• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poly.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Nearly saw a crash. Heard it though.
  • teethgrinder

Brain dump alert!

Nice ride out for me today. Not so for the young lad on a motorbike I passed, mind.

Traveling along a single track road to get to a decent, fast downhill offroad section. Bushes at both sides were quite overgrown so needed to be a way away from the side to not get nettled or torn.

Motorbiker coming the other way had the same idea on a bend, unfortunately there was a van behind me (I didn’t know at the time). Which he glanced off the side of and then hit the ground. I only heard this… Didn’t actually see it.

Van stopped, I turned around and 999 was called. Ambulance was going to be 3 hours wait, but a passing driver knew a GP in the local village, so she came and triaged him. Also got the police there and they hurried the ambulance along.

Lad was lucky it wasn’t a head on. A few cm’s to his right and it would’ve been more this a suspected smashed collar bone/shoulder.

Also, please wear leathers and gloves on a motorbike. Lucky for the lad it was a relatively low speed collision.

999 don’t really know where you are even with a road name. What3words came in handy, but pronunciation is key.

GP’s are pretty awesome, too (as is the rest of the NHS).

It’d also be nice if the bushes on single track roads could be trimmed.

TL;DR
    I was mildly inconvenienced.

Cougar

Also, please wear leathers and gloves on a motorbike

If nothing else in this weather, please wear gloves. What’s the first thing to hit the ground?

A big Kwak came past us at the weekend clearly having fun, but aside from a lid he was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. come unstuck mate, they’re gonna need a spatula. I wince when I see teens on rev’n’rips without gloves, let alone someone on a 1000cc sports bike.

dyna-ti

What3words came in handy, but pronunciation is key.

If thats a problem walk 20 feet and see if the new words are less of a problem. It’s not like the responding crew are going to miss it, given the nature of the event.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If nothing else in this weather, please wear gloves. What’s the first thing to hit the ground?

A big Kwak came past us at the weekend clearly having fun, but aside from a lid he was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. come unstuck mate, they’re gonna need a spatula. I wince when I see teens on rev’n’rips without gloves, let alone someone on a 1000cc sports bike.

I’m the same. All the gear, all the time. Without exception.

Onzadog
    Free Member

3hrs for an ambulance? I’m assuming the guy was conscious, breathing and not bleeding out otherwise that’s a really worrying indicator of just how neglected or public services really are.

singletrackmind

Is it though?
    Could it be that the recent surge in corona cases, leading to hospital admission added to the thousands having to self isolate due to the track and trace app has left tha ambulance service overstretched
    Agree more staff and vehicles would help, but getting people out of ambos and into a and e asap would help enormously

MoreCashThanDash

3hrs for an ambulance? I’m assuming the guy was conscious, breathing and not bleeding out otherwise that’s a really worrying indicator of just how neglected or public services really are.

That’s not unusual, and hasn’t been for some time. June 2019 a ruder broke his hip and pelvis on a club ride, and we were quoted 2 hours. Luckily while we were on the phone a passing ambulance stopped and they dealt with him, partly as he was blocking a junction I suspect, but that added to someone else’s wait time. Corona will have only made that worse

thegeneralist
    Free Member

999 don’t really know where you are even with a road name.

Yeah. It can be quite terrifying. Couple of years ago we eventually cracked and called plod on the guy next door who was beating shit out of his wife in a very noisy and unpleasant way. I gave them our exact address and postcode and told them clearly that it was the ground floor flat on the other side of what was essentially a huge pair of semi detached houses divided into flats. They insisted on knowing the postcode of the perp’s house and I insisted I wasn’t going to go round and ask him.
    I again told them exactly how to get to the neighbour’s flat and made it quite clear they must not under any circumstances tell him who had reported it, or come anywhere near us.

20 minutes later there’s a group of clueless plod morons assembled in our garden knocking on the door and loudly asking us to direct them to the violent moron…

The joys of living next to a halfway house.

Unbelievable.

binners

Also, please wear leathers and gloves on a motorbike. Lucky for the lad it was a relatively low speed collision.

Yip. Even if you’re just nipping down to the shop. I can’t believe the people you see out on big bikes with shorts and t-shirts. Lose it and they’re going to be literally scraping you up.

I’ve had a big, high-speed off in full leathers which were completely written off. God knows how long I slid for? They did their job though. Without them I doubt there would have been much left of me.

On another note, the sound of a motorbikes engine casings and fairings grinding themselves to pieces on tarmac as it slides on its side is something that once experienced will never ever leave you. Makes me shudder now just thinking about it.

teethgrinder

It was only low speed – probably 20mph combined, but tarmac is canny hard.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

A friend had a head on collision with a speeding car on Tuesday. Broken neck, back, fingers, both legs in multiple places amongst other horrendous deep lacerations.

Ambulance quoted 2 hours. He was going to die. Somehow he managed to call his wife who knew a local ex paramedic. They got to him ASAP and saved his life.

Ambulances were already attending an incident where someone had drowned in a clearly signed “no swimming” flooded quarry.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/louise-clark-763

TheDTs
    Free Member

Came across a dreadful crash today. A36 nr Warminster. Not sure what happened but the driver in a Mazda mx5 has life threatening injuries according the local news. He was sprawled across the boot when we passed, two other cars very badly damaged / unrecognisable. One police car on site and several people stopped “helping”. Going to look into further first aid training tomorrow. Standard first aid one day course didn’t seem too relevant. I hope he pulls through.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Ambulances were already attending an incident where someone had drowned in a clearly signed “no swimming” flooded quarry.

Should they not have attended then?

dyna-ti

You dont need an ambulance for someone who has already drowned, its an undertakers van.

3hrs for an ambulance?

There was an accident in Glasgow a day or so ago, the worker was unloading a crane when the load slipped out, landed on his leg crushing it. The wait for the ambulance was over an hour.

Statement from the ambulance service was “It was triaged according to the information that was given over the phone. We prioritise our responses according to clinical need.”
    I would have thought an accident involving many tons landing on a workers leg crushing it would bloody well be a No1 priority. Especially given the worker had to have the leg amputated. Pretty horrific to have to wait over an hour.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You dont need an ambulance for someone who has already drowned, its an undertakers van.

Who confirms that they’re definitely dead?

reeksy

Gee Atherton should read this thread 🙁

willard

Yeah, always wear the PPE, even if it is a short ride. It saves skin and lives. A nurse friend used to tell us tales of “degloving” for bikers that chose to ignore gloves.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

That’s not the point. The point (as this seems to be hard for some to understand) is: our emergency services are not funded to the levels they require.

poly
    Free Member

Statement from the ambulance service was “It was triaged according to the information that was given over the phone. We prioritise our responses according to clinical need.”
    I would have thought an accident involving many tons landing on a workers leg crushing it would bloody well be a No1 priority.

No 1 priority is always going to be a casualty who isn’t breathing.
    Then probably cardiac symptoms.
    Then unconscious but breathing.
    Then stroke & sepsis cases which are time critical
    Then come the conscious trauma cases.
    Then come the rest…

(their scoring system is likely more sophisticated than this- but – leg injury, conscious is not that close to the top of the list never mind no1 on any system). Did the fire brigade attend? If they didn’t it would suggest to me that the quality of the original call is actually the problem, which is perhaps what they ambulance service are getting at.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Nearly saw a crash. Heard it though.’ is closed to new replies.