below, as people behave like everything is back to normal then I suspect it will be sooner rather than later that things will go south again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52864454

The first image is a cracker. Not so much 2 metres as 2 centimetres distancing. I wonder how long everyone stood around gawping at the magic orange whirly bird and insta’d their halfwit mates about their time at the beach?

Cheers

Sanny

frankconway

onecheshire – call the police; easing of lockdown doesn’t start until monday and the numbers are double that ‘allowed’.
    Same as many others, I anticipate a second wave; rising R by end of this month.

Flaperon

All my neighbours here in a small North Yorkshire town are taking it pretty seriously, but bloody hell, the TOURISTS. It’s a popular town anyway but it’s busier now than it’s ever been in the last four years.

“Ooh look, darling, we can get an ice-cream for darling Clamydia. We only have to join the queue of eleventy million other feckless people thinking exactly the same thing, squash into a tiny shop, and buy from a miserable* **** who has no access to running water and probably wouldn’t wash his hands if he had”.

Then you can amble mindlessly as a family across the whole width of the narrow road glaring daggers at anyone trying to come the other way, and to cap it off you can drop your litter in the street.

I mean, I know that the average person is pretty thick and that half the population is even stupider, but it’s like they’ve descended on my front doorstep.

Like others I’m expecting a spike in the next few weeks. I know TiRed is optimistic for the future but I have to disagree based on the mouth-breathing evidence strolling along the road.

* I know he’s a knob because I received a punishment pass from him in one of his ice-cream vans on a wide empty A-road a few years ago.

mulv1976
    Free Member

My neighbours have had family round almost daily since the start of lockdown. And they both work for the NHS…

Poopscoop

Do the best you can and do your own risk assessment in situations that come up when you need to be out.

Some people are a lost cause so all you can do is look after yourself and your own and by doing so it has the lovely side effect of keeping others safe….when around you anyway… when they are around others, well, that’s another matter.

CountZero

You really can’t get het up about this stuff, always going to be morons and people are always going to do what they want to do. As long as its not putting you at risk, which it isn’t, just don’t even worry about it.

Exactly my way of thinking. Nothing I can do about other people’s actions in this situation, I’d just drive myself mad otherwise.
    My g/f does get wound up about things, though, and it really doesn’t do her any good at all. ☹️

seadog101

Ever since it was announced last week that restrictions were being eased today, our next doors have had a near constant presence of other households in their garden, which is tiny, clearly a lot of interaction and play between young kids and parents of all household groups.

By God, the noise, I didn’t think a 3 year old could keep up that level of racket for so long, and conversations at volumes that are designed to be heard across a field (the Mrs grew up on a farm, and I can only guess she has never learned that when in a town everyone can hear everything you say). Even discussions about not telling the truth if questioned by Track and Trace, “I don’t want to make somebody have to stay home for two weeks”..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours breaching lockdown’ is closed to new replies.