Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Need some XT pads, which ones to get?
  • benp1

I need to replace the rear pads on my bike, will probably order some new ones for the front at the same time, and if they’re cheap enough some replacement sets for other bikes

Seem to be lots of other options available – superstar, uberbike etc, and lots of choice within each of those ranges

I’m a normal rider, no gnarr but I do go downhill so some braking power is required. Don’t need fins, ride all the way through the year but don’t race. Often ride loaded with bikepacking kit

Any recommendations?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Regular Shimano ones, just work for me.

benp1

That’s what I’ve bought in the past. Just wondering if I’d regret one of the other offerings (as i’ll potentially be buying a few at a time so the saving would be worth it)

patriotpro
    Free Member

UBERBIKE XL

simondbarnes

Shimano

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends on budget and preference. I’ve had original Shimano pads last well and quite liked them, but I’m on Uberbike Race Matrix right now which liking a lot. They’re a different compound, bitey but last well in grit. Legend has it they were developed with the Steve Peat Syndicate so not just another knockoff cheapie.

To save you some time, Superstar are getting out of the pad business and selling off existing stock with no restocks expected. Most of the popular stuff went out of stock at the start of summer…

hodgynd
    Free Member

I also use Uber pads ..
    Visit the site around bank holidays and they always seem to have a deal ..
    Decent quality ..no complaints
    XT M8000 for £6.99 is cheap enough anyway ..

cuda17
    Free Member

uberbikes for me! discount code FACEBOOK15 was working still on friday night!!

used to love the orange (Kevlar i think) pads in my old Elixr CR’s but they dont seem to do them for my XT785s. I now use their race matrix in finned inserts!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This is as good a guide as any: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/brake-pad-information-2009.html

I use sintered (metallic) in winter with normal rotors.

And organic pads in summer with Shimano IceTec rotors.

My thnking being that organic pads require better heat management from the rotor and I’m a few pork pies overweight.

Sintered pads wear out rotors quicker though so need cheaper/solid rotors, and heat isn’t such an issue in cold/wet conditions.

But that’s over thinking it really, solid rotors are fine all year round, and if I had to pick one pad, it would probably be sintered.

Kevlar and other special pad materials usually try and be the best of both worlds, IME they tend to feel like organic pads with good initial bite, but still lack the outright power of sintered pads, but do last longer than standard organics. Basically there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

I use uberbike sintered pads, hard to say if they’re any better or worse than any other sintered pad, but I’ve never found them to lack power, they bed in fairly quickly* and last long enough not to be something I’ve kept track of.

*I prefer just riding a couple of miles on the road dragging the brakes alternately and pedaling as hard as I can against it. TBH the bedding in of any pads makes a huge amount more difference than the compound. If they’re not bedded in they feel crap, lack power and wear out the first time they get wet.

oldfart

I stick with Shimano as well , usually find Halfords are good on price , Click and Collect job done .

benp1

Thanks. I’ll steer clear of superstar then. Will look at Uberbikes or Shimano

Uberbike have the following guide –
    Semi Metallic – This compound provides high power, consistent performance, quick bedding in time, and a strong initial bite. Good value all purpose pad for a wide vareity of riding styles.
    Kevlar – Race spec compound with high strength Kevlar fibres to reinforce the pad compound for longer pad life. Suitable for riders who prefer the feel of organic pads, but require improved brake performance and extended pad life.
    Sintered – This compound provied powerful braking, especially in abrasive weather conditions, and offers the highest level of longevity. Use when extended pad life and durability under the most demanding conditions is required.
    Race Matrix- Custom compound with a unique blend of metals and friction material, which is higher friction coefficient than our other pads, offering increased durability over our Semi Metallic and Kevlar pads, whilst boasting the highest level of stopping power in our range

From Uber’s description I think semi metallic is what I’m after

benp1

Thanks for the help, just order 8 sets of pads from uberbike with the discount code above, works out pretty cheap, just over £4 a set on average

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Semi-metallic is I think another way of saying organic, it’s just bound in resin rather than a sinter.

At £4 a set if they do wear out there’s not really much lost. Although if this is for your planned Peak ride, take spares, the Peak eats pads like nowhere else.

oikeith

How do the other users of the Uber Racematrix find them in the rain? I rode in pretty bad weather last week and my breaks (SRAM Guide R) were pretty non existent, in the dry and mildly damp they have been excellent once bedded in.

P-Jay
    Free Member

For ‘everyday’ winter pads, I’d just use Deore spec Sintered ones, they don’t come with fins, but really, come on, when it’s 5c out and your splashing through frigid puddles and mud do we really need heat dispersing rads on our pads?

Keep the finned ones for the Alps and that.

cuda17
    Free Member

Not noticed any difference myself but only started running them since May. Obs had a few bad weather days but the real test is yet to come i feel

threerock44
    Free Member

Slight thread derail. I’ve just bought a 2017 Trance with XT brakes, but will also keep going my Old Trek Fuel EX which has, at a guess, 8 year old XT brakes. Just looking at the calipers, the pads are definitely a different shape. How do you find out which flavour of XT brake you have, I can’t find any numbers on the calipers, and any paperwork I had is long gone.

oldfart

Mine have the code etched on the reservoir if that’s any help ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The newer ones will be M8000, which is the same as m785 (and the XTR and SLX equivalent). Some sites still refer to it as XTR as that obviously got the new pad shape first.

threerock44
    Free Member

Thanks oldfart and thisisnotaspoon.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Need some XT pads, which ones to get?’ is closed to new replies.