Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Need an alternative to mtbing
  • muggomagic

After last weekends ride/push/carry on the downs, I'm not gonna bother until the trails dry out a bit. My bike was in a right state and it was completely unenjoyable.
    Playing 5-aside football was always my alternative, but last time I played I really buggered my knee and it meant I was off the bike for around 2 months.
    So I'm after suggestions of something I can do to keep/get fit, where I can turn up as and when I feel (only want to do it when conditions are poor), and that I can do of an evening when the kids are in bed.
    Please help before I turn into an even fatter, grumpier mess.

baldSpot
    Free Member

GET OUT

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Run.

Whatever you do stop moaning!

sc-xc

I love martial arts, or get some weights in the garage…great stress refief!

luked2
    Free Member

Get some skinnier tyres. They won't pick up quite so much mud.

tinsy
    Free Member

Buy an MX bike.

dmiller
    Free Member

Can you ride bikes on the road? Would be ace if you could! You could leave from your house and do a few hours in the evening! You should totally start one of those prime minister website petition to allow bikes on the road! We could have races and everything. I'm gonna call it 'road cycling' and see if it catches on! 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

cynic-al:

Whatever you do stop moaning!

My Irony Detector just blew up. Weird.

KT1973
    Free Member

Go to the gym or ride your MTB on the road or pathways

nina
    Free Member

MTBation?

muggomagic

Dmiller. Your idea sound shite. It'll never catch on.

Post on internet forums.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've taken to the roads for the first time ever and rather enjoying it!
    Akin to some resistance training, decked out with mud guards, lights front & rear, I've been exploring the local villages.
    Managing I've been doing 3hrs and 42 miles at a ride and feel great for it.
    It's really surprised me how hard it is, just pedalling pretty non-stop for that length of time with winter tyres f&rear

It's very sound base-training and really good for my aeoribic fitness levels.

dmiller
    Free Member

Indeed, you still need to mtfu with the weather. Says david, posting from his phone on the bus as i just couldn't be arsed cycling to work in the snow again today! 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

edtied as I was being an ar5e…

Jamie
    Free Member

edtied as I was being an ar5e…

Spoilsport.

nickc

What's this MTB you're talking about?

zaskar
    Free Member

Roadbike!

Guitar?

Something social.

Jamie
    Free Member

After actually your post OP, i would recommend finding your local climbing wall or go swimming. Both should be easy-ish on the knee, can be done in the evenings and are weatherproof.

ianv
    Free Member

Deffo road bikes for winter!
    Climbing, Gym for cross training but they wont keep the weight off.

fotorat
    Free Member

get with winter and take up Ice skating, makes loads of new friends and all in a swich air conditioned environment

MicArms

I find staying in and burning a stack of 5 or 10 pounds is almost the same as riding at the mo… pads, cassettes, bearings, chains…….

lowey

Got to have the bad days to appreciate the good ones.

traildog
    Free Member

yoga

Keva
    Free Member

http://www.britmilfit.com/

turn up for a free session copy their routines/ideas and off you go on your own.

swimming is another alternative, not quite as exhilarating as mtbikes but keeps yer fit and it don't matter on the weather.

Kev

Ti29er
    Free Member

Soory – my post might have mislead you to believe I have a road bike!
    I take the mountain bike with 2.0f and 2.2r winter tyres on the road.
    That's why it's like resitance training & it's hard graft!

vondally
    Free Member

all of above but add fell running, the down bits are akin to moutain biking especially if you are with real fell runners, legs and arms whirling really good fun.

woodsman
    Free Member

girlfriend! sorry 😉

surlyrider
    Free Member

Build a cheap 'cross/road/ss/fixed – up from the bits in your shed/someone elses shed.

Get cross tyres or skinny 26-ers that roll nicely.

Ride to work the long way (different routes all the time)

Ride home the long way.

Weekends and longer evenings – put together some routes that invovle small country lanes/hardpack green lanes/bridleways/cyclepaths/towpaths/

Do big loops,all over the place.

Get your mtb out and ride the nearest city/town/village/urban area :- play on steps,street furnature,parks, small backlanes – link them together with local cyclepaths. You will find stuff all over the place.

Get some rollers and practice riding one legged,one handed,no handed…..

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>My bike was in a right state and it was completely unenjoyable<

Awwww, you wee lamb…..

shedfull
    Free Member

+1 for running and it'll build heart and lungs and burn off fat to make you're riding better when the trails improve.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you tart!

muggomagic

It's more to do with the fact it was so muddy that the wheels won't turn. I'm not into carrying my bike round a route. Those tough guys that say mtfu good for you, if you do stuff for the sake of it and not because you enjoy it then you'll make someone a great wife.

Thanks for the tips. Been down the leisure centre this morning and they have circuit training of a Wednesday evening which sounds like it might be good.

br
    Free Member

Are you by any chance one of the posters' who advocate running the same tyres all year-round?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's more to do with the fact it was so muddy that the wheels won't turn.

and

Are you by any chance one of the posters' who advocate running the same tyres all year-round?

if the wheels won't turn then there must be plenty of grip or if jammed then the tyres are irrelevant ?

poppa
    Free Member

Circuit training is great, quite addictive once you find the right level of effort to keep going for the whole session.

Personally, I reccommend road cycling. Especially if you can get a cheap road bike. Not only does it keep you fit, but you are keeping your cycling specific fitness up so when you get back on the MTB you will be a god.

poppa
    Free Member

Fit people sweat more for a given level of (power) exertion.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Turbo trainer? Comedy motivation for you in this thread from a while back. 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Need an alternative to mtbing’ is closed to new replies.