Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Nearest uplift to Altrincham
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

The wean has decided he wants downhill MTB tomorrow. I have no idea.
    Styniog seems to be two hours away. Farmer John’s is somewhere near here I think but no uplift.

Any other assisted uplift biking closer than 2 hours…..?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There’s that wee forest on the far side.. lady cannings. No uplift, so I might need the tow rope.

Hmmmmm

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Dyfi?

JP

colp

No uplift at FJ but the push up is easy and the nipper will love it there

thegeneralist
    Free Member

dyfi, as in near Mach? Thinks that’s even further than Styniog.

colp, sound promising. Have a sneaky feeling they mandate full face, which I don’t got. Will have a look.

Cheers both

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Balls FF mandatory.
    Non detachable chinguard too. So double balls.

Tracey

An hour away from Greno. No uplifts but that doesn’t seem to bother the kids.
    Its still running well with all the poor weather we have had.
    FJs was full face last time we rode.

dandasbike
    Free Member

been dyfi twice and it genuinely is gnar. revs has loads of easy trails you should defo give that a whirl sometime.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Revolution Bike Park is nearest I think
    That’s still nearly 2 hours
    I have heard that it is HARD though

The 2nd closest will be Stiniog

A lot of the other stuff mentioned does not even have an uplift!

riklegge

From Altrincham, Gnar bike park near Penrith (?) isn’t too bad, or Havok at Todmorden.

colp

Revs is absolutely ace but some of the trails are steep/rooty and bloody tricky in the wet.
    However, you can roll everything on Freeride and Red DH and I’ve seen plenty of decent youngsters on them.

danaldinho
    Free Member

Antur Stiniog is a bit more approachable than Revs, I find. I’m only happy to run Freeride at Revs, but there are three trails at Stiniog that I really enjoy.

Stiniog is also an easier drive from Alty – M56, A55, A470.

Havok is closer than both Welsh options and a lot of fun, even though it’s push up. It’s a good taster of the uplifting vibe.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Greno ho……..
    Usual late start…..

IdleJon

There’s that wee forest on the far side.. lady cannings. No uplift, so I might need the tow rope.

The climb is almost exactly half a mile, and 200ft elevation. You wouldn’t even have time to eat a packet of crisps while walking up it, never mind need an uplift. 😁

It’s also significantly easier than anything else mentioned.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Got to be honest, that didn’t really work. Nice track, Steel City, but I just couldn’t get into it at all. The idea of pushing up just didn’t do it for me, and pushing up next to the track was even worse. I could push all the way to the top, but the top bit’s not that good. So I’ll just start here. And then of course the further down you go the further up you have to push…

I just couldn’t relax and get into it. And jumping just don’t work if you don’t get into it.

Hmmmm. Will defo try Revs and Antur at some point though

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry people. Thanks for all the advice. I will be less shit next time . Honest.

Tracey

What did the lad think

thegeneralist
    Free Member

He liked it but was troubled by my uselessness. He didn’t do any of the three bigger gaps but bounced off all the minor stuff. As usual he flew off downhill at a fair pace. Normally I can keep up with him, but need to get my eye in, and not be utterly exhausted from a summer of working 60+ hours per week. So I kept dropping back and he didn’t like that as much.

Normally we whizz down stuff feeding off each others buzz and pissing about jumping and whooping. But with me being a useless scummer he didn’t feel the joy.

I tried doing some photo sessions but didn’t even manage to get that right.

Love watching him ride though, it looks so effortless.

grannyjone
    Free Member

If your not going to uplift you might as well give Lee Quarry a try that is probably one of the closest places with trail centre type trails.

As for Uplifts I find Antur Stiniog is very approachable, I’m not great but can get down all the tracks there from the Blue to both Blacks although I always give the big drop off a miss.

It is unforgiving if you crash there though and any bad weather (wind and rain) can make it very difficult.

It is not that hard to get down the trails but the skill needed do them fast and to clear the jumps is on another level altogether!!
    Which makes it suitable for most skill levels from near Beginners like me to the Pros.

I’ve not been to Revs but have been told there are some trails there that I wouldn’t even be able to get down at all and it’s even harder when very wet.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Yes any sort of push up never does anything for me.

Can’t wait until I get an Ebike

campalumpa
    Free Member

Foel gasnach near Ruthin? Just over an hour away. 4 different trails

johnw1984
    Free Member

I found Foel Gasnach quite steep and techy on my 130mm trail bike. I’m sure I’d have found it better with a slacker bike and flats rather then spds though 🙂

We had a few dickheads who weren’t waiting their turn on the overbooked uplift though. Has potential to be a really good venue and they’ve got a lot of plans apparently.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Right. Antur Styniog booked for tomorrow.
    Exciting stuff

😄😁😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oh this is simply unbelievable. His football on Sunday is cancelled due to waterlogged pitch.
    And the forecast on Sunday is amazing.

Snowdon …. Perhaps. Proper hard day out

Anyone fancy a pint in the Bryn Tyrch on Saturday night?

Woooohooooo

Tracey

I hope he’s as exited as you. Good weekend forcast. Just arrived in the Peak for a weekend riding and walking 😎

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Nearest uplift to Altrincham’ is closed to new replies.